PDA

View Full Version : Sump size for a 425g 96x36x30 ??

j4mypets
02/14/2017, 03:21 PM
Starting beginning stages of planning this tank build. At lfs today and they have a 180g we can pick up for $360 delivered and moved into our basement. ( we live about 50 mins away). They also have a 125g. So question is.... Is a 180g overkill??? Curious what size sumps you all have on your large tanks. Thanks in advance!!

CrayolaViolence
02/14/2017, 03:26 PM
More is never a bad thing. If anything you can section part of it off to make a display refugium. The difficult part will be the depth. I think a 125 will be annoyingly narrow for large skimmers.

CrayolaViolence
02/14/2017, 03:27 PM
P.s. or you can go smaller. I have a 29 gallon for a 180 gallon tank due to the size constraints of the stand.

j4mypets
02/14/2017, 03:50 PM
More is never a bad thing. If anything you can section part of it off to make a display refugium. The difficult part will be the depth. I think a 125 will be annoyingly narrow for large skimmers.

Thanks CrayolaViolence, I do agree that the 125g might be just too narrow. Go big or go home right?

King Jason
02/14/2017, 05:35 PM
For the sump I'm doing 60x25x24 on a 425 but that's what fits nicely into my fish room and still leaves room for an external fuge and frag tank. One consideration is the skimmer which was mentioned above which tend to be large for big tanks. I'm running an external skimmer so it's not a concern for me and all fits into the overall design I want.

If you can fit it and are handy enough to add in the baffles and misc nic nacs that make a nice sump, go for the bigger one!

j4mypets
02/14/2017, 05:44 PM
For the sump I'm doing 60x25x24 on a 425 but that's what fits nicely into my fish room and still leaves room for an external fuge and frag tank. One consideration is the skimmer which was mentioned above which tend to be large for big tanks. I'm running an external skimmer so it's not a concern for me and all fits into the overall design I want.

If you can fit it and are handy enough to add in the baffles and misc nic nacs that make a nice sump, go for the bigger one!

Thanks King Jason, we will be running plumbing from display down to the basement so the skimmer having overhead room wont be a problem. My husband did the handy work on our previous sump with the baffles, so this will just give him more playing room:crazy1: Would love to see your build, have you purchased the 425 yet? If so where did you get it from? We are currently looking at customaquariums.com. I will be adding the low iron glass and upgrading to 3/4" glass.

King Jason
02/14/2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks King Jason, we will be running plumbing from display down to the basement so the skimmer having overhead room wont be a problem. My husband did the handy work on our previous sump with the baffles, so this will just give him more playing room:crazy1: Would love to see your build, have you purchased the 425 yet? If so where did you get it from? We are currently looking at customaquariums.com. I will be adding the low iron glass and upgrading to 3/4" glass.

I'm still getting everything organized so my build thread would still be boring, but I'm going with A.G.E. (www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com). Custom Aquariums also makes nice tanks.

j4mypets
02/14/2017, 06:30 PM
I'm still getting everything organized so my build thread would still be boring, but I'm going with A.G.E. (www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com). Custom Aquariums also makes nice tanks.

Maybe so, but still exciting! Good luck. I would love any advice you have along the way, since we will have similar builds. We are still early planning too.

scubadan206
02/15/2017, 09:11 AM
Go big.. My display is a 120, but I built a sump in the basement that holds everything, refugium, frag section, rocks.
My sump runs at about 18 inches water height, so 375 gallons+-.:crazy1:

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 10:11 AM
Go big.. My display is a 120, but I built a sump in the basement that holds everything, refugium, frag section, rocks.
My sump runs at about 18 inches water height, so 375 gallons+-.:crazy1:

Scubadan206, I think I am definitely going to go with the 180, and it will also be in the basement. Is your DT on 1st floor? If so what return pump did you go with? I'm looking at the reeflo hammerhead/barracuda. I was told the Vectra L1 doesn't have enough head pressure. Any and all thoughts welcome

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 11:16 AM
Personally, I like pond pumps. They are tough, can handle crap getting into them, and they have a ton of head.

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 11:31 AM
Personally, I like pond pumps. They are tough, can handle crap getting into them, and they have a ton of head.

Thanks, that's interesting because when we were at lfs yesterday they were running pool pumps and all last night my husband was researching it. Didn't even really think of pond pumps, same idea. Will look into it, thanks again!

