PDA

View Full Version : Dead Birdsnest - Remove?

schnebbles
02/07/2017, 11:17 AM
It won't harm my tank will it? I was gonna leave it in because it still looks nice but it won't/can't be causing unseen issues can it?

mcgyvr
02/07/2017, 11:33 AM
Nothing wrong with having coral skeletons in a tank...
(other than it looks like you don't know what you are doing and support the death of corals just for display purposes :p )

coralmoral
02/07/2017, 11:36 AM
I would take it out. Coral skeletons are perfect places for the beginning of an algae infestation.

anthonys51
02/07/2017, 12:06 PM
I would take it out. Coral skeletons are perfect places for the beginning of an algae infestation.

algae grows on anything in your tank. having a coral skeleton in your doesn't cause algae, high nutrients does.

so to answer your question, once all the flesh is off a coral, the skeleton will do no harm to your tank

jd371
02/07/2017, 01:26 PM
Coral skeletons were considered decorations back in the day. There's an lfs near me that has a shelf full of them for sell.

mcgyvr
02/07/2017, 03:04 PM
Coral skeletons were considered decorations back in the day. There's an lfs near me that has a shelf full of them for sell.

Go to Florida or other "beach" area.. The shops are all full of MASSIVE pieces of staghorns,etc..

There is a picture floating around of how live corals are just pulled from the ocean and thrown onto the beach to die for the sole purpose of selling the skeletons in shops..

schnebbles
02/07/2017, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm the only one who sees my tank so no one will know I don't know what I'm doing, lol!

If I remove it that "little red lobster" is going to be upset with me because that's it's home.

A friend did mention algae growing all over it but I guess I'll see how that goes, I suppose that would pretty ugly.

dendrite
02/07/2017, 03:16 PM
a newly dead birdsnest still has a boatload of dead/dying organic matter that acts as a perfect foundation for algae growth. You could starve your tank and there would be plenty of nutrients to act as a template . I had a 12 inch birdsnest die suddenly and left it in the tank because of its size, location and its integration into its surroundings and it took me months to battle the hair algae that grew. I finally bit the bullet and took a saw to the base after trimming away the tops with bone cutters. If you want to keep it as decoration, remove it and scrub it first

rjjr1963
02/07/2017, 10:24 PM
Go to Florida or other "beach" area.. The shops are all full of MASSIVE pieces of staghorns,etc..

There is a picture floating around of how live corals are just pulled from the ocean and thrown onto the beach to die for the sole purpose of selling the skeletons in shops..

I distinctly remember that in the Keys back in 84. Bleached coral everywhere. I don't think you can do that now.