PDA

View Full Version : Live rocks "died"?!

Fab The Fish
02/20/2017, 02:44 PM
Hi I am pretty new to the hobby. I have got a 14g biocube to start off. I got everything set up for 2 months now, I have 1 clownfish, a coral frag and a anemone. I added dry rock to my tank but put live rock in my filter and I put some stuff in the tank to make it live. After 3 weeks the rocks started doing good and turning brownish with stuff for my crabs and snails to eat etc. but then it stopped, the rock went back to whiteish color and my live rocks did too! What happened?? Did I do something that made it all stop growing or is this normal? Plz help me!

Thanks Fab :)

mcgyvr
02/20/2017, 02:46 PM
100% Normal..
The brown is "diatoms" which are very common in a new tank and will disappear fairly quickly as the excessive silicates are consumed by the diatoms..
Once the silicates are gone the diatoms have no food and as such die out..

Typically then you will start to get green film/hair algae.. then even some cyano bacteria..
Its all normal as the tank is "maturing" and provided you keep nutrients (nitrates/phosphates) low they will go away too..

stelliofleondis
02/20/2017, 02:47 PM
Ur tank will cycle from white to brown to green to purple just the stages of the algae

Fab The Fish
02/20/2017, 02:49 PM
Fewf!

I was worried that my crabs and snails would have nothing to eat and die!

mcgyvr
02/20/2017, 02:57 PM
Fewf!

I was worried that my crabs and snails would have nothing to eat and die!

Thats always a possibility still.. But not too likely on a new tank from a newbie :clown:

Sk8r
02/20/2017, 04:54 PM
Set your parameters to what I have in my sig line and hold them there 24/7. It will make things a lot easier.

ericarenee
02/20/2017, 05:01 PM
I AGREE With everyone above and will add it appears your doing quite well..

Welcome to Reef Central

Fab The Fish
02/20/2017, 06:50 PM
Wow! Thank all of you for the help I wasn't expecting so much advice! This forum is quite helpful :)!!

Braves95
02/20/2017, 07:08 PM
When it comes to your CUC I would add slowly so the food source is not depleted. For example a lot of the suggestions are 1 hermit per gallon...this is maybe true for an established tank but not a new one. Otherwise you will quickly notice a lot of empty shells.