PDA

View Full Version : Unicorn tang stopped eating nori, should I do something about it?

sensei
02/05/2017, 06:41 PM
I have a 9 inch unicorn tang that I have had for 4 years.
I moved him from my 150g dt to my 470g dt, but I had to do TTM just to be sure no ich gets in my new system since I did not treat fish in my first tank.

He had always loved nori in a clip, but after TTM he does not seem to be interested in nori any more. He looks healthy and he has been eating frozen myses and Rods original, but he is not touching nori.
I am a little unsure becuase tangs need to eat algae, but he seems to be only eating meaty foods.

is there a way to encourage him to eat nori?

I do not know if I should do anything?

Thanks for your help

Pericyte
02/05/2017, 06:50 PM
How long has the 470 been up? Is it possible he is eating a lot of hair algae now?

Other than that, I've heard soaking nori in garlic can help, or just feed him lots of mysis until he starts eating nori again.

lacybiker2000
02/05/2017, 07:51 PM
+ Garlic. Have a Blue Hippo tang which was having a slight hunger strike. Soaked stuff in a drop or two of garlic and he's back to ravenous eating.

sensei
02/05/2017, 08:03 PM
How long has the 470 been up? Is it possible he is eating a lot of hair algae now?

Other than that, I've heard soaking nori in garlic can help, or just feed him lots of mysis until he starts eating nori again.

The 470 g dt has been running for 10 months now. There is no hair algae.
I will try garlic with pieces of nori
thanks

sensei
02/05/2017, 08:04 PM
+ Garlic. Have a Blue Hippo tang which was having a slight hunger strike. Soaked stuff in a drop or two of garlic and he's back to ravenous eating.

I will try it and see what happens
thanks

nereefpat
02/06/2017, 08:46 AM
Sometimes they take to it better when rubberbanded to rock than on a clip.

Also, it seems some eat one color of dried seaweed better than the others, for some reason. Green better than purple or red, for example.

Just a couple things to try.

laga77
02/06/2017, 09:55 AM

Lets see, You take a fish and put him through TTM which involves handling him every other day for a couple of weeks and then put him in a new tank. He has stopped eating because of the stress he has been put through. You get nervous and throw some snake oil in his food. After a couple of days/weeks he settles in and hunger will make him start eating like he used to. Garlic had nothing to do with it and another myth is spread. Which do you think is more probable, hunger or the magic powers of garlic?

Dmorty217
02/06/2017, 10:06 AM
Lets see, You take a fish and put him through TTM which involves handling him every other day for a couple of weeks and then put him in a new tank. He has stopped eating because of the stress he has been put through. You get nervous and throw some snake oil in his food. After a couple of days/weeks he settles in and hunger will make him start eating like he used to. Garlic had nothing to do with it and another myth is spread. Which do you think is more probable, hunger or the magic powers of garlic?

+1 garlic is a joke and the most common snake oil that is sold in this hobby

Elricsfate
02/06/2017, 10:15 AM
+1 garlic is a joke and the most common snake oil that is sold in this hobby

It's pretty good on toasted Italian bread....just sayin'

Pericyte
02/06/2017, 12:25 PM

Garlic might or might not work. It has proven medical uses in humans, especially in conjunction with the immune system. Yes, I'm aware I said humans, not fish. Beyond that smells entice or repel organisms, which is a physiological response. Do I need butter on my toast? No. Do I like butter on my toast? Yes. Why? Because it's full of fats that cause a satistion response in my body. Do I need garlic? No. Do I like garlic? Yes. Why? Because it's full of nutrients my body benefits from (obviously everything can be taken too far).

Have I done the research to see if garlic has statistically significant benefits to fish immune systems or inducing eating? No. If you have published studies showing no benefits to garlic send them my way!! I would love to read them. If not you may still be completely right! But don't make a straw man argument saying it's snake oil, or it has magical powers when there is a perfectly logical line of reasoning when using it. Old wives tales often have a scientific reason behind working. It doesn't mean it's magic.

anbosu
02/06/2017, 12:53 PM
Garlic might or might not work. It has proven medical uses in humans, especially in conjunction with the immune system. Yes, I'm aware I said humans, not fish. Beyond that smells entice or repel organisms, which is a physiological response. Do I need butter on my toast? No. Do I like butter on my toast? Yes. Why? Because it's full of fats that cause a satistion response in my body. Do I need garlic? No. Do I like garlic? Yes. Why? Because it's full of nutrients my body benefits from (obviously everything can be taken too far).

Have I done the research to see if garlic has statistically significant benefits to fish immune systems or inducing eating? No. If you have published studies showing no benefits to garlic send them my way!! I would love to read them. If not you may still be completely right! But don't make a straw man argument saying it's snake oil, or it has magical powers when there is a perfectly logical line of reasoning when using it. Old wives tales often have a scientific reason behind working. It doesn't mean it's magic.

