PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep Blue Assessor?

CoralsAddiction
02/15/2017, 12:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone here can share pics, video and experience? I've had a yellow one before. I'm familiar with their behavior as well as unorthodox swimming habits. Just mostly hoping to see what they look like in a reef tank. Thanks.

OLDREEFER44
02/15/2017, 01:32 PM
Have had them in the past. My experience was that they spent most of their time hiding. IMO not worth the investment

ThRoewer
02/15/2017, 02:46 PM
I have yellow Assessors. The ones in my 100 gallon tank stay in a cave at the back of the tank and hardly ever leave it. I have to look in from the side to see them. Of the trio I added two are still there and hanging out together. Since one regularly disappears for days I'm assuming that they are spawning. They are doing well in their place, but you never see them out.

The trio I have currently in my 20 gallon Novo Abyss is always out. Their only tank mates are a pair of janssi pipefish and a yasha goby.

Based on the above I would suggest to keep them in a tank with non threatening, extremely calm (like Marine Bettas) or smaller fish.
Aggressive or active fish may scare assessors into hiding. Even Gramma are already too aggressive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CoralsAddiction
02/15/2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks. I'd like to add some blue color to my reef. My preference is for a more peaceful fish but I might end up getting a Cherub angel (C. Argi) instead. One of my Cherubs in the past was quite nasty.

mike61289
02/15/2017, 04:58 PM
Cherub angels are known for that. If your tank is small, it will be even more aggressive.

Have you ever seen blue assessors? I myself have only seen them once, but I didn't find them to be the most attractive of fish. Their blue doesn't stand out very much.

What about something more purple instead? Purple firefish and helfrichi firefish both stand out a lot more than the assessor would IMO. They're also easy to keep and will be out in the open if nobody's bothering them. You just have to make sure the tank is covered so that they don't jump out.

Hope this helps!

CoralsAddiction
02/15/2017, 05:15 PM
Cherub angels are known for that. If your tank is small, it will be even more aggressive.

Have you ever seen blue assessors? I myself have only seen them once, but I didn't find them to be the most attractive of fish. Their blue doesn't stand out very much.

What about something more purple instead? Purple firefish and helfrichi firefish both stand out a lot more than the assessor would IMO. They're also easy to keep and will be out in the open if nobody's bothering them. You just have to make sure the tank is covered so that they don't jump out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I haven't seen a blue assessor in person and I had a feeling that it could be a little drab looking. So I was hoping someone could persuade me otherwise. I just donated my fully QT'ed purple firefish to a fish store after owning it for 7 months in my 40 gallon tank. I wanted a fish that swims around a little more. Since I traded the purple firefish my tank has had an explosion of different kinds of pods because I only have a pair of true perculas that stay in their anemone and tend to their eggs. I've also owned a Helfrichi. While it's beautiful it was very shy.

cougareyes
02/15/2017, 07:57 PM
I kept a blue assessor in a BC29 and he was one on my favs, also had a cherub angel with him; he took no gruff.

CoralsAddiction
02/15/2017, 10:09 PM
I kept a blue assessor in a BC29 and he was one on my favs, also had a cherub angel with him; he took no gruff.

Thank you for posting the pic.

A sea K
02/16/2017, 06:51 AM
I kept one along with 2 yellows in a 65. It was a very peaceful system so they were visable at most any time and rarely hid however the yellows and blue kept to separate areas of the tank.
The colors on the yellow are very vibrant but the blue is much more drab IMO, more of a dull slate blue and not a fish I would consider if basing the decision on color.

mike61289
02/16/2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks. I haven't seen a blue assessor in person and I had a feeling that it could be a little drab looking. So I was hoping someone could persuade me otherwise. I just donated my fully QT'ed purple firefish to a fish store after owning it for 7 months in my 40 gallon tank. I wanted a fish that swims around a little more. Since I traded the purple firefish my tank has had an explosion of different kinds of pods because I only have a pair of true perculas that stay in their anemone and tend to their eggs. I've also owned a Helfrichi. While it's beautiful it was very shy.