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 11:36 AM
What a difference between the 180g we had, jumping to this large of a tank. Plumbing being on a different level, needing to support flooring, building a steel frame stand, way more water storage, it goes on and on. SUPER EXCITED!! not for the $ part though LOL
I am definitely going to keep track to see what we will have invested when all is said and done, it will be interesting to know. We never did that with our 180g I just kinda guessed probably way off. Thinking of it, maybe its better we not know!!!

scubadan206
02/15/2017, 03:07 PM
Yes the display is on the 1st floor. I have waveline DC 120000. It runs 3 reactors and pumps up 10 feet to the main tank. The non-throwaway upgrade will be an Abyzz 200. When I can budget for it.

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 04:24 PM
Yes the display is on the 1st floor. I have waveline DC 120000. It runs 3 reactors and pumps up 10 feet to the main tank. The non-throwaway upgrade will be an Abyzz 200. When I can budget for it.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with either, but will research more.

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks, that's interesting because when we were at lfs yesterday they were running pool pumps and all last night my husband was researching it. Didn't even really think of pond pumps, same idea. Will look into it, thanks again!

The really nice thing about them is that they cost about 1/10 the price of an "aquarium" pump. That way you can afford to buy two and keep the extra on hand for emergencies.

I think I paid 75.00 for the 13,000 GPH with like 18 feet of head. I had to dial it all the way down because it wanted to shoot the water out of the tank.

And honestly, for the price, they are reasonably quiet. The only time I ever hear mine is if one of my pipes touches the side of the tank and it will hum.

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 05:25 PM
The really nice thing about them is that they cost about 1/10 the price of an "aquarium" pump. That way you can afford to buy two and keep the extra on hand for emergencies.

I think I paid 75.00 for the 13,000 GPH with like 18 feet of head. I had to dial it all the way down because it wanted to shoot the water out of the tank.

And honestly, for the price, they are reasonably quiet. The only time I ever hear mine is if one of my pipes touches the side of the tank and it will hum.

Great to know, if it works as good or better and is cheaper, at this point that makes me happy. Will definitely look into it. If I can save on a few things where the big costs are going to be huge, that's great!:bounce1:

j4mypets
02/15/2017, 06:35 PM
Side note before we start this process, my husband doesn't think $300 for the 180g ( he will have to make mods on) is a good price. I originally posted it will be $365 with delivery and moving almost an hour away. Worth it? Thoughts??

scubadan206
02/16/2017, 02:29 AM
Good price. Sale prices for smaller tanks could be more than that.
I built my sump out of plywood and glass. 8x4x30 inches

j4mypets
02/16/2017, 08:50 AM
Good price. Sale prices for smaller tanks could be more than that.
I built my sump out of plywood and glass. 8x4x30 inches

Thanks, I think it is also. Going in the next couple days to pay and have them deliver. I appreciate your help.

j4mypets
02/17/2017, 07:38 PM
Step one done, bought the 180 tonight! Just got real

j4mypets
02/17/2017, 08:40 PM
Next step, spend obsene amounts of money on fun gadgets and get steel stand planned and executed .:bounce1:

King Jason
02/17/2017, 08:50 PM
Enjoy!!

j4mypets
02/17/2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks King Jason, when thing really start happening, I will take lots of pics and document along the way, and start a thread

worm5406
02/17/2017, 09:28 PM
Step one done, bought the 180 tonight! Just got real

Did you tell the hubby yet??

j4mypets
02/17/2017, 09:48 PM
Did you tell the hubby yet??

He was with me, this hobby we really enjoy together and we had gotten away from it for awhile. October is our 20th Anniversary and instead of a big fat diamond I want a big fat tank! Nothing wrong with that right?

worm5406
02/17/2017, 10:24 PM
Very true. I agree with you.

j4mypets
02/18/2017, 09:27 PM
As a side note, I originally posted this thread as a 425g, as that's what custom aquariums has as their "rounded number" for a 96x36x30. After more research... calcualtors and mrsaltwatertank having the exact dimensions it seems to come in at 448g. Not a huge difference but a small cause for concern. I also am not sure about their overflows, I seem to be stretching toward synergy's ghost overflows. Something about those h2o overflows doesn't sit right. Once again any and all opinions more then welcome. I am Sicilian I can take it!:fun2: So really I am floundering who to choose to create my dream tank/bank vault! And I already have sump bought I want to move on to equipement and steel stand. Plz any help.... gimmie what ya got!

anbosu
02/22/2017, 08:51 AM
Side note before we start this process, my husband doesn't think $300 for the 180g ( he will have to make mods on) is a good price. I originally posted it will be $365 with delivery and moving almost an hour away. Worth it? Thoughts??

