PDA

View Full Version : mitras lx7 control and mounting questions

dleute
02/18/2017, 08:19 PM
Mitras lx7 control appears to be done via a windows application. It supposedly has other options, but I can't find info about them. iOS app, web based, etc.

Is it possible to setup and control this light without any windows system?

It is unclear to me how the flex mount system would work. It looks like the height controlling knobs would be inside my cabinet. Do I misunderstand this mount? (This is not an option for me).

Any other feedback about this light is welcome!

More Info:

If I hadn't already bought my Apex, I would have considered a profilux just to integrate this light. That is no longer an option. (again, assuming it can be managed without windows)

I'm not interested in having a throw away laptop or vm with windows. I will not have windows on my network. I work in technology, I'm being stubborn and ruling this out. Please don't suggest this. ;)

The mitras is easily the most interesting light I have found on the market. I like reflectors over lenses, lots of channels, power balancing, spread, design. Etc.

Thanks!

cpllongjk
02/18/2017, 08:28 PM
Mitras lx7 control appears to be done via a windows application. It supposedly has other options, but I can't find info about them. iOS app, web based, etc.

Is it possible to setup and control this light without any windows system?

It is unclear to me how the flex mount system would work. It looks like the height controlling knobs would be inside my cabinet. Do I misunderstand this mount? (This is not an option for me).

Any other feedback about this light is welcome!

More Info:

If I hadn't already bought my Apex, I would have considered a profilux just to integrate this light. That is no longer an option. (again, assuming it can be managed without windows)

I'm not interested in having a throw away laptop or vm with windows. I will not have windows on my network. I work in technology, I'm being stubborn and ruling this out. Please don't suggest this. ;)

The mitras is easily the most interesting light I have found on the market. I like reflectors over lenses, lots of channels, power balancing, spread, design. Etc.

Thanks!

I agree.

I used the GHL Control Center program to setup my lights but I believe you can set up the lights using the touchpad on the lights themselves.

One thing I really like about the Mitras is how easy it is to go into a "maintenance mode" to take photos of you tank. You just set up the maintenance mode settings and can use the touch pad on the light whenever you like to go into that mode for viewing anytime.

The thing that sold the Mitras for me was their spread of clusters vs other brands and the fact that there were 9 different channels of customization.

So many channels has its ups and downs. Coming from T5 and MH it definitely has a learning curve and isn't plug and play like T5 or MH is.

dleute
02/18/2017, 08:41 PM
I agree.

I used the GHL Control Center program to setup my lights but I believe you can set up the lights using the touchpad on the lights themselves.

One thing I really like about the Mitras is how easy it is to go into a "maintenance mode" to take photos of you tank. You just set up the maintenance mode settings and can use the touch pad on the light whenever you like to go into that mode for viewing anytime.

The thing that sold the Mitras for me was their spread of clusters vs other brands and the fact that there were 9 different channels of customization.

So many channels has its ups and downs. Coming from T5 and MH it definitely has a learning curve and isn't plug and play like T5 or MH is.

I'm not too concerned about all the channels. Though, T5's are looking really good from a just "get it done" perspective.

Honestly, the only light that is "easy" for me is the radion. My tank (93 gallon cube) has a rim that is too big for nearly every mounting system (except RMS).

The aquatic life halo mounts also work (in theory). I'm thinking about buying one of these just to limp along until I figure out a real solution.

And I haven't found a cabinet mount that will work well. I didn't want to hang in my location. I was going to figure out hanging for these fixtures, but the other obstacles are adding up. While radion would be an on tank solution controlled by apex. Really easy for me.

*sigh* Lighting is the hardest thing I've had to select about my tank.

foxrazr
02/18/2017, 09:54 PM
I also had the same problem with Mitras. I really liked the light but its mounting solutions weren't for me. So I found a way to mount them on the rim like RMS.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2624855

dleute
02/18/2017, 09:57 PM
I also had the same problem with Mitras. I really liked the light but its mounting solutions weren't for me. So I found a way to mount them on the rim like RMS.

