PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Ecotech Radion LED glare

tc2007
02/19/2017, 08:55 PM
How do you go by blocking the intense light that goes into my eyes while sitting, walking etc.

Right now I am using some paper but that's quite ghetto. :thumbdown

rocsec1
02/19/2017, 09:08 PM
I had that problem with my first tank so my second has a canopy

Annap729
02/20/2017, 04:32 AM
Haha I JUST researched this same problem and am doing the same booger-rigged solution. I think it's called light pollution, but I could be wrong. Either way I suspect we could make a design and someone could 3D print? I've not seen a commercially available solution to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tc2007
02/20/2017, 12:06 PM
@Annap729 Ideally I would like a plastic "boundary" that fits snug on the bottom. Willing to pay $10-15 including shipping for it assuming it is a permanent and a durable solution.

hllywd
02/21/2017, 02:10 PM
An aluminum light shield that extends an inch or so below the light? I don't have Radions, but noticed the issue on some a couple weeks ago. It could be mounted with some double sided tape or maybe Velcro. I've been thinking the same thing for my Kessils since I took them out of my canopy.

Dealseer
02/21/2017, 02:14 PM
I have this issue with my 360WE's. I was starting to think I was the only one since I've never seen this talked about. Following along.

hllywd
02/21/2017, 02:35 PM
I have this issue with my 360WE's. I was starting to think I was the only one since I've never seen this talked about. Following along.

Wasn't a problem till I bought mounting arms and mounted them without a canopy. I don't have time to pursue it right now, but will need a fix in a couple months.

Sk8r
02/21/2017, 03:02 PM
Make a fake canopy of pine and flexible laminate: sits on the rim of the tank, provides shielding but top remains open except for bracing. http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/new-fw-tank-08.jpg This is one on a 50 gallon Oceanic. The top the vase is sitting on is a thin piece of laminate too, because we don't need the open top on that freshwater.

Annap729
02/21/2017, 07:38 PM
Yes, the glare drives me nuts. All you really need is a small 4-6" wide shade on three sides that is about 3" tall to remove the bulk of the light pollution and sight of the glaring LED's. The gen 4 seems worse with the new lenses. Do we have any reefers out there with a 3D printer? I'd pay $30-40 for a solution

hllywd
02/21/2017, 07:46 PM
Yes, the glare drives me nuts. All you really need is a small 4-6" wide shade on three sides that is about 3" tall to remove the bulk of the light pollution and sight of the glaring LED's. The gen 4 seems worse with the new lenses. Do we have any reefers out there with a 3D printer? I'd pay $30-40 for a solution

I think you're overthinking this. A buddy with a sheet metal brake, a small piece of aluminum flashing, some paint to match it up, and a piece of double sided tape and you're into a shade for a couple bucks a piece.

Annap729
02/21/2017, 07:49 PM
Bahahahahahahha does it hold up to heat? Shouldn't it be powder coated? I'm not overthinking it-i have a piece of paper addressing the issue right now. I'm looking for a permanent solution.

hllywd
02/21/2017, 08:05 PM
There isn't that much heat. The items I mention should provide a "permanent" solution. It wouldn't take to much skill for it to look professional. You could powder coat it if your wanted to, but I'd say that's not necessary.

Bagabaga
02/22/2017, 03:27 AM
Colored poster board from the dollar store blocked light from my halide being mounted high up over a shallow tank. Used black to match my fixture and black tape to hold it on.

If not that a canopy is best.

tc2007
02/23/2017, 09:53 AM
I already have a 10" canopy with the Radion mounted on top of the roof outside and the light goes through the hole. I don't have a way to lower the Radion in the hole, if I did I wouldn't need the shade. The RMS stand is about an inch or so short of being usable. I also like the extra height as it helps disperse the light further.

Also like the idea of the posterboard. The $ store has plenty of stuff that's usable in this scenario. Will take a look there this weekend.