PDA

View Full Version : Clowns tearing up angelfish

JammyBirch
02/05/2017, 05:00 PM
Got a pair of osc clowns that have been trying to spawn in my 25g mixed reef. The cherub angel was messing around near the clown nest, in the sandbed. I saw the female chase the clown a little bit yesterday. ..

Well today the angel is tore up pretty bad, fins are really destroyed. The female has been aggressive to the other clown and me in the past but I was really suprises by the state of the angel.

Going to get rid of the clowns to a bigger tank, I hope the angel will recover but I doubt it. This is bumming me out I've had these fish for over three years and I've never lost a fish.

Anyone have any advise or thoughts?

f3honda4me
02/05/2017, 05:05 PM
Far as I know those angels can be aggressive and require a tank twice that size, so I guess I'm not surprised? :/

JammyBirch
02/05/2017, 05:15 PM
Ah, the clown is being aggressive as the angel is the one who is beat up. They've been in the together for 3+ years so I am suprised.

outssider
02/05/2017, 05:57 PM
what I've noticed with mine is that some fish will get a pass, allowed to go right up to the eggs and others must stay clear. crabs will get the boot fast.

Sk8r
02/05/2017, 06:03 PM
I can only say I kept a piranha and never was bitten while working in the tank. I kept Clarkii clowns and was regularly bitten bloody. Clowns fear neither man nor fish, and will enforce their territory. You pretty well have to give them half the tank. Get the unfortunate angel out, medicate if needed: generally see if you can get it to take food soaked in Selcon, a supplement. It'll be shocky and need some quiet and safety and feeding. Fins can grow back fairly fast unless it got into the meaty tissue at the body.

kuzko
02/05/2017, 06:05 PM
I mean the problem is pretty clear. You have spawning clowns and a dwarf Angel in a tank that's barely big enough for the pair of clowns. Plus, Im assuming you have more than the 3 fish. Shouldn't surprise you that spawning clowns are protective. They are not aggressive, they are protective. Your cherub is a curious and active fish. There's a reason they're not recommended in less than 55 gallons even though they only hit 3-4". So you have a dwarf Angel in a tank that's less than half the recommended size and a pair of clowns protecting their nest. I mean there's no real question here, you're overstocked and your clowns felt the angel was a threat.

davocean
02/05/2017, 06:59 PM
I agree, tank is barely big enough for a pair of mated/spawning clowns