PDA

View Full Version : Are there some corals that you just can't keep?

jacksonpt
02/06/2017, 03:14 PM
I mean in your individual system.

About a year ago I bought a controller which has REALLY helped me level out and stabilize my parameters. As a results, corals are thriving and growing, colors look good, fish are happy, and maintenance is pretty routine (as opposed to reactive and unpredictable).

Despite all this, I just can't seem to get acans and more plating motis to do well in my tank. It doesn't matter where I put them regarding lighting and flow, they just don't seem to like my tank. My RBTA is a monster. Millis are doing really well. I can almost see my euphilias grow. But acans always seem to just wither away, and montis always seem to bleach.

Anyone else have similar experiences, even if it's with a different coral?

DivingTheWorld
02/06/2017, 03:35 PM
I can't seem to grow Digi Montis in my tank. I've never been able to figure out why. I used to have a problem with Red Dragon, but my 4th try worked and I have a nice colony now.

Renzema
02/06/2017, 03:50 PM
all zoanthids. They never die but never spread either. I have multiple varieties and all in different locations. Not really a problem though since they are just accents for me.

fearyaks
02/06/2017, 04:10 PM
+1 for Red Dragons...

ca1ore
02/06/2017, 05:31 PM
For me it's acans. Not a water problem though, rather nibbling fish. Same problem with elegance.

teddyzaper
02/06/2017, 05:55 PM
for some reason i cant keep scroll corals. I have had a couple nice peices and no matter where i put it in the tank it just slowly dies. I have acros, SPS, LPS, and softies in the tank and they are all thriving. Oh well, i don't NEED any scroll corals i guess.

Alfrareef
02/06/2017, 06:54 PM
Gonis for me. They just can survive at my tank...

AlexMorse
02/06/2017, 07:25 PM
Hammers... I don't get it. I have bubbles and torches growing great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacksonpt
02/07/2017, 08:51 AM
Do most of you attribute it to "just something about that coral" as opposed to something correctable with your tank? chemistry or flow or lighting or whatever else?

Timfish
02/07/2017, 09:04 AM
For starters from what I've seen we're probably only able propagate 15% TO 20% of the known 1300+ species of stoney corals. Most genus of stony coral has species that even though they look alike they have different and possibly mutually exclusive environmental requirements (ie. some Gonipora sp. and Acropora sp. are cosmopolitan and found in a range of conditions while sibling species are only found in very specific environmental niches). Each species can have dozens of genotypes that have different preferences. Individual colonies can "learn" a set of environmental conditions and have problems if they are not met. Moving a colony disrupts it's holobiont and makes it susceptible to pathogens. Short answer, research every specimen and never expect everything to do well.

nitr8
02/07/2017, 10:00 AM
Duncans. My favorite LPS. I can keep them alive but they never fully open.

coralmoral
02/07/2017, 10:38 AM
For specific corals, usually you can keep them alive with the right precautions and water quality. But, if you have emerald crabs or other pesky scavengers, soft corals are extremely difficult to keep alive!

Jah2707
02/07/2017, 10:41 AM
Hmm, I guess I would have to say Acans. I have had 4 tanks and have always attempted to keep them and never got them to stay healthy. My current systems grows every SPS and LPS I have dropped into it but the 3 Acans frags appear to slowly fade away. I thought it was a light / flow issue so I have moved them a few times and can never make them happy.

I also have attempted two plate corals in two different tanks and they slowly fade away.

kevin21
02/07/2017, 11:40 AM
Hammers, frogspawn, and zoas. For whatever reason, they flourish for 5-6 months and then slowly start to deteriorate

cincyjim
02/07/2017, 12:50 PM
I can't keep Torches for nothing. I have other LPS, SPS, and some softies but Torches last about 6 weeks. No idea why.

Twoface14
02/07/2017, 05:36 PM
Frogspawn and acans for me. I have a large mix of sps, lps, and softies and cant get those to do well. I have hammers that do amazing and the frogspawn doesn't

stan zemanek
02/07/2017, 07:42 PM
elegance and goni's

Scorpius
02/07/2017, 07:47 PM
Hmm, I guess I would have to say Acans. I have had 4 tanks and have always attempted to keep them and never got them to stay healthy. My current systems grows every SPS and LPS I have dropped into it but the 3 Acans frags appear to slowly fade away. I thought it was a light / flow issue so I have moved them a few times and can never make them happy.

I also have attempted two plate corals in two different tanks and they slowly fade away.

Feed them as much as they can swallow several times a week till they get their strength up.

HidingReefer
02/07/2017, 11:57 PM
Frogspawns, something I can't get to the bottom of, I figure there is more to success in this hobby than just maintaining the correct parameters

Agostinone
02/09/2017, 12:11 AM
I'm glad it's not just me--certain corals don't do well. For me it's Lord Acans and Candy Canes. Acan Echinata do great as do Frog Spawn, Hammers, Torches and Favia (things kind of like lord acan and candy cane). I love Duncan's but mine just slowly add about 1 head a year during which time everything else doubles or triples in size.

tang named junkyard
02/09/2017, 02:37 AM
Torch for me. My frogspawns and hammers grow like weeds

jar41
02/09/2017, 05:29 AM
Somehow Xenia dies in few weeks!? Not sure why.... I have pretty good mix of different Lps with 2 Montiporas. Tried 2 or 3 times with frags of it and gave up! I guess it's not for me....

Squibege
02/09/2017, 10:01 PM
Zoas. Had a BEAUTIFUL colony and now it's gone [emoji29] another frag I got hasn't changed at all. In the meantime the other corals I got at the same time are now almost 4x as big...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachBumm
02/10/2017, 07:17 PM
Gonis for me , at least long term .

scubadan206
02/12/2017, 09:50 AM
Elegance corals for me.
Bring your nutrients under control, keep your calcium and alkalinity stable.
Then keep your potassium and iron levels up. Should be able to grow anything with stable and consistent water.