Interesting. I never had those experiences with the purple or helfrichi firefish. They were always out.

Another suggestion then (if you're turned off of the blue assessor) is the blue gudgeon dartfish. I've only ever seen them in aquariums with poor lighting so they didn't stand out much, but they were out and about.

I'm not sure what else to recommend. By all means though, go for the blue assessor and share your thoughts and experiences :)

Mike Ordner
02/16/2017, 11:52 AM
How about a black capped basslet? They are more purpleish than blue. I do not have one now but when I did he was out quite a bit after he got comfortable in the tank. He was shy for about the first 6 weeks, though.

CoralsAddiction
02/16/2017, 11:55 AM
Firefishes are colorful and active. I like them. I just want angel/wrasse type of movement in my tank as opposed to a fish hanging out in one area. Options run dry quickly in a 40 unfortunately.
Here's a vid of one of my previous tanks with a yellow assessor
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7EUPlKNgfR4?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

And here's the Helfrichi I had.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_pWETR5cv4M?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

mike61289
02/16/2017, 12:03 PM
Ah! Now I understand. Unfortunately I can't think of anything that won't outgrow or simply be mean in a tank that size.

ThRoewer
02/16/2017, 03:02 PM
If there is nothing else but the percula in the tank and you don't plan on adding more fish later, I would give a pair of sixlines or their close relatives a shot. Yes, they can be real frakkers, but they are colorful and have interesting personalities.

And if blue is the color you want you might want to have a look at some of the Damselfish. Only a hippo or a powder blue tang would have a more vibrant blue.

CoralsAddiction
02/16/2017, 03:39 PM
If there is nothing else but the percula in the tank and you don't plan on adding more fish later, I would give a pair of sixlines or their close relatives a shot. Yes, they can be real frakkers, but they are colorful and have interesting personalities.

And if blue is the color you want you might want to have a look at some of the Damselfish. Only a hippo or a powder blue tang would have a more vibrant blue.

I've been considering a sixline wrasse or a even pair of Springeri damsels for a Solomon Islands theme with my SI/PNG true percs

CoralsAddiction
02/16/2017, 03:43 PM
I have all kinds of critters taking over my tank. I need something to control it.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/random/1716CA0B-1950-48AB-ACE2-5CC4DECC4EFB_zpsxwc5oepj.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/random/1716CA0B-1950-48AB-ACE2-5CC4DECC4EFB_zpsxwc5oepj.jpg.html)

neverfox
02/16/2017, 05:27 PM
I have a yellow and it was always out for the past eight months, for most of the day in fact. I say "was" because for the past week, we haven't seen him, which was preceded by seeing him less and less. I don't know yet if that means he's in trouble (or even dead) or if it's just a natural behavior change. Hopefully, he pops up soon, because I worry he's not getting food.

cougareyes
02/16/2017, 09:32 PM
If you are looking for critter eater, a good alternative to a sixline is a pink streaked wrasse. A nice active peaceful fish that was my favorite when I kept small tanks.

CoralsAddiction
02/16/2017, 10:38 PM
If you are looking for critter eater, a good alternative to a sixline is a pink streaked wrasse. A nice active peaceful fish that was my favorite when I kept small tanks.

It's a cool little fish.

