PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep Blue Haliclona sponge?

pfan151
02/05/2017, 11:25 PM
I recently picked a little piece up from Blue Zoo. It seems to be doing really well. Always open. Was thinking about buying some Sponge power for it. Any opinions on that product?

Ron Reefman
02/06/2017, 07:42 AM
Wet Web Media claims that this is a photosynthetic sponge. That means it's probably got a reasonable chance of survival in a mature aquarium. I'm really surprised that Blue Zoo didn't say if it was or wasn't, that's a huge factor in keeping a "display or ornamental" sponge in a reef tank.

pfan151
02/06/2017, 07:53 AM
I've read about some people having good results with it so I'm hopeful. Looks great so far.

gogo7
02/06/2017, 02:57 PM
my experience is no..its not 'photosynthetic', although it is not as adverse to light as other sponges...it will 'move' out of direct light and under ledges....it feeds on fine detritus and live phyto..it will 'frag' itself and youll find it in places you dont normally look...it will shrink if not fed four or five times a week...it doesn't like to be moved at all... dramatic water changes will kill it.....
my current bit is hiding under a turb coral with the exhale port in the light, and it moves regularly around its perch on an air lift tube, out of the direct light. it likes water movement and a frag i had of it produced three exhale ports before i killed it with a fifty percent water change..they were all pointing in the direction of the linear flow. thankfully there were little bits of it in my display that i didnt lose all of it...havent heard of 'sponge power'...def use phyto for sponges...