PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a closed loop again?

VanJuKy
02/02/2017, 06:44 PM
I know it is a pretty simple question, but I have never had one before. I hear of the odd nightmare but maybe they are few and far between. I hear of the odd tank splitting as well, but I will still have an aquarium in my home. What are your thoughts. I have a 300 gallon tank to get ready for water and now is the time to decide if I put one in or not. I have a Reeflo Dart sitting right here with no use.

What would you do on your next build?

Do you have one?

How long have you had it?

Did you get rid of one?

Did you have leaks?

Cheers,
J.

tom obrecht
02/03/2017, 08:54 AM
I had one years ago and eventually replaced it with powerheads. In this age of equipment and water movt options I personally feel closed loops are not the best options anymore. With gyres, Tunzes, Vortecs and others with so much controllability I think you can get just about any kind of water movt you want easily.

King Jason
02/03/2017, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't. Too many other options that seem to better w/ less risk of issues. I didn't have any problem with mine, but it seems like there are choices with less risk, less complexity and are showing equal or better results.

That being said, I have seen some great closed loops that work in conjunction with other movement options to get to hard to reach places in a tank or create specific movements that power heads would have a hard time doing. Maybe under rock work or behind a large rock pile in the center or back of a large tank.