Garlic has been shown to have a negative impact on marine fish.

http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2352039

Pericyte
02/06/2017, 01:43 PM
Haha. I love this stuff!! I had heard about the liver problems before. I just did a seach and found several recent articles promoting the benefits of garlic in fish: including statistically significant enhancement of the immune system, HUGE benefits to growth, statistical benefits to survival of fingerlings (Asian sea bass) at 28 degrees C, 30 ppt (so specific gravity of 1.022). This was over the course of 14 days (Talpur and Ikhwanuddin, 2012). I will have to look for some articles that involve true reef fish and adults. But based on growth differences, I would make an argument that garlic may be very beneficial as a short term solution to feeding. I will see if I can post the article (and any others I find) later!

Pericyte
02/06/2017, 01:45 PM
Also as most things go, there may be pros and cons based on the period of time this is given to a fish. Many medicines are great, but have consequences when taken long term.

Pericyte
02/06/2017, 08:27 PM
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848612004371

Figure 2 is crazy, although I am not sure how many people will be able to open the PDF. Not that one article proves anything, but I will do a little more research this weekend.

laga77
02/07/2017, 09:24 AM
I am here to admit I was wrong. I did a google search and in less than five minutes, I learned that garlic in humans cures arthritis, the common cold, cancer, high blood pressure and heart disease, Alzheimers, athletes foot, psoriasis, cold sores, acne, will make you lose weight, will make your hair absolutely fabulous, is an infective insect repellent, and fixes cracks in glass. In marine fish not only will it make your fish eat, it will cure bacterial, fungal, and viral infections. Thats besides curing ich and flukes. It does all this despite Allicin, the major active ingredient, has a half life of 6 days. Usually I would say it was to good to be true, but I have looked it up on the internet and now I know better.

Elricsfate
02/07/2017, 09:29 AM
I am here to admit I was wrong. I did a google search and in less than five minutes, I learned that garlic in humans cures arthritis, the common cold, cancer, high blood pressure and heart disease, Alzheimers, athletes foot, psoriasis, cold sores, acne, will make you lose weight, will make your hair absolutely fabulous, is an infective insect repellent, and fixes cracks in glass. In marine fish not only will it make your fish eat, it will cure bacterial, fungal, and viral infections. Thats besides curing ich and flukes. It does all this despite Allicin, the major active ingredient, has a half life of 6 days. Usually I would say it was to good to be true, but I have looked it up on the internet and now I know better.

It takes a big person to admit when they're wrong. I applaud you.

Dmorty217
02/07/2017, 12:16 PM

Garlic will NOT cure ich or flukes, that just goes along with not everything you read on the internet is true. Just because your fish get temporary immunity to ich, its only temporary. Ich is cured with hypo, TTM, copper or Chloroquine phosphate and thats it. Flukes are cured with formalin or freshwater dips or prazipro/praziquantel powder.

BlackTip
02/07/2017, 01:08 PM
Garlic will NOT cure ich or flukes, that just goes along with not everything you read on the internet is true. Just because your fish get temporary immunity to ich, its only temporary. Ich is cured with hypo, TTM, copper or Chloroquine phosphate and thats it. Flukes are cured with formalin or freshwater dips or prazipro/praziquantel powder.

@laga77 was being sarcastic. His post was actually very funny...:)

laga77
02/07/2017, 01:46 PM

Thank you. But everything posted were actual claims made by garlic products. Even the fixing of cracked glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sde1500
02/07/2017, 02:32 PM
that just goes along with not everything you read on the internet is true.

I want to claim that this is a lie, and that everything you read on the internet is true. But, I read you saying this on the internet, and now I'm super conflicted.

Dmorty217
02/08/2017, 08:25 AM

thank you. But everything posted were actual claims made by garlic products. Even the fixing of cracked glass.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

i want to claim that this is a lie, and that everything you read on the internet is true. But, i read you saying this on the internet, and now i'm super conflicted.

Some things that people post on here are difficult to tell if they actually believe what they are saying. I totally read over the fixing cracked glass... LMAO
:thumbsup:

laga77
02/08/2017, 08:38 AM
:thumbsup: back atcha.

scooter31707
02/09/2017, 11:35 AM
Maybe he turned carnivore. There have been several threads up here about Tangs being complete herbivore. IMO, I believe they are complete carnivore. My buddy has been feeding his tank nothing but Mysis for the past 6 years and the 3 tangs has never been sick, never loss color, and never lost their aggression. Maybe their is enough algae in the tank but I don't think it's enough to sustain 3 tangs, 3 large angels, 2 foxfaces, 4 dwarf angels.

laga77
02/09/2017, 12:25 PM
Although Tangs and Angels and Rabbitfish are called herbivores they are really omnivores. They need both algae, not plant, and meaty foods to survive. For example, here is the link for LRS foods Herbivore Frenzy. http://www.larrysreefservices.com/herbivore-frenzy.html .
Check out the ingredients. Which is what you should be doing with any commercial food. I have spoke with Larry and he said he has taken out all plant, not algae, material except the broccoli flowers only because they are in such small quantities in makes very little difference.

sensei
02/09/2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all your comments.
Unicorn is eating well. He is still not eating algae in the clip as the other tangs in dt but I am throwing him some algae directly in dt an he runs to eat it, so I am making sure he can have a balanced diet.

thanks again

scooter31707
02/10/2017, 11:53 AM
Try to rubberband it to a small piece of rock.