PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs and feather dusters/anemones?

Weboh
02/11/2017, 07:50 PM
I like hermit crabs but I think I heard somewhere that they like to pick at feather dusters and anemones. Is this true for all of them, or just some species? I want blue-legged and emerald crabs. I think emerald crabs are the more aggressive ones. Have they in your experience been fine together?

Do you think I need to buy shells for them to move into as well? How would that work?

Thanks.

whosurcaddie
02/11/2017, 11:06 PM
I would stay away from the emeralds and the blue legs. The red legged hermit is a great choice if you have to have hermits. They look cooler too.

Emeralds are very unpredictable and they will even kill fish if they are hungry enough. Blue legs will kill your snails for their shells.

You will want to get larger empty shells for any hermit crabs that you get. The crabs get larger but the shells stay the same.

MMacro
02/12/2017, 01:58 AM
I would stay away from the emeralds and the blue legs. The red legged hermit is a great choice if you have to have hermits. They look cooler too.

Emeralds are very unpredictable and they will even kill fish if they are hungry enough. Blue legs will kill your snails for their shells.

You will want to get larger empty shells for any hermit crabs that you get. The crabs get larger but the shells stay the same.

It is very unlikely that emerald crabs will eat healthy fish. The only fish I have ever seen any emerald crab eat were dead or dying. They would much rather go after something much easier to catch. I have had emeralds in all of my tanks and have never had a problem with them.

matthemmings
02/12/2017, 03:06 AM
Have a look at porcelain crabs, they're non-agressive filter feeders that have the 'crab' look (they're technically squat lobsters)

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Reefer40b
02/12/2017, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=matthemmings;24956221]Have a look at porcelain crabs, they're non-agressive filter feeders that have the 'crab' look (they're technically squat lobsters)
/QUOTE]

+1
Love my porcelain he hosts my anemone if it moves he is a ride or die guy never leaves it!