I love it. Already asked on the thread how I can make one. :)

If I can eliminate some of these barriers, I think the mitras would be the right light for me.

slief
02/18/2017, 10:12 PM
Initial setup is easiest using the PC method plus the PC also allows you to update the firmware. Being in the computer manufacturing industry and IT for the last 30 years, I'd just pony up and buy a cheap Windows based laptop. You can get one for a low as $200 or even lower if you look hard enough. You don't need anything powerful. The Mitras have built in wifi so once you get them connected to the network using GCC, you can also connect them to myghl cloud service and control them from any device but there are advantages currently to using GCC. The Windows based GCC offers advantages such as creating, saving and importing lighting projects. MyGHL cloud just lets you set and save the intensity of the channels. GCC allows you to set the spectrum based on Kelvin which is a nice feature since you can use that in your project creation. Best of all is that once you have the Wifi setup, there is no need to connect via the included USB cable GCC is really a nice interface and is packed with other features as well.

Flex mount mounts through the back of your stand and allows you to raise and lower the light via two large thumb tightened nuts under the tank. You can also move the fixture forward and back on the arm. The Flex mount only allows for the light to be mounted front to back instead of length wise but it's still a really nice mount. An alternate for mounts if you have a tall canopy or light rack is this option (http://aquariumledmounts.com/products/ghl-mitras-articulating-mount-for-lx6-lx7-series-leds) which is designed for canopy and light rack mounting which is what I am using on my light rack. It allows full articulation of the light so you can aim it where you need the light most. For multiple fixtures, it's really helpful in eliminating shadowing while reducing light spilling onto the viewing panes.

I have 6 Mitras over my display and another over my frag tank and really love them. I'm still in the process of transitioning my main display from the Kessils and have both lights over the tank right now. The Mitras bring out coloration of the corals in my mixed reef like I've never seen before and I absoltely love these lights. Having had Radions as well as other LED's, these are one of my favorites.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4458_zpsj8a5qv8a.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4446_zpsmkwvnazi.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4449_zps5vnjktze.jpg

d2mini
02/18/2017, 10:31 PM
Ditto everything slief said ^^^

I'm a Mac purist myself, but the Mitras is worth spending a Benji on a windows netbook/tablet, emulation software or windows 10 on bootcamp.

dleute
02/18/2017, 10:31 PM
Initial setup is easiest using the PC method. Being in the computer manufacturing industry and IT for the last 30 years, I'd just pony up and buy a cheap laptop. You can get one for a low as $200. The Mitras have built in wifi so once you get them connected to the network using GCC, you can also connect them to myghl cloud service and control them from any device but there are advantages currently to using GCC. The Windows based GCC offers advantages such as creating, saving and importing lighting projects. MyGHL cloud just lets you set and save the intensity of the channels. GCC allows you to set the spectrum based on Kelvin which is a nice feature since you can use that in your project creation. Best of all is that once you have the Wifi setup, there is no need to connect via the included USB cable GCC is really a nice interface and is packed with other features as well.

Flex mount mounts through the back of your stand and allows you to raise and lower the light via two large thumb tightened nuts under the tank. You can also move the fixture forward and back on the arm. The Flex mount only allows for the light to be mounted front to back instead of length wise but it's still a really nice mount. An alternate for mounts if you have a tall canopy or light rack is this option (http://aquariumledmounts.com/products/ghl-mitras-articulating-mount-for-lx6-lx7-series-leds) which is designed for canopy and light rack mounting which is what I am using on my light rack. It allows full articulation of the light so you can aim it where you need the light most. For multiple fixtures, it's really helpful in eliminating shadowing while reducing light spilling onto the viewing panes.

I have 6 Mitras over my display and another over my frag tank and really love them. I'm still in the process of transitioning my main display from the Kessils and have both lights over the tank right now. The Mitras bring out coloration of the corals in my mixed reef like I've never seen before and I absoltely love these lights.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4458_zpsj8a5qv8a.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4446_zpsmkwvnazi.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/GHL%20Mitra/IMG_4449_zps5vnjktze.jpg

Slief,

I was hoping you would respond. I've been reading your messages on various lighting for the last few days. You had me almost convinced to go kessil until I saw your mitras thread.

I have the capability to run a VM for windows. I don't want to for a variety of security reasons (non-trivial and not entirely under my control).

I can not mount anything from the back of my tank. It is up against a brick wall and the cabinet is open back. I could mount to the sides of the cabinet. I would like two mitras eventually, but plan to start with 1 until I have light demanding species (it will be a while).