CoralsAddiction
02/16/2017, 10:43 PM
I just went to Petco to get heater suction cups and saw they had a pair of yellow clown gobies. They were occupying the same rock in a 3ft tank. One is significantly larger than the other. I ended up buying them. They're in QT now. Hopefully they bond and start spawning eventually.
I hope more people can chime in and share pictures or videos of wild caught Blue Assessors. I'm still interested in them.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/gobies/7A781D02-B890-4E4B-B7A4-FDDEAF891580_zpsyqoeyu88.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/gobies/7A781D02-B890-4E4B-B7A4-FDDEAF891580_zpsyqoeyu88.jpg.html)

ThRoewer
02/17/2017, 02:27 AM
I just went to Petco to get heater suction cups and saw they had a pair of yellow clown gobies. They were occupying the same rock in a 3ft tank. One is significantly larger than the other. I ended up buying them. They're in QT now. Hopefully they bond and start spawning eventually.
I hope more people can chime in and share pictures or videos of wild caught Blue Assessors. I'm still interested in them.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/gobies/7A781D02-B890-4E4B-B7A4-FDDEAF891580_zpsyqoeyu88.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/gobies/7A781D02-B890-4E4B-B7A4-FDDEAF891580_zpsyqoeyu88.jpg.html)
With gobies you usually get a pair by just putting two together. They can charge sex both ways.

cougareyes
02/17/2017, 09:36 PM
The blue assessor I had was an ORA captive bred years ago, sorry I can't find more pics of that tank, I had to update my computer hard drive and can't find where I put them.

He was a very vivid blue most of the time, more dusky midnight blue when he was moody occasionally. Lighting also makes a big difference, he was thick and healthy. I gave him to a girl that really wanted a niger trigger, but couldn't have one in her tank. She was thrilled how awesome blue he was.

CoralsAddiction
02/18/2017, 12:31 AM
The blue assessor I had was an ORA captive bred years ago, sorry I can't find more pics of that tank, I had to update my computer hard drive and can't find where I put them.

He was a very vivid blue most of the time, more dusky midnight blue when he was moody occasionally. Lighting also makes a big difference, he was thick and healthy. I gave him to a girl that really wanted a niger trigger, but couldn't have one in her tank. She was thrilled how awesome blue he was.

I might go for it still. I found this pic on the web...it looks pretty dark actually.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/FTS3.jpg
not sure why it isn't showing here

CoralsAddiction
02/18/2017, 12:32 AM
With gobies you usually get a pair by just putting two together. They can charge sex both ways.

These two don't seem to bother each other so far in a small QT.

CoralsAddiction
02/21/2017, 10:13 PM
Went back to basics today and added a blue green chromis that was QT'd. I wanted a pair or a trio but after seeing them kill each other off last time I kept chromis I decided to go with a single.
Tempted to get a pair of small Royal Grammas....

fishguy2501
02/23/2017, 09:25 AM
Maybe a pair of neon gobies or a blue spot jawfish? or even 3-4 chalk basslets. they have nice blue colors, a single springeri or splendid dottyback would be nice. All of those i listed were very active in my experiences.

microlady
02/23/2017, 12:06 PM

You read my mind. I love mine! He's in a 35 gallon cube and ignores everyone. He's a cute little guy too.

fearyaks
02/23/2017, 12:22 PM
Hey man.. so there are three commonly found Assessors in the trade. The Yellows, the Blues and the Randall's. I've kept Randall's and Yellows and only once seen a blue in a store.

The Yellows are more easily obtainable (as you had one). They are pretty cool little dudes and mine are often out and hanging out on one side of the tank (powerhead side). Not sure why but I've tried keeping pairs but they ended up fighting (luckily I have two tanks).

I had Randalls which were totally cool but the problem is that their body was kind of greyish with the blue fins and my back wall is painted black... terribly difficult to actually see.

The Blue's can get pretty large.. they tend to be a tad more aggressive (but this is all just hearsay). Unique had a really large one in their round tank and it was awesome but I've never seen one in a store for sale... the guys at Unique ordered me some Yellows and the Randall's but they couldn't get a blue one for me.

Have you thought about one of the nicer dottybacks? Can't remember which one of the purples is nicer but they can be cool little fish. Definitely more active than your firefish was but unsure as to if it'll work on your copepod population.

You still in my neck of the woods ? If so, let me know if you ever have any fish you want to move on from. I've got two tanks going.

