PDA

View Full Version : Yellow head jawfish spawning

taricha
02/11/2017, 10:41 PM
My very entertaining pair of jawfish became even more entertaining today. I saw eggs in the mouth of the larger one.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/83775d9dfff21b924a8287ca5eb21ed2.jpg

They never shared a tunnel, so this caught me by surprise. If he doesn't eat the eggs, I might give it a try.

CoralsAddiction
02/11/2017, 11:13 PM
That's great. Keep us posted.

sdemon367
02/12/2017, 01:43 AM
Awesome. Best of luck.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

taricha
02/12/2017, 06:50 AM
These are the most informative accounts of success with this species - Opistognathus aurifrons - I've found so far.
Let me know if there are other good ones.
Martin Moe raised on wildcaught plankton - "I started them out on wild plankton, dissected a few in the first few days and found only small copepod napulii."
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1053375

Classroom hatching done at Southampton High School on Long Island.
http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=98002&mpage=1
"Today[Day 13] we started mixing in some Apocyclops panamensis nauplii to our daily feeding of 10 Parvocalanus crassirostris nauplii/mL."
the parvocalanus are fed by "1-L of Chaetoceros muelleri algae is added to the tank at a slow drip each day."

Lots of accounts of bad fathers swallowing the eggs around day 4 or so (they hatch at day 7-9).

My guys spawned in the display tank of a mixed reef. No special arrangements were made to promote their breeding... EXCEPT: my tank runs consistently hot - sometimes worryingly hot for the corals - because it gets morning sunlight through a window. (Sump lighting contributes as well). Tank is between 80-82F 90% of the time. Other accounts also ran their tanks at 80 &81F.

taricha
02/12/2017, 04:27 PM
Was interested to see how male would behave at feeding time.
Before feeding, had his mouth full of eggs. Then when food went in tank, he came out and chowed down. When he finished eating, his mouth was empty.
I couldn't tell for sure if he had swallowed the eggs or had spit them out. I heard some of them will spit the eggs out, then eat and take them back up after. Looked closely for egg mass, because that would make collecting really easy close to hatch time. No luck.
A few minutes after eating he popped his head out of the burrow mouth full of eggs again.
So apparently he likes to stash the eggs in his tunnel while he eats. Good to know he's smart enough to get fed without eating eggs. Might have a chance of seeing some fry.

farfromsea
02/12/2017, 04:35 PM
Very cool! And fascinating he eats while brooding unlike the banggai cardinals

Did you buy a mated pair or did you pair them yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taricha
02/12/2017, 06:28 PM
Very cool! And fascinating he eats while brooding unlike the banggai cardinals

Did you buy a mated pair or did you pair them yourself?

Mated pair ordered from k&p aquatics (amazing job by them on everything) on 4/26 last year. This is their first spawning event in my tank.
I didn't know until the eggs which was which.
I saw a pic elsewhere that showed clear abdomen length/shape difference between male and female. I'll try to get my own pics to compare and see if it holds.
This kind from FL doesn't develop the two black spots under the chin on the male so other clues needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

farfromsea
02/13/2017, 12:13 PM
Mated pair ordered from k&p aquatics (amazing job by them on everything) on 4/26 last year. This is their first spawning event in my tank.
I didn't know until the eggs which was which.
I saw a pic elsewhere that showed clear abdomen length/shape difference between male and female. I'll try to get my own pics to compare and see if it holds.
This kind from FL doesn't develop the two black spots under the chin on the male so other clues needed.

I've been planning to order for them as well. Hopefully they get another pair. I just missed the last one in stock! I've read that a 14H photoperiod helps them spawn

taricha
02/13/2017, 06:41 PM
Ok, here's the pic I was thinking of. A very pronounced difference in abdomen size/shape. Mine don't show as much, but it's still there.
http://photos.frags.org/bigger/81/10494_20070706081639.jpg

taricha
02/13/2017, 07:48 PM
Okay, here's how my fish compare.
Males have slightly larger heads and smaller abdomens, females smaller heads larger abdomens. The overall effect is that females head looks like it would almost fit in her abdomen, males head not really even close.

farfromsea
02/13/2017, 09:27 PM
I like that analogy. Fitting the head in the abdomen lol. The female does have a quite smaller head. Makes sense for the egg storage!

