PDA

View Full Version : Building an APEX

Molter
02/09/2017, 06:29 AM
Okay so I decided to take the (financial) plunge and start putting together an apex unit to better monitor my system. My budget is quite limited, so this is definitely going to be a gradual build.
I've already purchased an Apex Lite with only a temperature probe on it, and I'm trying to figure out what order I should add other modules or probes.
My guess is that ph should be next, then salinity?
I was looking at other probes and ORP looks like it'd be really helpful to be able to see.
Also, for what it's worth I will not be controlling any lights or powerheads.

Thanks for the help!

Jessie2406
02/09/2017, 09:19 AM
Following, need to set up my auto top off unit then this is next

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Molter
02/09/2017, 09:22 AM
I have an ATO, but it is a standard JBJ.
Pretty sure that won't connect to Apex.

That said, I think it might be relevant to list what equipment I do have, as that might be helpful in the recommendations.

Molter
02/09/2017, 09:27 AM
Equipment is as follows:
75 Gallon Rimless Center-Drilled tank with split flow on return
MP40 QD
Eshopps 200R sump
2 ReefBreeders Photon 24 Lights
2 Cobalt 200W Ceramic Heaters
MR1 Media Canister that will be run off primary return pump
Sicce 4.0
Apex Lite
JBJ Auto Top Off
Coralife Turbo Twist 18W UV Sterilizer
My Reef Creations Skimmer (Don't know exactly what it's rated for, but it's huge)

...I believe that's all.

Molter
02/09/2017, 04:48 PM
Shameless bump to front page for evening viewers.

gus6464
02/09/2017, 11:16 PM
Of all the stuff you have only the mp40s are able to be controlled with the apex with a wxm.

Molter
02/09/2017, 11:23 PM
Of all the stuff you have only the mp40s are able to be controlled with the apex with a wxm.

Right. I'm actually more interested in the monitoring aspects of the apex, so I want to figure out what probes to buy and more importantly, in what order to get them in regards to importance.

jusn317
02/10/2017, 07:58 AM
Well since you stated that you mostly want the ability to monitor your tank and less ability to control equipment, and keep it budget friendly if it were me I'd probably pick up a ph probe to add to your apex lite. Next I'd look into the ALD module for detecting a leak if the tank or sump started to leak.

Other than that it mostly comes down to personal preference. I have an Apex with basically all of the modules, and while I like being able to see what my salinity it never fluctuates, plus the probe and module will set you back $200. ORP is really not that useful unless you plan on running ozone on your system. Most of the other modules are for controlling certain equipment like lights and pumps, and if you are doing that at the moment no need for them.

kurt_n
02/11/2017, 11:43 PM
Probably not what you want to hear, but if you're just monitoring and not controlling, I wouldn't put out the $$ for a controller - unless you want the ability to check in on your tank remotely over the interwebs. The Apex - any version of it - makes for an expensive thermometer and pH meter.

But since you have it, and funds are limited, I'd just go with a pH probe and call it quits. ORP is nice to monitor overall health - the value itself isn't important, but the consistency of the value gives you insight as to whether something is going wrong. Salinity is expensive, and if you're doing things right shouldn't vary much.

JohnnyHildo
02/12/2017, 06:52 AM
i have to agree with the others. i have the basic temp & ph and aside from safeguards have no intentions of adding anything else. the salinity seems like throwing cash out the window considering its expense and your tank still needs a hydrometer.