PDA

View Full Version : Need filtration advice!

The Reef Addict
02/16/2017, 04:06 PM
Hello,

Its been a while since I've posted on here, and I was hoping to get some advice! I have a 75g DT with a 20 long sump. My filtration is powered via siphon to the sump, and pumps back up to the DT. This is where my issue starts...

I just recently moved, and lately we've been having a lot of heavy snow here in New England. I've had to deal with 3 different power outages in the last week (which is more than my last couple places within the last 5 years combined!!) that are causing all sorts of chaos. Luckily my tank has been perfectly fine, but Im not ok with it in the least bit. Ive already ordered a generator to run only the absolute necessary equipment I need, so I'll be covered while I'm home and able to deal with an outage. So now for my real issue:

When I am not home and I have an outage (and the power turns back on later), my sump loses its siphon, it can't get it back until I come home and manually reset it.. Which was the nice surprise I came home to today! This also means my pumps are running "dry" and no water from DT is being skimmed or heated, kind of a big deal.

Anyways, I am sorry for the rant but Im hoping I can get some advice, or approval for my solution, which is:

I ran a tube from the suction side of my skimmers pump into the intake line (which is a much larger tube) from the DT. Everything seems to be working well, but I wasnt sure if I might be damaging my skimmers pump by doing this. I did notice I had to slightly open my check valve to the sump a bit more, any thoughts!?

mcgyvr
02/16/2017, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand what your "filtration" is and how its actually plumbed..
Got a pic or diagram or something?

Is the skimmer on the "intake line" which is the "return" from your sump right?

Whats the check valve about too?

reeftivo
02/16/2017, 06:05 PM
toms aquatic lifter pump
https://petoverstock.com/tom-aquatics-aqua-lifter-pump-aw-20.html?utm_source=Google+Products&utm_campaign=Google+Products+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&gclid=CIjZsdfqldICFYJpfgodaWYBWg

The Reef Addict
02/17/2017, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure I understand what your "filtration" is and how its actually plumbed..
Got a pic or diagram or something?

Is the skimmer on the "intake line" which is the "return" from your sump right?

Whats the check valve about too?

Sorry if I came off the wrong way.

My "filtration" is all within my sump, fuge, skimmer, sponge filters, etc. It is plumbed by a pvc/hose setup (like most are), but my intake line to the sump (drain from DT) is siphon activated.. This runs through the different sections of my sump until the filtered water is pumped back up into the DT.

A power outage causes me to lose my siphon, which means when power goes back on my DT cant drain any water for filtration, heat, etc. And I'm running my pumps "dry" because they arent getting enough water to pump back up to the DT.

I "solved" this by running a hose from the pump side of my skimmer up into my DT's drain line (the siphon I was referring to), so when I get power after an outafe the skimmers pump draws air in the drain line and restarts the siphon.

Its definitely effective, I just dont want to damage my skimmers pump in any way. It seems to be getting enough flow, but I wanted some second opinions/sugestions.

I think the check valve is really a ball valve, it allows me to adjust flow going into/from my sump.

mcgyvr
02/17/2017, 09:23 AM
So why are you losing siphon in your overflow?
Is it a ghetto/pvc hang on/u-tube type setup or something?

A proper overflow box done correctly should NOT lose siphon ever..
Don't work around the problem.. Fix that..

The Reef Addict
02/17/2017, 02:12 PM
So why are you losing siphon in your overflow?
Is it a ghetto/pvc hang on/u-tube type setup or something?

A proper overflow box done correctly should NOT lose siphon ever..
Don't work around the problem.. Fix that..

Well, maybe thats my issue then. I dont have an overflow box.. Im assuming thats something I can add on to my sump then?

Would an overflow box ensure I dont lose siphon even after a power outage? Sorry, Im just totally unfimaliar with that.. Gonna do some research

bblumberg
02/17/2017, 03:35 PM
Well, maybe thats my issue then. I dont have an overflow box.. Im assuming thats something I can add on to my sump then?

Would an overflow box ensure I dont lose siphon even after a power outage? Sorry, Im just totally unfimaliar with that.. Gonna do some research

Siphon boxes are a potential point of failure so it is risky to rely on re-establishing a siphon after a power outage. The Aqualifter will certainly work, when it works but can fail. Having created more than a few accidental floods with tanks using siphon or Durso intakes, I have learned my lesson!

If you are committed to an overflow similar to what you already have, then perhaps get your hands on an overflow like this type
http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
which supposedly don't ever lose siphon (but I don't have personal experience). I have Lifereef equipment (sump and skimmer) and love the quality.

The safer, albeit more complicated way would be to drill the tank for a Bean Animal or Herbie style overflow because these are self-restarting and you are protected from overflows if the main siphon clogs....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585

The Reef Addict
02/18/2017, 05:56 AM
Siphon boxes are a potential point of failure so it is risky to rely on re-establishing a siphon after a power outage. The Aqualifter will certainly work, when it works but can fail. Having created more than a few accidental floods with tanks using siphon or Durso intakes, I have learned my lesson!

If you are committed to an overflow similar to what you already have, then perhaps get your hands on an overflow like this type
http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
which supposedly don't ever lose siphon (but I don't have personal experience). I have Lifereef equipment (sump and skimmer) and love the quality.

The safer, albeit more complicated way would be to drill the tank for a Bean Animal or Herbie style overflow because these are self-restarting and you are protected from overflows if the main siphon clogs....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585

Wow, that's a great thread! Think most of the info is in the first page.. Thats something I will have to look into!

Thanks!