RIP Sebastian
02/14/2017, 05:01 PM
I love the first pic! Let us know how this works out.

taricha
02/14/2017, 08:44 PM
I love the first pic! Let us know how this works out.
Thanks. Here's one more from yesterday. (Day 3)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/89e212829a749c6deea697dde0b60515.jpg

He seems really willing to stash the eggs in his tunnel, and come out to feed or just display, spit sand, adjust rocks, chase other fish away - whatever. He'll take eggs back in his mouth once every couple of minutes, but he's really not locked into holding them 24/7 if he'd rather do something else.

farfromsea
02/15/2017, 11:23 AM
So cool. So what are you going to do with the fry?

RIP Sebastian
02/15/2017, 07:32 PM

He seems really willing to stash the eggs in his tunnel, and come out to feed or just display, spit sand, adjust rocks, chase other fish away - whatever. He'll take eggs back in his mouth once every couple of minutes, but he's really not locked into holding them 24/7 if he'd rather do something else.

Thanks for sharing! He looks like he took too big of a bite of mashed potatoes. :)

ginpang
02/15/2017, 07:32 PM

Mine does that stash -eat-reclaim thing too.

CoralsAddiction
02/15/2017, 09:38 PM

That's absolutely fantastic. You should try to raise a clutch just for the fun of it and see how it goes.

taricha
02/15/2017, 09:54 PM
So cool. So what are you going to do with the fry?

Primarily, I'm going to feed parvocalanus, themselves raised on a culture of isochrysis.
I'll also offer euplotes ciliates and rotifers in small amounts cultured on a mix of Iso and nanno. No evidence the fry take anything other than the parvocalanus nauplii but maybe the other items will serve a small enrichment purpose.
I got all the cultures in the mail today except rotifers haven't come yet, all looked good under the scope.

Here's a pic of eyes looking back at me from inside a fish's mouth.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/3e4a9ad2ffcef325e9ba26e26d2fbb48.jpg

farfromsea
02/16/2017, 12:21 PM
Such cute tiny eyes. Is the rotifer cultivation setup pretty intense? Raising jawfish has interested me for quite some time but the setup seems daunting.

taricha
02/17/2017, 06:41 AM
Such cute tiny eyes. Is the rotifer cultivation setup pretty intense? Raising jawfish has interested me for quite some time but the setup seems daunting.

I think the rotifer culture will not matter much. From what I can tell, success will depend entirely on the ability to culture parvocalanus copepods. (I killed my first culture split)
The fish seem only to accept their live nauplii, and the pods inturn only eat live algae - T-iso being considered the best.

taricha
02/18/2017, 11:59 AM
I've been planning to order for them as well. Hopefully they get another pair. I just missed the last one in stock! I've read that a 14H photoperiod helps them spawn

I can confirm that my lights were on 14hr day.

taricha
02/18/2017, 02:32 PM
From what I read, I thought they were supposed to hatch at dawn?
Well at dawn of day 7 (counting day 1 is day the eggs first appeared) nothing. But at 2:30pm, a few individuals started to be spit out like once a minute. I grabbed what I could before I had to leave. This morning the rest were gone before dawn, so the tank got thoroughly fed. Sun Corals were really happy.

I only collected 3 fully healthy fry from this batch, but that's probably for the best - my parvocalanus pod culture is starting to gain traction, but it's so immature: really hard to find nauplii in there. So I'll be surprised if any of the 3 fry survive to see their siblings in the next clutch.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170218/5f2f73187a7b5d25a2b2bac93dcbf340.jpg

farfromsea
02/18/2017, 06:13 PM
Awesome! Hopefully they don't starve

taricha
02/18/2017, 09:38 PM
Awesome! Hopefully they don't starve

Thanks. We'll see. They seem right now to hunt more along the bottom of the tank. So I took a sample from the bottom - euplotes ciliates and a few pod nauplii. Would be very interesting if the fish are actually eating ciliates too.
I don't think I'll put a healthy one under microscope to see what it's been eating since there's only 3. Maybe next batch.

Temperature
I had heater set at 80 on one side of tank and thermometer on other side reading 78, and the fish hung out close to the heater all day, so I upped the heater temp to 82.

taricha
02/19/2017, 07:14 AM
Lost all 3 fry within 48hrs. So many things not ideal it's hard to say what got them. Temp overshot so thermometer on far side of tank from heater read 84. Food availability and water quality also suspect.

