PDA

View Full Version : My acrylic 220. 1 overflow good enough?

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 02:05 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/80a52507c2ca94d8642cf4e3e41b1a69.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/74b6a06b94c29ac60d30ab69c03134f0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/8400128913e735b63a1360d108e1eddb.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 02:31 PM
Sorry for the pics. In the middle of a water change ATM. Obvious hair algae issue

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 02:38 PM
Overflow is 5x4x30

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the help!

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 05:36 PM
I had this aquarium up and very well established by the way. Just had a anemone nuke the tank. Figured I would ask to get some opinions.... Oh well

dave.m
02/04/2017, 05:41 PM
You could put in a Durso if that's what you're asking. You haven't given the size of the overflow pipe, the size of the sump or what pump you're using. The less overflow/return capacity the more you will have to depend on powerheads for water circulation within the display tank.

Dave.M

IvanTheTerrible
02/04/2017, 06:22 PM
Figured I would ask to get some opinions.... Oh well

You posted 5 times in three and a half hours and then gave up. My opinion is you might be in the wrong hobby.

I don't understand your question. You said the tank was established, so isn't that evidence enough that the overflow was sufficient?

- Ivan

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 06:59 PM
Your right. Obviously I have ran aquariums and been successful at it for years. Obviously I came to the wrong place for answers. Was just curious about keeping SPS and hard to keep corals since I only kept soft corals.

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 07:00 PM
Never had to use a forum before figured I would give it a shot to see if it would help. My mistake

brianschucker
02/04/2017, 07:05 PM
I just started this forum. I'd heard people were rude and nasty to each other over here. The FIRST post I look at and this is what I see. I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 07:10 PM
Ivan I see I are new to the hobby and have 0 experience running a large aquarium... Why did u even choose to reply on this forum just curious?

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 07:11 PM
Brian u need to have thicker skin to deal with the internet bud.

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 07:22 PM
You could put in a Durso if that's what you're asking. You haven't given the size of the overflow pipe, the size of the sump or what pump you're using. The less overflow/return capacity the more you will have to depend on powerheads for water circulation within the display tank.

Dave.M
Thank you Dave! I'll take that into consideration. I have two inch pvc going from Main display to Refuge. Only 30-gallon Refuge as of now.

Kyle218
02/04/2017, 07:33 PM
I agree. I am the one who asked the question in this forum.

dave.m
02/04/2017, 08:45 PM
Perhaps I can offer my own opinions and you may think about it:

First of all, this is not a chat room. It can take hours or days to get a response sometimes. No-one here "owes" you a response.

Also, the more info you can give up front the better and more applicable will be the answers you get, e.g. if you have no experience or ten years experience, specs and specs and specs of what you have and what you are trying to achieve, etc.

Also also, it helps if you have done some research and indicate that in your post so people will know where you are coming from when you ask your questions. I have seen people ask for stuff that I found within two seconds by doing a simple Google search. People here are more than willing to help but you have to at least make some effort first.

Lastly, be prepared to get all levels of experience in the answers and take it in stride. This is just a group of folks hanging out on the Internet. If you want in-depth technical answers perhaps you should go buy a book (or several).

Maybe all the above makes me a dick. I have been accused of as much and worse here on RC.

Dave.M

worm5406
02/04/2017, 08:47 PM
Well to the both of you, welcome to ReefCentral.

What is the size of the return pump, you said the drain is 2" to a refuguium, but does that go into a sump or is the return pump there?

It would be nice if you could set up some sort of emergency return too, incase one gets clogged.

I understand hair algae. I have had a bount or two with it, even with a cycled rock/tank.

jimmy n
02/04/2017, 08:59 PM
Agree with last two posts. Enough for what? Be patient with responses. One overflow can be enough if you are not counting on your return for flow. Your return pump is key to answering this question. As well as your in tank flow. Please include return pump and planned in tank flow and your questions may or may not be answered.

Don't be a baby if it's not.

brianschucker
02/05/2017, 06:55 AM
Perhaps I can offer my own opinions and you may think about it:

First of all, this is not a chat room. It can take hours or days to get a response sometimes. No-one here "owes" you a response.

Also, the more info you can give up front the better and more applicable will be the answers you get, e.g. if you have no experience or ten years experience, specs and specs and specs of what you have and what you are trying to achieve, etc.

Also also, it helps if you have done some research and indicate that in your post so people will know where you are coming from when you ask your questions. I have seen people ask for stuff that I found within two seconds by doing a simple Google search. People here are more than willing to help but you have to at least make some effort first.

Lastly, be prepared to get all levels of experience in the answers and take it in stride. This is just a group of folks hanging out on the Internet. If you want in-depth technical answers perhaps you should go buy a book (or several).

Maybe all the above makes me a dick. I have been accused of as much and worse here on RC.

Dave.M

Dave- you're right- not a chat. Also, I don't see where you said anything earlier, so wasn't referring to you.

My point is that most of us new to the hobby are here to get help, learn, and yes, even socialize a little on the hobby. It's not a chat, but... we are chatting. Your response was perfect. Let everyone know that in order to get some input, you experienced reefers need more info that what we consider up front sometimes. I've been a member of other forums for quite a while, so I know the drill now, but in the beginning I felt really dumb.

Again, posts like yours above are exactly what I would be looking for- direction. We all learned at some point, right? I read every book I could find (prefer them to the net) and watched many hours of video. When we come up to a road block, sometimes our posts are knee-jerk because the issue doesn't exactly match what we see and it doesn't make sense. That's our lack of experience and usually why we go to forums. I just think it was interesting that I was told in person which forums to go to and which ones to stay away from, and the reasons showed on the very first post I came to (which wasn't yours, btw). We are all, after all, humans- at so many different stages of life and the hobby. The way we talk to each other does matter.

And yes, we have to be willing to do some research first- speaking for myself, I do the google searches and the reading myself first. I browse the threads (which can be difficult at times), but then I also tend to post a similar question. Each time we post a question, even if new, attracts different members to give answers. There are SO many answers out there that aren't necessarily right, so having multiple inputs is awesome. That's why I love forums..

Again, imo you're response was exactly what I would expect from an experienced reefeer to a young(ish) newbie. So thanks :-)

As for some of the others... eh. I'll keep browsing this forum but I think I'll stay away from asking questions if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misled
02/05/2017, 09:18 AM
This thread has been cleaned up, and infractions handed out. For those new here, this is a family friendly board. Keep your language clean and treat everyone with respect please. If you can't, feel free to go away.

Kyle, you need to give more info on your set up. How many gallons per hour is your return pump. Adding an extra overflow won't make much difference if you aren't upping the flow from the return. Are you looking for more water movement in the tank? This would be better accomplished by pumps in the tank. Do you have a skimmer? What's in your sump?

moondoggy4
02/05/2017, 10:23 AM
A good place for people wanting to learn how to keep a successful tank are Tank Builds, find one that inspires you and can relate to, copy success. A problem with being new is not knowing what questions to ask or what the answer means, most go the local fish stores LFS and get spotty information and mostly trial by error.

Also the New to the hobby is a great place. Ask the first question and then start another thread or keep the one going especially if you got a lot of people there who are helpful.

Kyle I would turn down your lights I would not have them over 30% as you can see the side with more lights has more algae, look into a reactor for GFO BRS is a sponsor here and they have lots of videos on different aspects of this hobby.

Brian and Kyle Welcome to Reef Central.

Brian you can introduce yourself on one of the threads show what you have as equipment and what you are wanting to accomplish, like I stated build threads are great.