Is the 180 new? If so that's a really good price.

I paid $200 for a used custom sump from someone for my big tank, but I got a killer deal. If you want to go cheaper you can always use a rubbermaid stock tank or something like that. Since it's going to be down in the basement I would get as big of a sump as you can - having the extra space down the road for a little frag area or extra equipment would be nice.

worm5406
02/22/2017, 09:25 AM
Scubadan206, I think I am definitely going to go with the 180, and it will also be in the basement.

I agree if you are doing this in the basement and want dependability and no fear of ever cracking the glass on the sump, then a Stock Tank would be best.

I just looked up a 300g stock tank is $296 on tractorsupply.

lionfish300
02/25/2017, 09:09 PM
As a side note, I originally posted this thread as a 425g, as that's what custom aquariums has as their "rounded number" for a 96x36x30. After more research... calcualtors and mrsaltwatertank having the exact dimensions it seems to come in at 448g. Not a huge difference but a small cause for concern. I also am not sure about their overflows, I seem to be stretching toward synergy's ghost overflows. Something about those h2o overflows doesn't sit right. Once again any and all opinions more then welcome. I am Sicilian I can take it!:fun2: So really I am floundering who to choose to create my dream tank/bank vault! And I already have sump bought I want to move on to equipement and steel stand. Plz any help.... gimmie what ya got! I bought a 375 gallons 96"x 36" x 24" from Custom Aquarium. I love that 36" front and back so much space to rocks scape, not sure about 30" height reaching bottom of the tank specially toward the back is going to be a problem. As far as overflow I have them drilled and go with Gl*******s

King Jason
02/26/2017, 10:36 AM
I went with a 20" synergy's ghost overflow for mine

j4mypets
02/26/2017, 12:10 PM
Is the 180 new? If so that's a really good price.

I paid $200 for a used custom sump from someone for my big tank, but I got a killer deal. If you want to go cheaper you can always use a rubbermaid stock tank or something like that. Since it's going to be down in the basement I would get as big of a sump as you can - having the extra space down the road for a little frag area or extra equipment would be nice.

No it was used, it was actually the lfs's coral tank. still has their sticker logo on the back that I may leave there. We bought it, just waiting to have it delivered. The way into the basement was cover by 3' of snow. Mostly melted now.

j4mypets
02/26/2017, 12:15 PM
I agree if you are doing this in the basement and want dependability and no fear of ever cracking the glass on the sump, then a Stock Tank would be best.

I just looked up a 300g stock tank is $296 on tractorsupply.

We had looked at that possibly except I don't think we realized they came that big. We had a 100g for our horses and we were thinking tying a couple of those together. Well damage done now. The 180 is bought:hammer: Oh and I have huge fears of all tanks breaking. I saw one video of a disaster then looked up a thread. It terrifies me. We are going to go with 3/4" glass on 3 sides of the 450, hopefully that will be good. This is our brand new house, i'd hate to come home to all my animals swimming in my living room ( my lab would love it)

j4mypets
02/26/2017, 12:20 PM
I bought a 375 gallons 96"x 36" x 24" from Custom Aquarium. I love that 36" front and back so much space to rocks scape, not sure about 30" height reaching bottom of the tank specially toward the back is going to be a problem. As far as overflow I have them drilled and go with Gl*******s

I do agree about the 30" and I am a little weary of it being difficult. The only reason I think we will go with 30" is our original 180g DT was 24" and then I saw the 30 and just liked the looks of it a little better. We should have fairly good access to the back from both sides and front, but will definitely keep it in mind before we order the tank. I have gone back and forth about it. With the length 8' and width 3', I'm not sure how 2' H would look. Would love anyone to weigh in that has an 8X3x2 or seen one, or have pics. Thanks

j4mypets
02/26/2017, 12:24 PM
I went with a 20" synergy's ghost overflow for mine

How do you like it? This such a dumb question, so i apologize i am just having trouble wrapping my brain around it, If we order the tank and have them drill it to synergy's overflow specs. What if it gets here and doesn't all fit together??? Has anyone seem custom aquariums ghost overflows they do? Any thoughts?

j4mypets
02/26/2017, 12:33 PM
Lionfish300- Duh, I missed the dimensions you posted. ( started new job this week, a little tired) Do you have a pic of your tank???