But female is fat with eggs again so we'll see how it goes.

taricha
02/19/2017, 05:50 PM
One clue that spawning is about to happen is digging a deep pit outside the tunnels. Presumably that's where the spawning takes place.
This pit (front left) was freshly re-dug today.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/0eeac6214496bb5e12d8a7befde2d489.jpg

Here's a shot of how much sand was dug out today
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/d136498eaeaec79bfa8ed9b1c6bb6368.jpg

farfromsea
02/19/2017, 07:40 PM
Wow did not realize they spawn so soon after the first time? What intensity of light do you have for the 14H perjodv

taricha
02/19/2017, 08:44 PM
Wow did not realize they spawn so soon after the first time? What intensity of light do you have for the 14H perjodv

"Spawn Time of Day: Dusk
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 3/23/16 for the spawn documented here. Approximately every 10-11 days a new spawn is recorded."
from thread (http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=98002) on mbi

If last spawn was on Friday (I found male with eggs Sat), then tomorrow evening would be 10 days.

Such a short turnaround. If my pod culture doesn't whip into shape miraculously, I'll likely skip trying to do anything with this next batch and focus on getting my act together on the live food cultures.

Light:
I think my light intensity is like 56 watts of sucky LEDs + direct morning sun.
there's I believe 24 watts of sucky LEDs that are on for the 14hrs.

taricha
02/20/2017, 07:42 PM
So at least the phytoplankton part of the live culture is working like it should.
T-Iso (Tisochrysis lutea): left is on 2/15, right is today 2/20.

I know that's still not dense by culture standards, but I split it for redundancy. Inoculated 2 sterilized .5L batches (with f/2 strength) and a test tube to save culture in case of crash.

Phase 1 is looking solid. 3 separate cultures + backup. 2 L total.

Now on to Phase 2: Can I get more than a few sprinklings of these parvocalanus crassirostris pods?

farfromsea
02/20/2017, 10:56 PM
What resource are you using to plan your culture cultivation? Fingers crossed for some parvo

taricha
02/21/2017, 04:46 AM
What resource are you using to plan your culture cultivation? Fingers crossed for some parvo

Here's what I've been reading on parvocalanus - and they are so versatile for raising larval fish, I think it'd be of interest to a lot of people.

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=79048&mpage=1
Lots of good info - can skip over the discussions of carbon per volume in cultures. Bottom line: we feed too much. Pics in there of what constitutes appropriate food amount, and its impossible to make myself feed that little T-Iso. :-)

"Development of intensive copepod culture technology for Parvocalanus crassirostris: Optimizing adult density"
Good stuff on optimal culture composition/splitting etc.
Headlines: "Fecundity decreased from 26 eggs per female per day at an adult density of 0.25 per mL to less than 1 egg per female per day when operated at 8 adults mL."
also see the attached pic from study. Suggest to me to split (or remove adults) once ~1 adult/mL is reached, if we're going for max growth.

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?&m=82828&mpage=1
more discussion of feeding levels - how much parvo can I support with these bottles of T-Iso?
also discussion of co-cultures and using different filter sieve sizes - when ciliates etc creep up in a parvo bucket.

taricha
02/21/2017, 05:07 AM
Here's the pic of goal food levels according to thread #1 in last post.
Fed with T-Iso on the left, unfed on the right.
It looks like nothing and on top of that, the poster in the thread says that his cultures that get fed least are the ones that do the best.

taricha
02/21/2017, 06:33 PM
10 days after first spawn, male has another mouth full of eggs this morning.
Spawns on evenings of 2/10 & 2/20.

farfromsea
02/22/2017, 11:46 PM
Awesome! I've been too sleep deprived to read those articles properly but hopefully will be able to soon! Thanks for them. Will be following the second batch

taricha
02/23/2017, 07:19 PM
One step forward, two steps back last couple of days.
Parvo pods are progressing I think. Slowly. Three containers with parvo pod populations that I've managed to avoid overfeeding. Probably 3/4 a gallon total, and much less than 1 adult per mL.

Two steps back... male decided he would eat the eggs yesterday. Not sure how. I fed him so much I figured he was too fat to eat the eggs. That pig proved me wrong.

And my T-iso...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170224/991e27f0b2bb93bdfd2d460057fdac16.jpg
It's not gold anymore, it's rapidly turning green, microscope shows it contaminated. I waited too long to split and make backup cultures, so those are contaminated too, though not as thoroughly. Probably will stay mostly live T-iso for one more day. I also have some phycopure copepod blend that's refrigerated. Although not ideal, it'll keep the parvo pods alive until I can reestablish clean T-iso.
Sigh.
Apparently there's a reason people don't breed jawfish all the time.

taricha
02/25/2017, 12:52 PM
I'm going to post things related to the culturing of the microfoods in the microfoods thread, and post in here stuff more directly related to the jawfish.