CoralsAddiction
02/23/2017, 12:33 PM
The Blue's can get pretty large.. they tend to be a tad more aggressive (but this is all just hearsay). Unique had a really large one in their round tank and it was awesome but I've never seen one in a store for sale... the guys at Unique ordered me some Yellows and the Randall's but they couldn't get a blue one for me.

Have you thought about one of the nicer dottybacks? Can't remember which one of the purples is nicer but they can be cool little fish. Definitely more active than your firefish was but unsure as to if it'll work on your copepod population.

Bigger and more aggressive is probably what I need. My breeding pair of clowns are the biggest jerks in the world. They have claimed the entire 40 gallon tank. The poor green chromis is getting beat up no matter where it goes. I think Orchid (Fridmani) dottybacks have a friendlier reputation but I might have to go with a Strawberry dottyback just so it won't get bullied by the clowns. The chromis took care of the pods already.
Hope all is well with you :)

fishguy2501
02/23/2017, 12:41 PM
For a schooling group what about the chalk bass? Have you thought about the springeri or splendid dottybacks?

fishguy2501
02/23/2017, 12:42 PM
Blue spot jawfish would also be a cool addition

fearyaks
02/23/2017, 07:14 PM
BTW I have some chalks. They're great little fish but they hardly school. More like they case out an area and claim it for themselves.

CoralsAddiction
02/23/2017, 07:29 PM
Picked up two Cherub (Argi) angels. Hopefully they pair up.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/random/B31225E9-2C70-45C8-9CFC-4BF25288D8FB_zpstfmzyx0i.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/random/B31225E9-2C70-45C8-9CFC-4BF25288D8FB_zpstfmzyx0i.jpg.html)

CoralsAddiction
02/23/2017, 07:30 PM
Blue spot jawfish would also be a cool addition

I really like their colors. Unfortunately my sandbed isn't deep enough for them.

CoralsAddiction
02/23/2017, 07:43 PM
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kGoJEYsdpMs?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

CoralsAddiction
02/24/2017, 11:46 AM
These two have been hanging out together

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/random/8803C61D-6BB3-4ABF-82B3-E0D46BC9A511_zpsfaiee52o.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/random/8803C61D-6BB3-4ABF-82B3-E0D46BC9A511_zpsfaiee52o.jpg.html)

OrionN
02/24/2017, 08:06 PM
Consider a pair of these. Out all the time, not aggressive and will breed in your tank. You will never see brighter blue or yellow.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/93/8b/dc938b0fb18b6c59d4c9037ab09a69d6.jpg

CoralsAddiction
02/25/2017, 12:16 PM
My clowns don't like damsels very much but Azure damsels are very nice.
I returned one of the Pygmy angels due to fighting and got a Diadem dottyback instead.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/CoralsAddiction/gobies/108D07AB-374B-4EDF-9127-0641E421C962_zpsj5gcusum.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/CoralsAddiction/media/gobies/108D07AB-374B-4EDF-9127-0641E421C962_zpsj5gcusum.jpg.html)

OrionN
02/25/2017, 02:13 PM
That is one nasty dottyback. You likely will return him in the future.

CoralsAddiction
02/25/2017, 02:33 PM
That is one nasty dottyback. You likely will return him in the future.

I think @Clorox kept one for 2 years in his 50 cube. It's my last addition so hopefully it won't be a big problem. I am mostly concerned about my pair of peppermint shrimps that I've had for 7 months now. I heard some dottybacks can eat them. The peppermints are large in size.

jocatman
02/25/2017, 08:27 PM
I have a Randall's Assessor in 20 Gallon with 2 Snow Onyx clowns, Helfrichi firefish, yellow clown goby, white lined pygmy wrasse, and 3 green chromis.

I call him Shady McGrady, as he is basically a shadow under blue LEDS Under day lights, he has a nice blue tint, but nothing flashy. By far the chromis add more color and flash, if that is what you are looking for.

