PDA

View Full Version : Where to get this part

SantaMonica
02/10/2017, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know where to get a part like this... it's sort of like a bulkhead but much longer. Not sure what it would be called.

steve1981
02/11/2017, 04:26 AM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201494102481

Could you use something like that? It's called a 'speaker top hat' and used to mount speakers on tripods. That link is a steel one but you can get ABS plastic and cut the closed end with a hacksaw. Can get different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billdogg
02/11/2017, 07:49 AM
My go-to's for anything plastic are www.savko.com and www.usplastics.com

What, if I might ask, are you planning on using that for?

Windy2
02/11/2017, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know where to get a part like this... it's sort of like a bulkhead but much longer. Not sure what it would be called.

I can't get the picture to load. But, if you want to send me either a drawing or a better picture, I can 3d print them for you.

Vinny Kreyling
02/11/2017, 09:37 AM
Make it with 2" pipe & a flange for 2"

SantaMonica
02/11/2017, 10:08 PM
The speaker top hat looked promising, but they all seem to be closed, and I did not want to cut anything; I wanted it to be a nice finished look.

I can 3D print it too, but it would be a big thick print, and would not look nice like I want. They look like the top hats that steve posted above.

Savko and USplastics are good for pieces, but I have not found a finished part like this. Only raw pieces. I could have it made with pipe and flange, but that's not finished enough.

It's for a desktop product that needs to look presentable, with a nice design.

steve1981
02/12/2017, 06:25 PM
The speaker top hat looked promising, but they all seem to be closed, and I did not want to cut anything; I wanted it to be a nice finished look.

I can 3D print it too, but it would be a big thick print, and would not look nice like I want. They look like the top hats that steve posted above.

Savko and USplastics are good for pieces, but I have not found a finished part like this. Only raw pieces. I could have it made with pipe and flange, but that's not finished enough.

It's for a desktop product that needs to look presentable, with a nice design.

If you cut it with a hacksaw in a mitre block you'll get a nice straight cut and then just sand a little with small grain paper to get rid of any plastic burrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NubbsJRN
02/12/2017, 07:32 PM
http://www.agriculturevalves.com/pvc-tail-piece-flange/

If you find the right " tail piece flange" maybe?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SantaMonica
02/13/2017, 06:17 PM
I'm having trouble finding the right tail piece, and they are all from India.

And I don't think I can cut and finish; it would not be desktop quality.

Looks like it might have to be more expensive cast acrylic tube, with an added acrylic base.

Gorgok
02/13/2017, 06:37 PM
That looks like a machined piece of acetal. It wouldn't take a machine long to turn that since it machines very well. It should also turn out looking pretty...

SantaMonica
02/15/2017, 09:43 PM
With a hole? What would 100 of them cost to be machined.

Gorgok
02/16/2017, 05:32 AM
It depends on the flange size. I'd guess at 3" so material cost would be around $25 a foot, so about $1000 for the 42 feet needed. Add about $75 an hour of machine time, making somewhere around 6-10 parts an hour on a machine, which puts another ~$1000 on to the price.

So about $20 a part.

You could do it out of abs or pvc rod, both which come out about the same in price, assuming they machine about as fast. I don't know how well they machine though.

If you need it cheaper, and OD is not critical, ID finish is not important and an ID of ~2.047" is acceptable then pvc pipe could be used for the most part, with washers added on. Machining washers would net you about (assuming .25" thick) ~35 washers a foot. Dropping material cost down to about $75 for the washers and maybe $105 for pipe (without markings) with machining costs going down too because washers area really easy to mass produce once setup. I'd imagine you could get up around 50 parts an hour, so ~$150 in machine time.

But, that $330 will only get you washers and uncut pipe. If you want the pipe cut too then you probably add another $150 for its machine time. If you want those parts assembled probably add another $150-225. Still $705 is quite a bit less than the $2000 for solid stock.

Without going huge scale and getting injection molded parts i don't really see if going much below that in cost though.

mcgyvr
02/16/2017, 09:03 AM
What about speaker box ports??
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-port-tubes/320

SantaMonica
02/16/2017, 09:19 PM
The speaker ports looked promising, but all seems to flare to the wrong side; mine would be mounted like a flag pole, not in like a drain.

A lathe for some pvc pipe might do it. Inside finish does not matter, and outside can look nice. A 1/2" washer or two around the base might be fine as is, and probably could be turned into a flare to match the pipe.