The Chromis in my tank harasses the jawfish (and everyone else in the tank) and most of the activity around the jawfish tunnels involves defending them from the chromis harassment all day long. It's always been this way, but nonetheless I'm thinking it's time for the chromis to go. I'm thinking perhaps the swallowing of the eggs might have had something to do with the constant harassment of the chromis.
So maybe I'm going fishing with a real tiny hook today.

farfromsea
02/25/2017, 01:48 PM
Yes my plan to for my (future currently nonexistent) jawfish is to have them be basically the only fish in the tank. All I have now are mollies

taricha
02/28/2017, 05:57 PM
Yes my plan to for my (future currently nonexistent) jawfish is to have them be basically the only fish in the tank.

That would simplify things definitely.
By my count 2-3 days until next batch of eggs. I feel like removing the chromis is necessary to bring down stress level in the tank. Chromis is too suspicious to be caught by even a tiny hook.
Plan B is to take advice I heard long ago: train fish to eat from a container, so you can catch any fish whenever you need.
It takes time.. Yesterday only one fish went in on purpose, one on accident. Today, two fish in on purpose, two briefly in on accident.
Algae Blenny this evening decided that if there was a food bucket, he would live in it (part time, at least).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/b550203cee64ef1c7bb47777844107e7.jpg
Progress.

farfromsea
03/01/2017, 12:40 AM
What is your plan for the chromis? You have another tank?

taricha
03/01/2017, 03:55 AM
What is your plan for the chromis? You have another tank?

Nah, to the LFS.

taricha
03/04/2017, 06:32 AM
My fish are confused. They spawned at lights on yesterday. 11 days since last spawn.
Female went into male's tunnel with fat belly, bobbed halfway in/out of entrance a few times. Looked almost as though the male might have been pulling the female back in by the tail. Female came out without eggs in belly and male had them in his mouth.

4 days of feeding in the tube and on day 5, I gave it a shot.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/27080f15f136c24ecd5186aa1786242a.jpg
Caught that fast chromis on first try.

In the lead-up to that the two jawfish didn't get that much food because I was only feeding the tube, so the male might have eaten the eggs on day 1.

But now the chromis is gone, there will be a lot less stress and territorial aggressive displays.

farfromsea
03/04/2017, 10:11 AM
Impressive fish catching. Too bad about the eggs but there will be more and you get more time to prep the cultures

taricha
03/04/2017, 08:00 PM
So this morning, I saw this and realized I might have misjudged the male.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170305/b9b4d7e33e65c4bdb3e2de3520424809.jpg

Tunnel entrance being totally sealed is one of the behaviors I've only seen them do when guarding eggs.

And this evening he appears...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170305/1807892348c8b172aa9bff7ed4adcffe.jpg
...With eggs. I guess I just have to get used to the fact that when he sees me, he expects a meal, so he may go 20 minutes without appearing outside the tunnel with the eggs in his mouth.

RIP Sebastian
03/07/2017, 07:26 AM
Such a durpy look on his face! If- or when- you're successful, do you think you'll sell any of them?

taricha
03/07/2017, 08:18 AM
Such a durpy look on his face! If- or when- you're successful, do you think you'll sell any of them?
Yep. If I somehow manage that then I'd like to make some available. And guaranteed if any survive my care then they must be hardy individuals :-)

McPuff
03/07/2017, 01:37 PM
This is VERY cool! I have always liked yellow headed jawfish. Want to get one in my 300... or a pair. It seems that they will do ok even with other, faster feeders around. Do you target feed the adults? Or will they be able to come out and get mysis (e.g.) when I feed the tank? I've got some wrasses and tangs that are quick to feed. But nothing that is super aggressive.

taricha
03/07/2017, 05:33 PM
This is VERY cool! I have always liked yellow headed jawfish. Want to get one in my 300... or a pair. It seems that they will do ok even with other, faster feeders around. Do you target feed the adults? Or will they be able to come out and get mysis (e.g.) when I feed the tank? I've got some wrasses and tangs that are quick to feed. But nothing that is super aggressive.
I'll talk about what happens in my tank, because other experiences vary. At first, I target fed right to their tunnel entrances. Now, I just feed their side of the tank. If other big fast movers are around, they will not go much further out of their tunnel than a body length. But if food flows within that target area, they'll snap it up. When no one is around they'll go almost a foot away from their tunnel.
They'll also stay up late and hunt in dark after others have gone to bed.
Some foods they had to learn and others they recognized immediately. Mysis and brine shrimp they took almost immediately.
One thing they react to in a totally different way than everything else - they can spot a swimming amphipod no other fish even notices and snag it from half a tank away. It's got to have been a big part of their diet in the wild - they are like anti-aircraft missiles for swimming amphipods.

