PDA

View Full Version : toadstool problem?

surfingdude
02/12/2017, 07:17 PM
alright, got this guy last week. all is good until this morning. didnt think much of it but the guy is still not opened up. the lower part did shed off but did not see this on the polyp side. What concerns me are the white stuff where polyps are. Should I be concerned. Other toadstool is perfect.

BigEZ77
02/12/2017, 07:47 PM
Likely it's just shedding. They do that from time to time. It's like a waxy skin that they shed. Toadstools can live thru virtually anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

OldReefGuy
02/12/2017, 10:37 PM
+1....get used to it

leheath
02/13/2017, 12:18 AM
Mine just spent 5 days not opening because it was shedding/growing. It seems to do this fairly routinely, although previously it only closed for a day or two. Anyway, probably just normal for this coral.

schnebbles
02/13/2017, 06:50 AM
I blow mine with a baster and it helps sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Goose
02/13/2017, 07:12 AM
I'm new to reefing, too and my first coral (a toadstool) did exactly that. Looked ok for a day or two, then quit putting polyps out and finally shed. It took a few days but it's looking much better now.

surfingdude
02/13/2017, 08:03 AM
good to know...Thanks everyone.

Reincarnate
02/13/2017, 11:34 AM
These corals tend to do best with a lot of chaotic flow IME. This helps with the shedding process and keeps the coral free from detritus, algae etc. Having a secure base is also important. The link below goes into some detail about this I believe.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/corals

Reefer40b
02/13/2017, 07:01 PM
These corals tend to do best with a lot of chaotic flow IME. This helps with the shedding process and keeps the coral free from detritus, algae etc. Having a secure base is also important. The link below goes into some detail about this I believe.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/corals

Yea mine kept closing and shedding when mine was not getting enough flow... put in more flow and it now stays open all the time

surfingdude
02/16/2017, 01:20 PM
This guy keeps looking worse. Concerned because it looked so awesome last week. It looks like it's shrinking but still stiff and upright...I guess that's always a good thing��.

I did turn the lights up last week and actually found that my blues were at 100% too, not sure how that happened, normally they are at 70%. I reduced my whites back to way they were last week. I know it shedded from the trunk but haven't seen anything like that on the polyp side. Been throwing flow at it too.

All parameters are good, tho I don't check for alkalinity and the other stuff. I just check for nit, nitrates, and phosphates. Should be checking anything else? Could it be too much lighting? Tho I thought they like lighting? I do have a long polyp toadstool and is doing great, tho he is lower in the tank and off to the side away from straight lighting.

surfingdude
02/16/2017, 01:22 PM
Someone get me a medic...feeling for this guy.

Ztous
02/16/2017, 01:23 PM
I find that more flow equals more time spent open and less shedding. I think the flow just helps it through the process faster.