PDA

View Full Version : Quartz rock

ghosty3
02/08/2017, 03:13 AM
Hi,

As the geology/chemistry says quartz rock should be full of minerals but has layers of big chemical equations.

Is it good to start out with it ? Is it some sort of living rock ?

I saw it in the store yesterday, that's why I ask.

heathlindner25
02/08/2017, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't use quartz rock.

mcgyvr
02/08/2017, 06:15 AM
I'm no "rockologist" :) but quartz sounds like a horrible choice IMO..
Its not porous at all like normal rock used in marine tanks..
You want the pores to give bacteria a home/surface area,etc..

Tisbe
02/08/2017, 10:10 AM
It should not hurt you tank. Not sure what your asking about when you say "Is it some sort of living rock?". No rock is alive, bacteria from your tank colonize the rock and make it alive. If you are putting it into the tank with plans on it being your biological filter, it is a poor choice. As mcgyvr said it is not porous at all and will provide very little structure for the bacteria to live on. If you want it just for looks, then go for it.

thegrun
02/08/2017, 10:13 AM
I would also advise against using quartz, not all minerals are beneficial to your aquarium and many are very toxic to corals in particular. There is a very wide variety of mineral impurities in quartz, for a fish only system it may be okay, but I certainly would not use it in a reef tank.

crawlerman
02/08/2017, 12:33 PM
I'd be concerened about metals in the quartz. I know quartz can contain gold, silver and iron. Probably a lot of other things. I would not put it in a reef.

sde1500
02/08/2017, 12:34 PM
I would not.