PDA

View Full Version : Rescued Reef aquarium need help

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 12:24 PM
I recently rescued a poorly maintained reef aquarium 29 gallon with 10 g sump. It only contains 5 corals and a clownfish (ocellaris). Corals appear to be healthy and the fish appears healthly. The setup contains live sand and lots of live rock, but most of the live rock is covered with what appears to be a filamentous algae.

There is no carbon filter or protein skimmer. The original owner had a very old media bag with carbon, a live rock in the sump with LEDs lights at night for algae production and a sump/siphon recirculating system.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with the biggies and I appreciate any advice the experienced folks have. This is my very first saltwater setup so I'm not very knowledge at all on this subject. I do have a Ph D in aquatic toxicology, and I only mention that to say that I understand the needs of aquatic life in a natural setting and how that relates to tanks, but I'm not up on the technology or needs for these self-contained microcosms.

1) What is the best way to clean up my live rocks? I now have 3 hermit crabs and 3 snails that are working on them. With these cleaners and installing a carbon filter would that eventually take care of the filamentous algae issue? Ammonia is ND, and nitrates are low. Are there fish species that I could get to help this process? Is manually cleaning off of live rocks by hand a viable option to speed up the process?

2) Fish species. I'd really like to get another clownfish but I've read that it's a crapshoot because of the single clown in the tank. Does captive bred and getting another fish with significantly different size up my odds of it working out? In other words, what are the odds of getting another clown to be accepted in the tank? My current clown is couple years old but only a little over an inch long. Also, what other fish species would you recommend given I have a clown in a reef tank that is only 29g?

3) Fish density. I've read so many different numbers for inches of fish per gallon, but it appears a lot really depends on type and filteration and frequency of water changes. My carbon filter should be here in 2 days and I'm not adding anymore fish before that is in. Can I count the volume of my sump in the density calculation? What are your starting recommendations based on this tank size, filteration, and assuming I do bi-weekly 25% water changes?

Thanks

sde1500
02/15/2017, 12:39 PM
I recently rescued a poorly maintained reef aquarium 29 gallon with 10 g sump. It only contains 5 corals and a clownfish (ocellaris). Corals appear to be healthy and the fish appears healthly. The setup contains live sand and lots of live rock, but most of the live rock is covered with what appears to be a filamentous algae.

There is no carbon filter or protein skimmer. The original owner had a very old media bag with carbon, a live rock in the sump with LEDs lights at night for algae production and a sump/siphon recirculating system.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with the biggies and I appreciate any advice the experienced folks have. This is my very first saltwater setup so I'm not very knowledge at all on this subject. I do have a Ph D in aquatic toxicology, and I only mention that to say that I understand the needs of aquatic life in a natural setting and how that relates to tanks, but I'm not up on the technology or needs for these self-contained microcosms.

1) What is the best way to clean up my live rocks? I now have 3 hermit crabs and 3 snails that are working on them. With these cleaners and installing a carbon filter would that eventually take care of the filamentous algae issue? Ammonia is ND, and nitrates are low. Are there fish species that I could get to help this process? Is manually cleaning off of live rocks by hand a viable option to speed up the process?

2) Fish species. I'd really like to get another clownfish but I've read that it's a crapshoot because of the single clown in the tank. Does captive bred and getting another fish with significantly different size up my odds of it working out? In other words, what are the odds of getting another clown to be accepted in the tank? My current clown is couple years old but only a little over an inch long. Also, what other fish species would you recommend given I have a clown in a reef tank that is only 29g?

3) Fish density. I've read so many different numbers for inches of fish per gallon, but it appears a lot really depends on type and filteration and frequency of water changes. My carbon filter should be here in 2 days and I'm not adding anymore fish before that is in. Can I count the volume of my sump in the density calculation? What are your starting recommendations based on this tank size, filteration, and assuming I do bi-weekly 25% water changes?

Thanks

1) For the algae, manual removal isn't too bad. Take the rock out, scrub with a toothbrush dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Kills the algae quick, but don't get it on the corals. For a natural method, add an urchin, it will most likely mow down all the algae you have, but in a 29 gallon tank you may end up needing to supplement feeding for it. Mine does a pretty good job cleaning a 65 gallon tank.

