PDA

View Full Version : XL sump or not?

Blackdog2
02/15/2017, 07:23 PM
So long time reefer and a long time reader of RC. I dont post much but have been a member since about 05. Im in the process of starting a new tank am looking for input on sump size and the advantages of having large sump volume.

My new tank is a 54g corner. Ya, i know but its what i have room for in our relatively new home. Its not RR so ill be drilling and using an eclipse by eshopps. I could run lines to the basement and do dual 55g tanks as a sump. One higher than the other so the first one ( higher) would drain into the lower one. Or do a 10g under the tank which would accomidate my heaters, return pump and hob remora skimmer just fine.

Im aware of the stabilizing affect of more water volume, and i know the extra space would work to my advantage should i decide to add equipment down the road but will it aid in algae reduction in the DT?

Its obviously more expensive and more work to do the larger basement sumps so is the 10g adiquate or will the dual 55's make a huge difference and why

Thanks

AlSimmons
02/15/2017, 07:39 PM
As long as the tank doesn't overflow during a power outage then the 10 gallon sump should be fine IMO. You'll just have to experiment with the depth of the return line in the DT. Forget the baffles or a refugium and just get the best skimmer you can fit down there. There might be more micro bubbles than you would like in the DT due to the smaller sump, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ryeguyy84
02/16/2017, 01:11 PM
I used a 10G sump on my 60G cube for 4 years with no issues. it had only one baffle for the return pump so I could run an ATO. but like AlSimmons said you have to be careful on the height of the baffles. When I turned off my pumps the level went right up to the bottom of the trim, not much room for error.