His safe spot is under a ledge at front left of tank. He hangs with clowns and firefish front and center with no issues. They all get along great. He likes low light, so will often hang under his ledge during the day...often upside down. But comes out for food and is always out with night lights. Was about an inch when I got him...now about 2 inches and getting chubby.

I started with a Yellow assessor a year ago, and he'd hide in cave at night, but was out front and center most of the day. Both are a little skittish, but not too bad. Unfortunately, the yellow got an infection around his tail and didn't make it. I think a bristle worm got him while sleeping one night and I was slow to identify the issue.

In short, I like assessor behavior...peaceful and perfect size for a nano like mine. Interesting swimmers...kinda bounce around, often in vertical position.

My Yellow assessor, Vito (love those white cheeks) owns the rock and corals, he's literally the Don of the reef. The wrasse continuously swims around tank picking on pests...beautiful colors and elegant wrasse movement. And the chromis keep to the top water column...the clowns make sure of that.

Other than clowns vs chromis, which is mild. it is a very well behaved community of fish.

Pictures from my security camera posted. Can see most fish except Shady...he wasn't out.

Cheers.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

jocatman
02/25/2017, 08:55 PM
Sorry, yellow clown goby is Vito. Just grabbed this shot of Shady...flash in eyes, but you can see his blue color as it looks most of the time.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/9cef1b4f82fbf25f07683f79fb627e91.jpg

jocatman
02/25/2017, 09:02 PM
As for blackcap basslet, colors are awesome and much brighter than assessor, but also bigger and meaner. Did not work out well in my tank, so he's gone.

jocatman
02/26/2017, 01:38 PM
Better pictures of Shady and friendshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/da2e66d9774a14a1e0f1afc073b96bc9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/7c7ca46e125c7a42170c0d5d28f6ba38.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/79c26ba27ac7cceb6055d652abf7e479.jpg

CoralsAddiction
02/26/2017, 03:14 PM
Shady's good looking fish. ^^^

CoralsAddiction
08/02/2017, 07:46 PM
I picked up a wild caught blue assessor just now. Hopefully it does well in QT.

ThRoewer
08/04/2017, 08:21 PM
AC had a few wild "blue" Assessors recently. Looked to me like A. macneilli.

CoralsAddiction
08/04/2017, 09:07 PM
Looked to me like A. macneilli.

The one I got came from QM as Macnelli on order sheet. Anyway, I returned it because it wasn't eating and was extremely shy.

neoalchemist74
06/07/2018, 10:09 AM
Better pictures of Shady and friendshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/da2e66d9774a14a1e0f1afc073b96bc9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/7c7ca46e125c7a42170c0d5d28f6ba38.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/79c26ba27ac7cceb6055d652abf7e479.jpg

Thats one nice looking tank. love to see it now.

jocatman
06/07/2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks... I appreciate the appreciation. [emoji16]

Unfortunately, I lost Shadey to hurricane Irma in September, when my tank was without power for about 24 hrs. I had to evacuate, but was lucky to get back soon enough to get generator running and save most of the rest of the livestock.

Then I had an ich outbreak this past winter, and had some coral die off, so when I tore the tank apart to capture and move my fish to quarantine, I took the opportunity to re-landscape the rocks and added a whole bunch of zoas. Some corals also outgrew the tank, so they were sold to LFS.

I've since added a yellow assessor to replace the Randalls, as well as a coral beauty, red Mandarin, and mystery wrasse to replace several other fish lost to Irma/ich.

So here's the latest...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/2a8e28360aa7a9364d36b71edd8f38c6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/77508b44c1f39c0b0aec7aba0530363d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jocatman
06/07/2018, 11:05 AM
Seems images don't show on mobile site or app, but do on website. Apologize for the quality... They are phone screen shots of my security camera feed, so not. [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk