PDA

View Full Version : Cheap dry live?

colesjensen
02/14/2017, 08:03 PM
I need about 100lbs of rock for my 220 aquarium. Anybody know where to get rock for dirt cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvanTheTerrible
02/14/2017, 08:11 PM
If you're looking for new rock, I've been happy with reefrocks.net both times I ordered from them. If you're not worried about new, you can try the classified section or craigslist. You can score some good deals, but you might have to wait a while.

- Ivan

worm5406
02/14/2017, 09:22 PM
No such thing as live dry... I hope you mean just Live.

colesjensen
02/14/2017, 09:23 PM
No such thing as live dry... I hope you mean just Live.

I meant to say "dry rock"

worm5406
02/14/2017, 09:27 PM
If you contact BRS and advise them what sizes you are looking for they can help you out pretty well. I ordered 'larger' sizes and got exactly what I wanted.

Most places get normal sized rock that does not meet certain needs. Depends on the size you are looking for and how far along ytou are.

Reefrock has some good items along with TBS.

I would get TBS if you wanted live.

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 07:41 AM
BRS has the absolute best prices and super high quality rock. Shipping is free. Considering what the rock sells for whole sale, I honestly do not know how they can afford to sell the stuff at their prices.

colesjensen
02/15/2017, 07:49 AM
BRS has the absolute best prices and super high quality rock. Shipping is free. Considering what the rock sells for whole sale, I honestly do not know how they can afford to sell the stuff at their prices.

I was looking at it and there rock is acually expensive. There 50 pound box is $135

Green Chromis
02/15/2017, 09:03 AM
I was looking at it and there rock is acually expensive. There 50 pound box is $135

:fish1: Hi, hate to be rude, but if you think the price for their dead rock is to expensive, I might try another hobby, in order to make this a successful hobby, you will need plenty of patience, especially using dead rock, and a few dollars, especially with a larger system. Good luck, but if I were you I would start your system using live rock, form a place like TBS, it will be cheaper in the long run. :fish1:

GatorScott
02/15/2017, 09:06 AM
Billysreefconnection.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colesjensen
02/15/2017, 09:07 AM
:fish1: Hi, hate to be rude, but if you think the price for their dead rock is to expensive, I might try another hobby, in order to make this a successful hobby, you will need plenty of patience, especially using dead rock, and a few dollars, especially with a larger system. Good luck, but if I were you I would start your system using live rock, form a place like TBS, it will be cheaper in the long run. :fish1:

I was saying it's expensive compared to other places. I found 50 pounds for $90

worm5406
02/15/2017, 09:27 AM
I agree there are different sizes and types of rock that vary. Just like buying bread, types and sizes adjust the price.

Tonga vs Pukanni is a few dollars per pound right there.

It is not like a stone you can just put in.

What type rock are you looking for and what size?

colesjensen
02/15/2017, 09:32 AM
I agree there are different sizes and types of rock that vary. Just like buying bread, types and sizes adjust the price.

Tonga vs Pukanni is a few dollars per pound right there.

It is not like a stone you can just put in.

What type rock are you looking for and what size?

I a rock they has a foot amount of holes for frags and also places for things to hide in. And I want the rocks to be medium to large in size

worm5406
02/15/2017, 01:00 PM
I a rock they has a foot amount of holes for frags and also places for things to hide in. And I want the rocks to be medium to large in size

That is why I don't use Taptalk. LOL

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 04:29 PM

With free shipping. That's not that much. Whole sale a box of rocks will cost you 105.00 per box plus 20.00 shipping and you have to buy at least 10 boxes.

BRS has rock for as little as I think it was 1.80 per pound? Or some ridiculous amount. It was branch rock I think. And that includes shipping.

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 04:30 PM
I was saying it's expensive compared to other places. I found 50 pounds for $90

And what kind of rock. You're not going to get good rock for that cheap. And by good rock I admit, I'm biased, in that I prefer rock from the ocean and preferably Fiji Pukani, branch rock, or other nice shapely rock.

And I don't know anywhere you can buy only ten pounds or so except bulk reef supply.

CrayolaViolence
02/15/2017, 04:35 PM
Also 50 pounds of pukani rock is going to look like ook like 50-75% more rock when compared to the out of the ground mined reef rock. Pukani rock is really light, 50 pounds of that stuff goes a LONG way.
With some apoxy sculpt and a hammer and chisel you can make some seriously bada$$ shapes too.

Mishri
02/15/2017, 04:35 PM
+1 to the TBS recommendation, I ordered dry for my 75 gallon and planning on ordering it for my 300 gallon.. I also have a 40g tank with their live rock in it that I'll use to seed my 300 gallon with all the beneficial little critters now that i've gotten rid of the pests.