PDA

View Full Version : Derasa clam not fully opening

teddyzaper
02/09/2017, 08:37 AM
When I received it and the week or so following it would open it's mantle all the way and look very healthy. Lately it's been not opened all the way, and my parameters haven't changed much.

Sometimes I'll see my diamond goby spit sand out on it and the sand will sit there. Should I try to fix this? Like move the clam or increase flow? If the clam has sand on it, can it remove it itself, what if it gets inside the clam?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Phosphate: .02
Nitrate: 2-5
Salinity: 1.027 SG
Alkalinity: 8.4 dKH
Calcium: 370 ppm
Magnesium: 1460 ppm

I need to dose more calcium daily but other than that I'm pretty happy with my parameters.

This is what it looks like now. Ill reply to this post with a before picture
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/e92ac682f7e3382c46480094a7183d63.jpg

teddyzaper
02/09/2017, 08:39 AM
Here is the before picture. As you can see it rotated itself and now isn't opening as wide

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/3ade4eee77159c3073ced0945e6f59ed.jpg

DSMreefer
02/09/2017, 07:33 PM
What type of lighting do you have? I've read that most issues with tridacna clams are caused by insufficient lighting. Mine derasa will move a little but never leans on it's side like that. Have you tried setting it so it faces up more? Or will it just move back to it side? It doesn't look like it gaping from the pictures. If it reacts well when you block the light with your hand and it has new shell growth, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

teddyzaper
02/09/2017, 07:49 PM
What type of lighting do you have? I've read that most issues with tridacna clams are caused by insufficient lighting. Mine derasa will move a little but never leans on it's side like that. Have you tried setting it so it faces up more? Or will it just move back to it side? It doesn't look like it gaping from the pictures. If it reacts well when you block the light with your hand and it has new shell growth, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I haven't seen new shell growth as it's only a few weeks old, but it does react when I wave my hand over it.

It's under 2x Hydra 26hd at about 75% but I was planning on lowering the intensity as it bleaches my sps. Could this be from too much light?

DSMreefer
02/09/2017, 08:51 PM
My understanding is, they usually have problems from too low of light. I think clams can handle about as much light as you can throw at them. I believe they live in very shallow water and can stand high levels of light. I'm no expert but I have owned a derasa for about 7 months now and my light levels on the sand bed are about 200 par. It seems to be happy and growing well at this level.

teddyzaper
02/09/2017, 09:12 PM
My understanding is, they usually have problems from too low of light. I think clams can handle about as much light as you can throw at them. I believe they live in very shallow water and can stand high levels of light. I'm no expert but I have owned a derasa for about 7 months now and my light levels on the sand bed are about 200 par. It seems to be happy and growing well at this level.

OK. I'll just keep an eye on it then. Thanks!

MondoBongo
02/10/2017, 06:50 AM
he looks fine to me.

i've noticed my clams will tend to rotate themselves so that they can line up with my LEDs in an effort to collect more light. they will also move to adjust themselves in/out of flow, or just to make themselves generally more comfortable.

with my clams i just kind of assume that they will readjust as needed. i wouldn't be too concerned about too much light.

teddyzaper
02/10/2017, 09:42 AM
Well,the clam was sideways and not fully extending it's mantle for a week, and now it is straight up and wide open. Strange, but I'm happy!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/ff0ee30b9f3ea90aba86e059dba2e8b8.jpg