McPuff
03/08/2017, 06:21 AM
I'll talk about what happens in my tank, because other experiences vary. At first, I target fed right to their tunnel entrances. Now, I just feed their side of the tank. If other big fast movers are around, they will not go much further out of their tunnel than a body length. But if food flows within that target area, they'll snap it up. When no one is around they'll go almost a foot away from their tunnel.
They'll also stay up late and hunt in dark after others have gone to bed.
Some foods they had to learn and others they recognized immediately. Mysis and brine shrimp they took almost immediately.
One thing they react to in a totally different way than everything else - they can spot a swimming amphipod no other fish even notices and snag it from half a tank away. It's got to have been a big part of their diet in the wild - they are like anti-aircraft missiles for swimming amphipods.

Awesome! I was hoping for some info like this. Good thing I've already got a screen top as I'm gonna have to get one or two. :0)

taricha
03/09/2017, 05:39 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170309/41be4c67bbb4f367855a618b8e2904d7.jpg
Yesterday was day 5 by my count. Expecting hatch Friday (night?)
Got two small tanks set up for the fry with two different methods.
One tank is "easy" and one is "dense."

"Dense" is putting the fry into a parvocalanus culture tank, fed by cultured T-iso and Phycopure copepod blend. Chlor-am-x for ammonia control/water quality between water changes. Parvo pods will be maintained as close to 2-3 adults per mL as possible for max egg/nauplii production.

"Easy" tank is a Tisbe pod culture tank with rotifers added. Ammonia control/water quality by clumps of chaeto. Tank is fed RGcomplete, DTs, and any greenwater culture I have at the time. It's "easy" because of the larger range of food the Tisbe and Rots will accept, and relying on chaeto for water quality. This will not have near the same nutrition density so I'll try fewer fry.

If anyone can ballpark estimate a number of fry per gallon that's reasonable to attempt I'd be interested to hear.

RIP Sebastian
03/09/2017, 08:46 AM
Good luck! Hope it goes well!

taricha
03/11/2017, 07:43 AM
I need a better method for collecting. Or get luckier figuring out when the hatch will be.
No hatch at dawn yesterday (day 7), so I took the lights low manually for sunset last night. No sign of hatching followed for 45 minutes or so. So I took the tank all dark so I could be in place for manual lights-on dawn today (day 8).
Eggs gone before lights came on. Almost no sign of any hatch overnight except 2 dead fry on the water surface. Scoured the tank looking for a live fry - couldn't find sign of a single one.
My tank devours fish fry and leaves no trace. Issues of breeding in a reef tank.
I maybe could have upped the chance of a fry lasting the night if I had remembered to cut off the strong powerheads and leave only the minor flow running.
Ah well. Jawfish back to courting immediately. 20 second video of courtship activity.
https://youtu.be/r3iU1omu5IE

Male on the left initiates. Twirl around each other angled upwards, mouths open.
Spawning should happen in a day or two.
In actual spawning, the female would follow male into his tunnel, and lay eggs there for male to mouth brood.

taricha
03/14/2017, 11:45 AM
New spawn 8:00 this morning:
Spawn Dates...
(first two night/morning?) 2/10-11, 2/20-21, 3/3 AM, 3/14 AM.
The last two have been 11 days since previous spawn and I actually witnessed spawning within an hour of lights on. The first two dates I assumed spawns happened at sunset because that's what others said, But the two spawns I actually witnessed were at dawn.

I got this one on video (the part not in the tunnel obviously) will upload later, after I have time to edit it down from the original 30 minutes.

farfromsea
03/15/2017, 12:09 AM
I wonder if you can put some sort of mesh bag thing over their hole to catch the fry on/around the days they will release them?

farfromsea
03/26/2017, 10:46 PM
Any luck?

taricha
03/27/2017, 05:40 AM
Some luck, just not on fish front. I'm much better at growing phyto now, should be a long time before I have to buy any more stock. And the parvocalanus pods are easily stable now, too.
Male swallowed last batch (3/14 spawn) 3 or 4 days in. But is currently holding another batch. spawn dates:
(first two night/morning?) 2/10-11, 2/20-21, 3/3 AM, 3/14 AM, 3/25 AM (probably)

farfromsea
03/27/2017, 09:51 AM
Nice! Looks like you should have another batch next week. Wonder why he swallowed them...

taricha
03/27/2017, 06:38 PM
Nice! Looks like you should have another batch next week. Wonder why he swallowed them...

Wish I knew. Would be better to know what I was doing wrong than wondering if it's amount of food, choice of diet, water chemistry, other environmental, or he just randomly keeps eating them.

ginpang
03/30/2017, 04:11 AM
I don't think it has much to do with water chemistry...
probably more with practice.
The pair I had in the early 2000's took about 8 or 9 dry runs before reaching the full incubation.

The male I have now seems very experienced and holds eggs very well. Though unfortunately had his female jump out recently.

They also take breaks during the year. I think that has a link with photoperiod and temperature.

taricha
03/30/2017, 03:18 PM
I don't think it has much to do with water chemistry...
probably more with practice.
The pair I had in the early 2000's took about 8 or 9 dry runs before reaching the full incubation.

The male I have now seems very experienced and holds eggs very well. Though unfortunately had his female jump out recently.

They also take breaks during the year. I think that has a link with photoperiod and temperature.

Yep. Wouldn't be so annoying if he hadn't carried the very first batch all the way to hatch.

taricha
04/08/2017, 06:14 AM
Any ideas on male swallowing eggs?
More batches swallowed on day 2-3. The dude is so well-fed it looks like he couldn't possibly eat eggs, yet he does.
I've tried removing aggressive fish, feeding more, adding food variety, blocking sump light from entering tunnel. Stumped.
Frustrating because I have 3 types of phytoplankton and 5 cultures of pods all stable and ready to go, after lots of failure.
If I could manage to steal eggs somehow, what would be necessary? Small chamber with an aggressive bubbler, water changed frequently?

farfromsea
04/13/2017, 09:45 PM
I looked into it and I couldn't find any good information on why they swallow the eggs. Some people suggested the fish felt intimidated. In fact there is a public aquarium somewhere where a guy got a jawfish to breed regularly on display by attaching something to the glass so that it worked like a one-way window i guess. "So that people could see in but the fish couldn't see the people" the article said.

I guess you could try putting a sheet on the tank so you don't disturb him? Haha this is a crazy idea but if you're feeling crazy [emoji12]

taricha
05/02/2017, 09:39 PM
Ok, so on the topic of male eating eggs. Last 3 batches, he ate them on day 2. :-(
I'd been trying feeding unusually high amounts of food to get him fat enough he wouldn't be tempted to eat the eggs, but it was precisely while feeding the tank on day 2 that he'd swallow the eggs. So maybe something about the constant rain of food was encouraging him to swallow eggs. I dunno.
Anyway, so now I'm trying much less food.
Fed tank on day 1. He's never had a problem stashing eggs and eating on day 1. Then no food on days 2 & 3. Fed on day 4, and he stashed the eggs and ate without problems. No food day 5 today. I'll try to feed tomorrow on day 6, and then no food till hatches on day 7.
Anyway, very scarce feedings is working much better at the moment than the heavy feedings did.
Maybe in nature he would typically not eat all that much for the 7 days.

farfromsea
05/02/2017, 10:13 PM
Interesting! I just got my mated pair so I'm even more excited to follow along. Keep us posted on the hatching! Fingers crossed

taricha
05/03/2017, 06:56 PM
Stupid fish swallowed eggs on day 6 just before I was about to feed the tank.
I'll try again with scarce feeding. 6 days is a lot closer to hatch than 2 days.

taricha
05/09/2017, 06:16 AM
If anyone is interested in thinking about breeding stuff, and wants some starter cultures - check my thread out (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636200). If you are within my 1 day UPS ground shipping zone, I'll gladly hook you up.

taricha
06/29/2017, 09:15 PM
I have fishies hatching tonight! First time the make has made it full 7 days since the very beginning.
Maybe I'll get lucky and manage to collect a few.

eastlake
07/03/2017, 06:29 AM
Awesome! Hopefully you can catch a few and raise them out, good luck!

taricha
07/03/2017, 08:18 AM
Very few hatched, of those some abnormalities, those that seemed normal last one made it to 48hr only.
Sounds like diet during egg development may have been lacking
Oh, and my parvocalanus pods got contaminated and overrun by tisbe.
Got a lot to figure out. Maybe shoulda started with clownfish? :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farfromsea
07/04/2017, 02:43 PM
Exciting except for the premature death part. Hopefully the next round is better

gabloo
07/05/2017, 06:41 PM
Good Luck!