PDA

View Full Version : Water cloudy after water change

Jon532
02/02/2017, 06:44 PM
Ok so posted this earlier in the Aquaforest forum and didn't get a response so I'll try here.
Did a large water change on my 120g last night of 60g. Used AF Probiotic Salt, the mix was clear when I added to the tank. The sand was not disturbed. When I got home from work today (and still is) the tank was really cloudy.
Any ideas what is the cause of this??
I'll add a couple pics but they really don't show just how cloudy the tank is.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/a9f675d78ed1a901cf755d4cecd3d03a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/1f4af4366f3655574565572b72979774.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon532
02/02/2017, 06:47 PM
Also I'll add that I've never had this happen before with this salt usually it's clear as a bell soon as added.... however this is the largest single water change I've done.... tank has been up around 11 months

timnem70
02/02/2017, 07:06 PM
You have serious nutrient removal issues it seems. Bad algae, Cyno and... can't really tell but it's definitely leeching something. People are gonna ask so I will first.
Parameters?
Equipment for waste removal?
(Fuge, skimmer etc.)
What type livestock?
Live rock or reefrock?
11 months? Are you sure? I see zero Coralline or any growth on anything but the rocks and sand bed. Not calling you out but...
Please don't misconstrue my intentions and I am not trying get to be a jerk but generally when someone posts pics, without any other info I am skeptical.
We/I would like to help you succeed, please give more info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jon532
02/02/2017, 08:12 PM
Parameters are as follows just finished testing and may have found issue.

Sal. 34 ppm refrac and confirmed by apex
Ca 470
Alk 7.8 dkh. (Hanna)
Mag. Off the charts high ( tested twice)
Nitrate 10 ppm
All tests done with Red Sea kits.

As for equip I have a sump.
Skimz 161 skimmer
Reactor running AF carbon, pos minus and ZeoMix
Also had some marine pure in the sump but yesterday I removed it all and replaced with the new AF Life Bio Fil media.

I do have some Cyno on the sand... I do have one small spot of coralline but not much at all... I've asked about that previously as I thought that was odd. And yes close to 11 months mid March to early April last year.

Jon532
02/02/2017, 08:18 PM
Also I set the tank up with dry rock and "Ocean direct" sand ... other than this cyno I've not had much of an issue with bad algae.

timnem70
02/02/2017, 08:21 PM
What do you think it is? That's what I like to see. Sorry if I came off dickish.

Jon532
02/02/2017, 08:27 PM
Well the mag being high I was worried about.... but the Aquaforest people seem to think it's a bacterial bloom from such a large water change using the Probiotic salt.

No u didn't come off as dickish at all...
what do you like to see?

ca1ore
02/02/2017, 08:41 PM
Whenever a tank is cloudy folks always seem to think it's a bacterial bloom. I've never had one in 30 years of reefing. It could equally easily be some kind of precipitation.

ericarenee
02/02/2017, 08:47 PM
Whenever a tank is cloudy folks always seem to think it's a bacterial bloom. I've never had one in 30 years of reefing. It could equally easily be some kind of precipitation.

i agree with this..

i wonder if the ALk or mag was way high or off in this new salt mix causing it to cause a reaction similar to Kalk...

this is the most likely cause..

It has happened to me in my smaller tanks a few times...

Jon532
02/02/2017, 08:47 PM

Well I think that was the suggestion based on that salt contains probiotic bacteria. I do agree it could be precipitation... especially with Mag testing so high

ca1ore
02/02/2017, 08:55 PM
i agree with this..

i wonder if the ALk or mag was way high or off in this new salt mix causing it to cause a reaction similar to Kalk...

this is the most likely cause..

It has happened to me in my smaller tanks a few times...

Yep, that'd be my guess.

ca1ore
02/02/2017, 08:57 PM
Well I think that was the suggestion based on that salt contains probiotic bacteria. I do agree it could be precipitation... especially with Mag testing so high

Not saying it couldn't be a BB, but it's a 'lazy' diagnosis in my opinion. BB would require a food source, and presumably would have an odour.

timnem70
02/02/2017, 08:59 PM
Well the mag being high I was worried about.... but the Aquaforest people seem to think it's a bacterial bloom from such a large water change using the Probiotic salt.

No u didn't come off as dickish at all...
what do you like to see?

Listing the parameters and you actually thinking and reading before acting. Too many on here read, "slow down and hold up" but do it anyway and then ask... "why is my stuff dying or why is my tank doing this Or that. Responsible reefing. Good on ya.

ericarenee
02/02/2017, 09:00 PM
Not saying it couldn't be a BB, but it's a 'lazy' diagnosis in my opinion. BB would require a food source, and presumably would have an odour.

not to mention a water change would dilute the bacteria or even algae bloom and not feed it... But if the salt mix did do so it would not be a salt mix i would use..
I like mixes like ia and Kent then dose it to what i need ...

we never needed all that elevated stuff 20 years ago and really do not need it now...

timnem70
02/02/2017, 09:02 PM
Mag being high in an established tank has been studied to neither really help or harm. In others it will precipitate and not mix. It's like when you mix Buffer and salt water...cloudy.. buffer and plain RODI mixes up clear. Don't know if that's what's up but... anyone else. All are valid and possible reasons.

Jon532
02/05/2017, 09:55 PM
not to mention a water change would dilute the bacteria or even algae bloom and not feed it... But if the salt mix did do so it would not be a salt mix i would use..

I like mixes like ia and Kent then dose it to what i need ...

we never needed all that elevated stuff 20 years ago and really do not need it now...

Water change with his salt wouldn't because it contains bacteria and carbon source. However the water was crystal clear the next morning and everything seems all good.

outssider
02/06/2017, 06:09 PM
Red sea mag. test maxes out at 2000 ppm although you can add more reagent to the test vial and keep going. each additional drop of reagent is 20 ppm. it's highly unlikely that the salt water added had that much mag. I suspect an error in the test somehow. either way I doubt that had anything to do with the cloudiness of your water but you still need to resolve the issue of the mag. testing very high.

timnem70
02/06/2017, 06:41 PM
Red sea mag. test maxes out at 2000 ppm although you can add more reagent to the test vial and keep going. each additional drop of reagent is 20 ppm. it's highly unlikely that the salt water added had that much mag. I suspect an error in the test somehow. either way I doubt that had anything to do with the cloudiness of your water but you still need to resolve the issue of the mag. testing very high.
It may. I used Fritz RPM for a while and Mag in it and in IORC is extremely high. Also, if I'm not mistaken The Red Sea titration test for mag. (According to multiple videos I just watched) is inaccurate to the point that two of the guys wouldn't even give a review. Also offers believe it for 1ml syringe the max read is 1500? Is that correct or is it 2000. Like you mentioned though, you can continue if you used the full 1ml.
My Red Sea Mag. Always reads really high as well and I am convinced that it is incorrect. I will get it checked at Aquamart tomorrow and see by just how much. [emoji15] Tanks Alot.

Galaxy S7 Edge

Jon532
02/06/2017, 07:31 PM
Red Sea kit tops out at 1500 mag

Jon532
02/06/2017, 07:31 PM
If that test is not accurate what brand should I buy that's more accurate