2) After manual/natural removal, still need to address what is causing the algae. Most likely nutrients, get a skimmer if there is room, and a reactor for GFO/Carbon might not hurt either. Or add some sort of macro into the sump to grow.

3) Fish, you can def add another clown, make sure it is of the same species, and add the smallest one you possibly can. This helps to ensure you don't add a second female. Go to an LFS, find a tank full of clowns, buy the littlest one they have. For other fish, look into a goby/pistol shrimp combo, they are really cool and a staple in many small tanks. Royal gramma, firefish, cardinal fish, you have many options.

4) It certainly isn't a gallon per inch rule, but more a "how robust is your filtration, how big do the fish get, and how messy are they" rule. Running just LR and LS, with no additional filtration allows for less fish than if you add some filter socks, carbon, GFO, and a skimmer. All depends on how crazy you want to get.

Welcome to the hobby/obsession!

sde1500
02/15/2017, 12:41 PM
I should also add, lets see some pictures of the algae, corals and the tank!

My recommendations were pretty generic, and some algae is harder to fight than others. Pictures to ID the corals and the algae will help people give you info on caring for them. Also, what lights do you have for the corals?

thegrun
02/15/2017, 03:58 PM
Because the rock sounds like it sat in a poorly maintained aquarium for a long time it is likely that it has absorbed a lot of phosphates. It could take a year or more of fighting algae before you win the battle. Honestly if it were me I would purchase new rock and cycle it in a separate container like a Brute trash can. Once the new rock has cycled I would replace the old rock and sand with the new rock and new dry sand washed well to remove the fines.
As posted above you have a fairly good chance of successfully adding a smaller clown to your tank. The best time to do that would be when you replace the old rock with new rock since it would eliminate the established territory your current clown has established.
You should be able to add a firefish to your tank since its body type is much different than your clown(s). A flasher wrasse would also make a nice addition and because of it's mobility would be able to avoid conflicts with your clowns.

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 04:33 PM
I don't have good picture of the algae but I will post some tonight.

Thanks for the advice on the clownfish. I was thinking getting a big one would be the way to go so I'm glad I didn't go that route.

Here are a few pictures I had on my phone

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 04:35 PM
Good call on the obsession too. I can see myself getting in trouble with this hobby

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 04:38 PM
Speaking of fish, I live in a small town without an actual fish store besides Petco, so I'm stuck with them unless I order online. Curious to hear about experiences with online vendors. Any recommendations for the best fish quality and prices?

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 04:42 PM
I should also add, lets see some pictures of the algae, corals and the tank!

My recommendations were pretty generic, and some algae is harder to fight than others. Pictures to ID the corals and the algae will help people give you info on caring for them. Also, what lights do you have for the corals?

I don't know much about lighting, but it has a customizable LED setup with multiple colors and what appears to be UV (it that what makes the corals glow?)

I can take a picture of this later tonight too

jpcemc
02/15/2017, 04:55 PM
Speaking of fish, I live in a small town without an actual fish store besides Petco, so I'm stuck with them unless I order online. Curious to hear about experiences with online vendors. Any recommendations for the best fish quality and prices?

Honestly, I have used Petco quite a bit as I know that most of the fish they order will die if I don't take them. Yes, I know this furthers them ordering more, but even if I don't buy them, they keep getting new stock, so I can save some or save none. With that said I just QT the crap out of em. So far, I have saved a Kole, Foxface and Flame Angel and two Clowns. from Petco and QT'd them all and all are alive and happy in my 75G. We have a saltwater LFS here in town that I use as well, but as mentioned above, I have a history with the Petco here and a good history with the manager.

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 05:36 PM
Honestly, I have used Petco quite a bit as I know that most of the fish they order will die if I don't take them. Yes, I know this furthers them ordering more, but even if I don't buy them, they keep getting new stock, so I can save some or save none. With that said I just QT the crap out of em. So far, I have saved a Kole, Foxface and Flame Angel and two Clowns. from Petco and QT'd them all and all are alive and happy in my 75G. We have a saltwater LFS here in town that I use as well, but as mentioned above, I have a history with the Petco here and a good history with the manager.

