PDA

View Full Version : 60 gallon cube stocking plans.

fermentedhiker
02/16/2017, 08:09 PM
So I'm mulling(well more than that as I'll probably order the tank tomorrow) over capping my kitchen peninsula with a 60 gallon cube.

The idea is minimalist live rock with multiple arches and overhangs.

It will have coral but just random softies and LPS(so not a focus)

I'm trying to whittle down the stock list. Care to help me out?

Fish that interest me;

Fu manchu lionfish
fuzzy lionfish
hawaiian lionfish
mombassa lionfish
leaf fish

I'm pretty sure that's more bioload than is practical. Since I'm planning on having a chiller(woodstove in the same room) that limits the size of my sump especially when I squeeze in an ATO.

I'm leaning toward a fu, a fuzzy and a leaf fish as my first choices. Room for another or is that already too much?

Bobbitworm13
02/17/2017, 06:02 PM
I'd go fuzzy and Hawaiian but that's jmo

JUNBUG361
02/18/2017, 12:47 PM
Lion fish not much of reef safe

JUNBUG361
02/18/2017, 12:50 PM
IMO having 2 lions in a 60 is to much

fermentedhiker
02/18/2017, 07:28 PM
Lion fish not much of reef safe

lionfish are perfectly reef safe. They are however stock limiters in that they limit what else you can keep.

fermentedhiker
02/18/2017, 07:29 PM
I'd go fuzzy and Hawaiian but that's jmo

Are you saying that's all you would keep or just that those would be top on your list?

fermentedhiker
02/18/2017, 07:41 PM
Was trying to think of some alternative tankmates for variety if I had to limit the number of scorps because of messiness. I thought about a tomini tang but looks like they could use a little more room. Atlantic longnose butterfly would be ok, but at 4" adult size might be on the menu for full grown dwarf(of some species).

Other suggestions are welcome.

JUNBUG361
02/18/2017, 09:32 PM
Check what else the lion fish is compatible with as a tank mate

Bobbitworm13
02/19/2017, 10:21 AM
Yes I would just do a Hawaiian and/or fuzzy dwarf. 60 gallons may seem like a lot but it is really only 4 square feet of space. I definitely wouldn't do more than 2. If you don't already have the tank, get a 40b. They would have more room to get away from each other

fermentedhiker
02/19/2017, 08:35 PM
Yes I would just do a Hawaiian and/or fuzzy dwarf. 60 gallons may seem like a lot but it is really only 4 square feet of space. I definitely wouldn't do more than 2. If you don't already have the tank, get a 40b. They would have more room to get away from each other

Thanks for the reply. A 40B eh? That's a 15% increase in surface area for a 33% decrease in volume. I'm not sure that balances out. I was estimating three because lionfish lair indicated that a M-F-F Hawaiian trio would work in a 60. So bioload wise I should be OK with three. Aggression is another matter of course, but I always understood lions to be pretty chill about anything not the same species.

A 40B would certainly be cheaper. Although lighting costs would more than make up for that savings :( My limitation is with making it match into standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. If I could manage 36" depth as well as length I would go for a 93 gallon cube but that would stick out too far and not leave any room for any cabling that would have to run outside the tank.

I could probably pull off a 30x24x24 but that is extra cost for not a ton of extra volume and surface area.