I am considering building a light rack. However, that's a big task for my DIY skills. Did you use eztube for your rack? How do you make sure you have the spacing for future lighting needs?

The articulating mounts look awesome. A bit overkill for a 93 gallon cube. I like them as a method to mount them on anything.

On a side note, what are you doing with all your kessils that you just replaced?

Thanks!

--Derrek

d2mini
02/18/2017, 10:37 PM
You can get a hanging kit from sunlight supply or something and hang from your ceiling.

https://photos.smugmug.com/OLD-STUFF/Aquariums/25g-Lagoon/n-KZ6wLc/i-4Ff7PWZ/0/O/i-4Ff7PWZ.jpg

dleute
02/18/2017, 10:44 PM
You can get a hanging kit from sunlight supply or something and hang from your ceiling.

https://photos.smugmug.com/OLD-STUFF/Aquariums/25g-Lagoon/n-KZ6wLc/i-4Ff7PWZ/0/O/i-4Ff7PWZ.jpg

Hanging is difficult for my space. It's also not wanted by the wife. On-tank or on-cabinet are really the only options. (especially since there exists a lighting solution that checks all those boxes on paper in the form of a radion). I just feel like the mitras is a better light.

--Derrek

foxrazr
02/18/2017, 10:56 PM
I also feel the same way about the Mitras that it has better specs than the Radion and as of right now the Mitras is a Grant cheaper the the G4Pro model.

dleute
02/18/2017, 11:06 PM
I also feel the same way about the Mitras that it has better specs than the Radion and as of right now the Mitras is a Grant cheaper the the G4Pro model.

Thanks to you, mounting is cheaper too. $200 for mounting hardware to mount a single radion on a rail seems excessive. It's a few sticks of metal and doesn't let you adjust height.

I actually might have an issue with your design. To get the thing centered on the middle of the tank, it would need to be 15"-18" long (depending on mount space) for a 30x30 footprint. But I think I could extend that bracket creatively.

If nothing else, I know I can get the vervve now. ;)

--Derrek

slief
02/19/2017, 01:12 AM
Slief,

I was hoping you would respond. I've been reading your messages on various lighting for the last few days. You had me almost convinced to go kessil until I saw your mitras thread.

I have the capability to run a VM for windows. I don't want to for a variety of security reasons (non-trivial and not entirely under my control).

I can not mount anything from the back of my tank. It is up against a brick wall and the cabinet is open back. I could mount to the sides of the cabinet. I would like two mitras eventually, but plan to start with 1 until I have light demanding species (it will be a while).

I am considering building a light rack. However, that's a big task for my DIY skills. Did you use eztube for your rack? How do you make sure you have the spacing for future lighting needs?

The articulating mounts look awesome. A bit overkill for a 93 gallon cube. I like them as a method to mount them on anything.

On a side note, what are you doing with all your kessils that you just replaced?

Thanks!

--Derrek

I haven't decided what I am going to do with the Kessils at the moment. I am running both during the acclimation period which I am taking my time with. No point in rushing that on a very well established reef.

The Mitras flex light mount setup could easily be mounted to the side of the tank stand but if you're only starting with one, that would be an issue. I did use EZ Tube for my light rack. It's really easy to work with too. I used a chop saw to cut the pieces for the rack which made for nice clean precise cuts. Since it's aluminum and relatively thin material, the stuff cut like butter using the chop saw. The rack build was filmed and covered in an LA Fish Guys episode.

That said, if I were building a rack for your tank, I would just create a long channel down the middle that the lights could slide back and forth in to allow for adjusting them left to right. Use the EZ Tube with the flanges which would act as a shelf for the Mitras and make the opening down the middle the same width or length as the Mitras. Add a center support and some supports several inches from each end of the rack so it's not just a large rectangle that will flex. That or I would have the support down the middle and use the articulating mount to position the lights closer to the end of the tank and angle them inwards which would elminiate shadowing.

That said, if you can't hang anything from the ceiling, how would you suspend the light rack? That is something to think about. Another alternative would be aluminum T Slot extrusion which is much more rigid and bolts together. It's harder to cut but you can order it precut. It's also more expensive compart to the EZ Tube.

