PDA

View Full Version : Is my quarantine routine proper?

icliao
02/10/2017, 02:29 AM
After some research I have device the following quarantine routine:

Prazipro + Cupramine for 2 weeks with 2 dose Prazipro 1 week apart.
After the Prazipro + Cupramine move the fish to Chloroquine 40mg/gl for another 4 ~ 6 weeks? Should I aim to treat the fish for 2 months or more?

The reason for moving fish from Prazipro + Cupramine is some fish seem to lose their appetite during this process and moving to CP may remove them from the appetite suppression caused by copper and Prazipro combined.
Also CP may have less negative effect if fish is quarantined for extended period such as 2 months or more.

Weekly water change 10-15% with medication adjusted.

Is the routine sound enough? I want to make sure no ich, velvet or fluke can make into the display so I want to treat all fish before introducing them to the display.

icliao
02/10/2017, 02:33 AM
I got a powder brown with an emperor angel few days ago and both are eating fine initially in the store and at the quarantine tank.

I administered Prazi Pro and Cupramine and after the 2nd dose of Cupramine per instruction the powder Brown stop eating completely. The emperor angel is still eating aggressively.

Does anyone has this experience and how to deal with it?
I am think about moving the Powder Brown to another tank after it completes 2 weeks of PraziPro and Cupramine treatment and use CP instead for the rest of quarantine period. Is this a good strategy?

caribfan
02/10/2017, 06:48 AM
So here is my philosophy. I wait to dose mess until the fish displays signs of disease. I like to use quarantine for getting my fish eating just as much as I do for treating them.

For me, unless disease is present, spend time getting them acclimated to you and captivity first. A fish that is eating a healthy diet will handle meds much better.

After a few weeks of food eating, the I begin my preventative treatment. On the cuprsmine, I take twice as long as the bottle recommends to reach the recommended dosage and I stay at that level for 30 days, not two weeks.

If the powder brown has stopped eating, I'd do a large water change, apply carbon and start over.

Does it display signs of disease at the moment?

icliao
02/10/2017, 09:53 AM
The fish seem ok and without symtons. However, I need to make sure the disease don't make it into the tank via carrier fish. I had all fish doing fine for over a month before disaster strike. I am done losing fish and I had to drain my 1000GL and knock down my aquascape to extract every last fish for treatment a while ago.

scooter31707
02/10/2017, 11:32 AM
I don't use cooper as it can be dangerous to the fish. IMO, cooper also masks other diseases/parasites that will show it's ugly face once out of cooper. Also, I believe treatment of cooper maybe 30 days not 2 weeks for it to be effective. Too high it can be toxic, too low it is not effective. I also agree with the statements ^^^, let the fish get settled in before dosing all those meds. The fish is already stressed with the move.

Brieninsac
02/10/2017, 11:49 AM
There are hundreds of ways people quarantine their fish. Most of which comes from previous trial and error.

This is the approach I take. Unless the new fish exhibits some sort of disease I put them in a fresh QT with nothing for the first 3-days. Then I do a 3-day cycle of Seachem Paragard. I've found it to be the easiest on the fish. After the 3-days I do a W/C and then observe them for the next 3-weeks. If anything comes up during that time I'll treat accordingly. Otherwise, no additional meds are administered.