PDA

View Full Version : ID - Male or Female blue jaw trigger

tmnigat
02/14/2017, 03:30 PM
LFS sold this to me as a male. I remember him having more color but never a defined blue jaw. I asked them about him not coloring up and they said it might be female as they label the fish by what the bag from the vendor says.

That said, any idea what my guy/gal is? He seems to have a little yellow left on his fin but being colorblind myself I can't really tell. If it is a male I'm thinking of getting him a girlfriend and hoping the two of them get along.

His home is normally my 150g but for the last 2 weeks has been in a 10g after battling an ich outbreak. He's doing good though and now just waiting the fallow period out :D

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/4Qx998N.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/k8yAxEm.jpg?1

CrayolaViolence
02/14/2017, 04:05 PM
Males have yellow outlines on the tail. Females have red/pink.

Very easy to ID.

tmnigat
02/14/2017, 07:54 PM
Very easy to I'd if you are not color blind which I said I was in the above post...

Anybody else who can help I'd and not be a douche?

jimmy n
02/14/2017, 08:02 PM
Looks like a yellow tail to me....

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 07:53 AM
Very easy to I'd if you are not color blind which I said I was in the above post...

Anybody else who can help I'd and not be a douche?

I didn't comment on the color of this fish's tail because the photo is dark and the colors are somewhat skewed. It appears to be yellow, but it's hard to say. A better photo would help tremendously.

Are you black and white color blind? Or red and green?

tmnigat
02/15/2017, 08:21 AM
I didn't comment on the color of this fish's tail because the photo is dark and the colors are somewhat skewed. It appears to be yellow, but it's hard to say. A better photo would help tremendously.

Are you black and white color blind? Or red and green?

I took probably 20 photos and that was the clearest I could get. I don't have a light on the HT so only natural light to work with.

As for what kind of color blindness, I have severe protanopia. My entire life I have second guessed what color's I see in things because of how often I get them wrong. I think I see yellow in its tail but I just wanted a second set of eyes to check him out.

BigBlueTang
02/15/2017, 09:15 AM
I took probably 20 photos and that was the clearest I could get. I don't have a light on the HT so only natural light to work with.

As for what kind of color blindness, I have severe protanopia. My entire life I have second guessed what color's I see in things because of how often I get them wrong. I think I see yellow in its tail but I just wanted a second set of eyes to check him out.

Not a problem! Being sure is always a good thing.. I'm pretty sure it's a male as well. If you really want to be sure, grab a lamp or use your phone flashlight to light up the tank for a better pic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter31707
02/15/2017, 09:33 AM
I'm going to say that may be a female.

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 11:37 AM
If the tail is yellow, then it's definitely a male. It looks yellow in the photo, but the photo is kinda yellow because of the light.

Moort82
02/15/2017, 12:15 PM
I think male as well from the picture as you can just about see a faint blue chin. It's difficult with these as it might be a transitioning fish or just washed out from being in qt. You might find it colours deepen over the next few days

ZukoThePug
02/15/2017, 01:10 PM
Better lighting would help confirm sex ID but IMO it looks like a male.

cougareyes
02/15/2017, 08:06 PM
How big is he/she; until they are about 4 to 4.5" it can be hard to tell. Right now it looks like a female, but you add another male and you could end up with 2 males if this one isn't sexually mature yet. I have a pair in my 210, and I've seen 2 people get pairs, that the supposed female was actually a male not yet displaying his colors. Needless to say all heck broke loose.