This is Part 1 of a several Part episode covering the building of the light rack, The other parts which you can get to from Youtube show removing the halides and installing the new rack and the Reef Tech LED's when I first made the jump to LED's. This part only coveres the building of the rack using the EZ Tube and may help you if you decide to build your own rack.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gjDRBYweMJg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mellotang
02/19/2017, 07:41 AM
Be sure to periodically hook up to light composer and make sure all your Individual LED diodes are working. Especially the Violet!!!

dleute
02/19/2017, 09:09 AM
I haven't decided what I am going to do with the Kessils at the moment. I am running both during the acclimation period which I am taking my time with. No point in rushing that on a very well established reef.

The Mitras flex light mount setup could easily be mounted to the side of the tank stand but if you're only starting with one, that would be an issue. I did use EZ Tube for my light rack. It's really easy to work with too. I used a chop saw to cut the pieces for the rack which made for nice clean precise cuts. Since it's aluminum and relatively thin material, the stuff cut like butter using the chop saw. The rack build was filmed and covered in an LA Fish Guys episode.

That said, if I were building a rack for your tank, I would just create a long channel down the middle that the lights could slide back and forth in to allow for adjusting them left to right. Use the EZ Tube with the flanges which would act as a shelf for the Mitras and make the opening down the middle the same width or length as the Mitras. Add a center support and some supports several inches from each end of the rack so it's not just a large rectangle that will flex. That or I would have the support down the middle and use the articulating mount to position the lights closer to the end of the tank and angle them inwards which would elminiate shadowing.

That said, if you can't hang anything from the ceiling, how would you suspend the light rack? That is something to think about. Another alternative would be aluminum T Slot extrusion which is much more rigid and bolts together. It's harder to cut but you can order it precut. It's also more expensive compart to the EZ Tube.

This is Part 1 of a several Part episode covering the building of the light rack, The other parts which you can get to from Youtube show removing the halides and installing the new rack and the Reef Tech LED's when I first made the jump to LED's. This part only coveres the building of the rack using the EZ Tube and may help you if you decide to build your own rack.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gjDRBYweMJg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is great!

The primary problem with my ceiling is it has decorative moldings (not sure what to call them) spanning the full length of the room across the ceiling making it hard to work around. Originally I wanted to install tracks that would allow me to use the hanging kits and just slide back and forth on the ceiling. There isn't enough space around the moldings. Since I'm not starting with my full light arrangement, anything I install would be temporary and I would need to move the lighting. Unfortunately only dead center over the tank is available without removing moldings. This allows for an on-center hang (potentially a light rack or just a light like a giesemann matrix/aurora) that I could then use to arrange the lights any way I want. But some larger lights that have 4 attach points on the ceiling would be tough to do (four single kessil 360s). Any light with 2 points and a splitter (like giesemann) would work fine if mounted at center.

Also a light rack could be put on a cabinet mount or, if it's small enough, a DIY on tank mount. The point of the light rack for me is to allow complete light placement control without tinkering with the ceiling beyond minimal centered mount points.

I am aware of aluminum T Slot, however, I hadn't considered it for the light rack. I designed several tank stands out of it when planning this project (digitally). It is a really good option for an easy light rack. It didn't make the cut for a stand because of cost. There was no reason to spend significantly more on a t-slot stand over the standard black wood stand.

These are really good ideas. But I think they all need some time. So I think I will have to put a temporary solution on the tank for now (probably a halo for cost reasons, maybe I'll love them and stick with them). Then re-evaluate. I've likely got months maybe a year before any light demanding life is in the tank. I'm taking it slow and focusing on getting all my water parameters and automation right.

--Derrek

dleute
02/20/2017, 08:04 PM
The 80/20 solution is looking really promising. 6 30" t-slot lengths and some connectors gives me everything I need to mount any lights with their own mounting or hanging kits. Two of the lengths will be moved along the frame to create the correct grid for whatever lights I choose.

Only thing I have to do is make sure I have a solid ceiling mount that can handle the weight of lights and t-slot frame.

I believe this will be in my future.

A thread that already has something similar: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203836

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

--Derrek

dangros
07/04/2017, 08:31 AM

Manny, you rock!!! I just ordered 2 of each :)