PDA

View Full Version : Buying a tank, shipping ??

zchauvin
02/06/2017, 06:19 PM
If BRS or a forum member with past experience could chime in it would be great. I live in an apartment on the third floor and work shift work. I'm home everyday but work from 5:30 to 5:30 so not home when UPS would pass. I am not really sure how the shipment is done for this regarding the drop shipment and so on. I'd like to purchase the Reefer 170 relatively soon but nervous about how the shipment process works, as well as any delays that may occur if I am not home for delivery. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

valeriebrs
02/07/2017, 11:02 AM
Once you place your order, it will be sent to Red Sea who will offers delivery through Road Runner Transportation. Road Runner will actually call you to schedule the delivery :)

zchauvin
02/07/2017, 11:13 AM
Ok thank you

roostertech
02/07/2017, 07:52 PM
I ordered my Reefer 525XL through BRS drop shipped and it was great. Road Runner has pretty good tracking system so you would know when they about to call you to schedule delivery (yeah I stalked my tank). I had a 10-12 window and the delivery guy showed up on the dot at 10am.

12/16/16 6:33 PM Appointment Pending
12/16/16 4:20 PM Freight picked up from shipper location
12/17/16 4:15 AM Trailer enroute at Humble TX
12/17/16 4:26 AM Trailer Closed - ready for dispatch
12/17/16 4:27 AM Trailer dispatched from HUMBLE, TX to LIVERMORE, CA
12/18/16 4:14 AM Trailer enroute at Humble TX
12/19/16 4:14 AM Trailer enroute at 4.78 miles NNW of Vail AZ
12/20/16 10:00 AM Trailer arrived at terminal in LIVERMORE, CA
12/21/16 1:00 AM Appointment set for delivery to consignee on 12/22/16
12/21/16 1:00 AM Trailer unloaded at terminal in LIVERMORE, CA
12/21/16 4:00 AM Appointment Pending
12/21/16 4:50 PM Attempting to set Delivery Appointment
12/22/16 7:00 AM Shipment out for delivery

billwill
02/07/2017, 08:01 PM
How about ordering through local shop? Price should be similar, and you could arrange the whole thing in your rerms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zchauvin
02/07/2017, 08:09 PM
Awesome thanks guys, any issues you could see arising considering it's an apartment complex.

Bill will - I don't like paying sales tax....

roostertech
02/07/2017, 08:29 PM
Awesome thanks guys, any issues you could see arising considering it's an apartment complex.

Well, most likely they'll have to drop it off on the street for you and you will need two people (for the 170) to unpack and get the tank in door and then throw away the shipping pallet.

zchauvin
02/07/2017, 08:41 PM
Ok thaks

billwill
02/07/2017, 10:12 PM

I believe you have to pay sales tax when you order online don't you? If not, why would anyone ever purchase anything in a local store other than fresh goods?

valeriebrs
02/08/2017, 03:29 PM

Here's information straight from Red Sea regarding delivery - hope this helps :)

We are happy to provide residential, curbside delivery of your tank, but want to make you aware of the limitations associated with this delivery option.

The crate is extremely large and heavy (Size and weight varies by unit but can approach 900lbs) and will not fit through standard residential doors, thus it typically needs to be opened and brought into the home piece by piece. The aquarium alone can weigh between 220lbs and 310lbs.

The freight company will have a liftgate and a pallet jack that absolutely cannot navigate over steps, stairs, grass or any obstacles and therefore can only guarantee placement curbside.

Please complete the following delivery instructions and acknowledgement.

guarda
02/08/2017, 03:54 PM
I believe you have to pay sales tax when you order online don't you? If not, why would anyone ever purchase anything in a local store other than fresh goods?

To support local businesses. I do it all the time.

zchauvin

No there is no tax if from out of state business as well as free shipping.. most of the time. And I do not know, as I no longer shop locally.

zchauvin
Here's information straight from Red Sea regarding delivery - hope this helps :)

We are happy to provide residential, curbside delivery of your tank, but want to make you aware of the limitations associated with this delivery option.

The crate is extremely large and heavy (Size and weight varies by unit but can approach 900lbs) and will not fit through standard residential doors, thus it typically needs to be opened and brought into the home piece by piece. The aquarium alone can weigh between 220lbs and 310lbs.

The freight company will have a liftgate and a pallet jack that absolutely cannot navigate over steps, stairs, grass or any obstacles and therefore can only guarantee placement curbside.

Please complete the following delivery instructions and acknowledgement.

Thank you Valerie

charlesgage
02/14/2017, 02:27 PM
No there is no tax if from out of state business as well as free shipping.. most of the time. And I do not know, as I no longer shop locally.

You are legally required to pay state sales tax on these purchases when you file your taxes. Recently Amazon lost a suit and had to start collecting in many states automatically.

Nobody actually reports these purchases though which is why local vendors are always at a 6-9% disadvantage.

Main reason to shop BRS over LFS for me is the quality of brands and equipment sold. A lot of LFS's just sell crap because it is cheap (and what impulse buyers want).

zchauvin
02/14/2017, 02:40 PM
You are legally required to pay state sales tax on these purchases when you file your taxes. Recently Amazon lost a suit and had to start collecting in many states automatically.

Nobody actually reports these purchases though which is why local vendors are always at a 6-9% disadvantage.

Main reason to shop BRS over LFS for me is the quality of brands and equipment sold. A lot of LFS's just sell crap because it is cheap (and what impulse buyers want).

Local vendors are at a disadvantage because they can't buy in bulk to get prices low enough to compete with online suppliers. And yes, because they sell garbage 90% of the time.