PDA

View Full Version : Just wow, just lucky

Newfishgirl
02/13/2017, 08:15 AM
I am breathing a little heavy from shock. Everything happens for a reason. I stayed home this morning to do some paperwork before I left to make sales calls. Took my time this morning and decided to feed the fish tanks last. On my way out of the fish room, I decided to turn on the Mantis tank light which I never do in the morning. I turned the light on and my female Peacock, Athena, was not in her PVC pipe. I moved the rocks and still nothing. I proceeded to look in the return and sump, around the tank and on the floor. Still nothing. As I started to move everything around, I noticed Athena was laying on her back on top of a box in the corner! She was still moving but just slightly. I picked her up and put her back in the tank. She is flapping her fins under her tail and moving very slowly. She is looking around and slowly getting her strength back. After all these years have mantis shrimp this has never happened and I'm glad I am running late this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadhead
02/13/2017, 01:05 PM
good catch!

MMacro
02/13/2017, 01:07 PM
Glad shes ok!

DrJamesDaddy
02/13/2017, 02:59 PM
Wow, good luck indeed.

Newfishgirl
02/13/2017, 06:47 PM
She's still on her side just waving her pleopods. I gave her her favorite food and she got up moved and went back on her side. I'll do a small water change and add some calcium to see how that goes.

Shallow Reef
02/13/2017, 06:59 PM
Things do happen for a reason especially good things when a person is patient, just how this hobby teaches us to be patient. Good find and i hope she recovers well. Keep us updated.

Shallow Reef
02/13/2017, 07:08 PM
How big is your setup? i've just stumbled on this part of the forum and like the idea of keeping one. Just thinking about size of the tank to consider. Although it maybe possible that i've had one in my last setup due to hearing all that loud clicking.

Newfishgirl
02/13/2017, 07:09 PM
I have her in a 40 AIO. I had a small Chiragra in a pico and she was happy.

Shallow Reef
02/13/2017, 07:18 PM
Oh right. Have you kept anything else live with them i.e corals, cuc and even other fish? (Sorry to hijack thread was considering to make a thread)

Newfishgirl
02/13/2017, 07:20 PM
It's okay. I have damsels in the tank with my peacock. No hermit crabs or snails. She loves them. Athena, that's her name and she even shares a PVC pipe with one of the damsels all night. My male I had before he passed was in a 56 with a clown pair and damsels.

Shallow Reef
02/13/2017, 07:33 PM
Nice. Thanks for all the info, it's got me really interested.

Newfishgirl
02/13/2017, 08:37 PM
Definitely you should get one. They are truly amazing!

Jayreefer
02/13/2017, 08:53 PM
Hope she pulls through. First time I have heard of a mantis going for a walk outside the tank.

Newfishgirl
02/14/2017, 05:43 AM
She's still alive but just sitting by some rocks. It's like she's pouting. She's been acting a little strange for a while and I wonder if she's dying and that's why she jumped out to die faster? There is nothing in the tank that would scare her enough to jump.

nmotz
02/14/2017, 04:07 PM
Wow, crazy, really amazing you were able to find her before she died. Mantis shrimp (especially Odontodactylids) do go "carpet-surfing" every now and then.

hann1bal
02/14/2017, 04:23 PM
This is why EVERY tank should have a lid.. just my opionion

Shallow Reef
02/14/2017, 05:56 PM
You can buy them neat netting tops with borders. That way your not affecting your PH levels with a tight hood. They neaten the look of the tank.

Newfishgirl
02/14/2017, 05:57 PM
I have one on there now. I have had 3 mantis and she's the first jumper. Have to say, clearing 2 feet, as there is no way should could have gotten up there, is impressive

Shallow Reef
02/14/2017, 06:04 PM
She must have been like a cannon out of the tank to get through the netting. Although similar happened to one of my fish. It was a freshwater swordtale and after i found her and put her back in she puked this white stuff out and then she was fine swimming again like nothing happened. Not surebhow long she wasout though