PDA

View Full Version : Favites 1, Toadstool 0

sdbc
02/16/2017, 10:34 PM
I bought a small 1" Favites frag a couple of weeks ago. I had the perfect spot for it, about 2" away from a 8" Sarcophyton I've had for years. I was worried the Favites might suffer from some toxins of the leather, but it was upstream so I figured it was worth a shot.

The day after I added the Favites, the Toadstool closed up. Just shedding, I thought. A week and a half later, no change, and the Toadstool was now 3-4" away from the Favites. So last night I moved the frag to another location. Tonight the Toadstool is sloughing off and the polyps are popping out. Coincidence, maybe, but I'll keep it in mind when placing corals in the future.

jayball
02/17/2017, 07:59 AM
I bought a small 1" Favites frag a couple of weeks ago. I had the perfect spot for it, about 2" away from a 8" Sarcophyton I've had for years. I was worried the Favites might suffer from some toxins of the leather, but it was upstream so I figured it was worth a shot.

The day after I added the Favites, the Toadstool closed up. Just shedding, I thought. A week and a half later, no change, and the Toadstool was now 3-4" away from the Favites. So last night I moved the frag to another location. Tonight the Toadstool is sloughing off and the polyps are popping out. Coincidence, maybe, but I'll keep it in mind when placing corals in the future.

Very possible the favities was "reaching out to touch" the other coral in the middle of the night. Likely just sweepers because if it was mesenterial filaments you would have noticed damage.

hartin461
02/17/2017, 08:16 AM
Had a favite next to a duncan. Both were growing fast and the favite got close enough to sting the duncan. Lost 3 heads on the duncan and had to move it.