Hahaha, I've actually had the same thought, plus I'd get to take them home that day. Unfortunately all our local Petco has is clownfish, damselfish, cardinals, and a few gobies fro the most part.

What does QT'd mean? Sorry not up with all the acronyms yet.

jpcemc
02/15/2017, 05:42 PM
Hahaha, I've actually had the same thought, plus I'd get to take them home that day. Unfortunately all our local Petco has is clownfish, damselfish, cardinals, and a few gobies fro the most part.

What does QT'd mean? Sorry not up with all the acronyms yet.

Quarantined. I usually leave them in my QT (quarantine) setup for a month or so. Just to make sure im not introducing anything to my display tanks (DT's).

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 09:10 PM
Here is a picture of the algae on the rocks

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 09:11 PM
Here are some pictures of the corals. I have no idea what any of them are, so any info would be great.

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 09:13 PM
Picture of the whole tank

Gastriclavage16
02/15/2017, 09:25 PM
Here are pictures of the hood with lights. They are LED is all I know.
Also a picture of the 10g sump. It has a live rock and media in it. It has LED lights hooked up to come on to grow algae that get pumped back into the tank. I assume if I install a carbon filter in the sump I won't need to light it anymore.

sde1500
02/16/2017, 04:24 AM
I'd leave the fuge lit. The carbon won't replace algae as a form of nutrient export.

For the corals, first is a zoanthid, Duncan, torch, goniopora/alveopora?, and mushroom. If that's a Goni it's hard to care for. Others aren't too bad and all look good. Though I'm sure the zoas would appreciate that rock being cleaner.

shua71
02/16/2017, 04:52 AM
Here are pictures of the hood with lights. They are LED is all I know.
Also a picture of the 10g sump. It has a live rock and media in it. It has LED lights hooked up to come on to grow algae that get pumped back into the tank. I assume if I install a carbon filter in the sump I won't need to light it anymore.

That algae looks like chaeto and you don't want that taking off in the tank. As far as adding another clown fish I recommend obviously getting the smallest one possible so it is unsexed or a male. You should put it in a clear container to keep the female from attacking it and just allow her to get used to the new clown. Release it after several days and if she attacks him try again. Good luck this is a very addicting hobby

Gastriclavage16
02/16/2017, 10:02 AM
I'd leave the fuge lit. The carbon won't replace algae as a form of nutrient export.

For the corals, first is a zoanthid, Duncan, torch, goniopora/alveopora?, and mushroom. If that's a Goni it's hard to care for. Others aren't too bad and all look good. Though I'm sure the zoas would appreciate that rock being cleaner.

Thanks for the information! So based on the algae pictures you are still recommending removing the rocks and conducting a thorough cleaning with peroxide and toothbrush? The hermit crabs and snails do a good job on the rocks they've hit, but not sure if they can tackle the levels of algae on so many rocks.

Gastriclavage16
02/16/2017, 10:05 AM
I've been reading up on protein skimmers and read everything from "you don't need one for a 29 g tank" to "YOU NEED A PROTEIN SKIMMER FOR A REEF TANK." Despite only being a 10g sump, there is plenty of room in there for most any small model. I've narrowed it down to the Reef Octopus 110SSS or the Bubble Magnus Curve 5. Any advice on those?
Haven't ruled out the AquaMaxx WS1...

sde1500
02/16/2017, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the information! So based on the algae pictures you are still recommending removing the rocks and conducting a thorough cleaning with peroxide and toothbrush? The hermit crabs and snails do a good job on the rocks they've hit, but not sure if they can tackle the levels of algae on so many rocks.
I would, sure wouldn't hurt.

I've been reading up on protein skimmers and read everything from "you don't need one for a 29 g tank" to "YOU NEED A PROTEIN SKIMMER FOR A REEF TANK."
Welcome to reef keeping, where there is only one way to do things based on who you ask, and they all do it differently.

Knighthawk
02/16/2017, 01:30 PM
As far as ordering fish online I would stick to ORA fish/divers den stuff. Liveaquaria has a lot of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk