PDA

View Full Version : How many inches clearance above the Photon V2 is required?

Mordir
02/17/2017, 03:47 PM
I am beginning some of the planning for a return to the hobby several months from now. What is the clearance/venting requirement above the light fixture? I want to be sure the canopy that gets built has the right setup for these lights.

8' 240 gallon tank where I am planning on 2 x 48 Photon v2.

Reefer40b
02/17/2017, 09:17 PM
I would say a couple inches is fine, just don't seal up the top too much as they do need some ventilation, maybe add some intake fans to the canopy. Pic would be helpful also with making my recommendation.

My fans have never kicked on but my max intensity is only 55% right now which is probably plenty for my tank design although have never put a par meter to it. With your tank size you will probably be up in the 80% and due just fine there so you may see those fans turn...

Ron Reefman
02/18/2017, 03:09 AM
You can mount the light directly to the top of the canopy if you don't mind drilling big holes directly above the fans in the fixture. I know people who did that with the old Photons and they seem to be working just fine. And who sees the top of the canopy?

Mordir
02/18/2017, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the responses.

Reef_Breeders
03/02/2017, 06:17 PM
I would recommend at least 2-3"- the light case is a heat sink so the more air space you have the faster it can cool. The fans rarely come on so long as you have some air space.

reefteaser
03/06/2017, 08:04 AM
I cut my canopy so that the fixture is flush with the top. Looks great, runs cool, and I've never seen or heard the fans.

Reef_Breeders
03/07/2017, 11:16 AM
Looks good! As long as the heatsink is exposed to the air there shouldn't be any issues with cooling.