PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Strength Coral Shears

ca1ore
02/03/2017, 04:04 PM
Need to do some serious pruning. Many of the coral branches are 5/8" and resisting my small shears. Already crushed the tip'of one finger. I'd like not to add any others. Any recommendations for a large cutter? I see BRS sells one.

Zatoichi
02/03/2017, 05:03 PM
I always like the Rio Precision professional Coral Clippers

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

FamilyTank
02/03/2017, 05:08 PM
I have no experience at this, let me get that out there.
Could you use wire cutters or tin snips?

Sk8r
02/03/2017, 05:10 PM
Generally lps branching is hand-breakable. What on earth are you growing that defeats the shears? :)

Zatoichi
02/03/2017, 05:20 PM
Oh I thought we were talking about SPS if you can remove the coral from the tank you can set it on a piece of wood and hit it with a hammer and chisel or a Spade drill bit to fracture the LPS branches at the base where they connect it is not an exact science and a wet bandsaw is always best

tkeracer619
02/03/2017, 06:08 PM
I use large side cutters for hammer corals but the downside is they rust something fierce after use. I dip them in veggie oil after a good rinse.

I used to have a great pair of stainless bone snips that were the best. Can't find them anymore :(

vhuang168
02/03/2017, 08:12 PM
I use the coral cutters from Aquavitro. I can pop off the stems from coral plugs easily.

They also have the crescent cutters that look super aggressive. I also have those but never used it.

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/tools.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
02/03/2017, 09:30 PM
Generally lps branching is hand-breakable. What on earth are you growing that defeats the shears? :)

It's a blue acro that I mounted on one of those mag shelf thingees that's developed some seriously thick branches. If I hand snap it I will pull the shelf off the rear wall which will fracture the encrusting growth. This blue acro is tough as nails and it's all I can do to cut the tough base branches.

D-Nak
02/04/2017, 12:41 AM
Are you cutting your SPS with shears (scissors) or bone cutters? Most people use bone cutters to frag coral.

When I upgraded one of my Radions, Ecotech was kind enough to also include a pair of their "bone cutting forceps" which are actually really nice. They're my first pair that actually resists rust, and are larger than most typical bone cutters, allowing me more leverage when cutting off the stems of plugs (like Vincent mentioned).

The "BRS Large Curved Blade SPS Coral Bone Cutter" would probably do the trick, but you may need to be extra careful to avoid rust.

Zatoichi
02/04/2017, 04:29 AM
You can also put some cheater bars on your current cutters to give you more leverage usually they use 1 foot pieces of half inch conduit or PVC possibly

ca1ore
02/04/2017, 11:08 AM
Are you cutting your SPS with shears (scissors) or bone cutters? Most people use bone cutters to frag coral.

When I upgraded one of my Radions, Ecotech was kind enough to also include a pair of their "bone cutting forceps" which are actually really nice. They're my first pair that actually resists rust, and are larger than most typical bone cutters, allowing me more leverage when cutting off the stems of plugs (like Vincent mentioned).

The "BRS Large Curved Blade SPS Coral Bone Cutter" would probably do the trick, but you may need to be extra careful to avoid rust.

I'm using bone cutters, yes. Was able to work my way through the offending branch. Next time I do a BRS order, I will get the curved blade cutter.

mfinn
02/04/2017, 05:12 PM
When I upgraded one of my Radions, Ecotech was kind enough to also include a pair of their "bone cutting forceps" which are actually really nice.

Shoot. I thought I was special when I got mine from them when I upgraded mine.:rollface::rollface: