PDA

View Full Version : Preset Programs????

SPotter
02/21/2017, 06:58 AM
Logan, is there any way you guys can do some testing and publish the %'s for each channel on the v2 to achieve specific K settings like a 14k or 20k setting?

Reefer40b
02/22/2017, 06:04 AM
Hey now that sound like a great idea! Hope he can do it

Ron Reefman
02/23/2017, 05:42 AM
You guys would rather set your light to a preset like 20,000K rather than use your own ascetic ability to set your light the way you want it to look? And a PAR number is way more telling than a Kelvin color temperature. You should almost be able to do that kind of finding with your naked eye and a few reference charts off the internet. Besides, these numbers would be for the sunny and cloudy settings, not for the custom which is the one I think 95% of V2 users run. So it wouldn't tell you much.

I'm not sure how anybody goes about finding the K value of any given light? Is there some kind of a meter for that?

SPotter
02/23/2017, 06:07 AM
There is a meter that can do it and believe it's called a spectrograph. It would be able to tell us what % setting for each color to achieve that k value and then I could program it into my custom setting. It's something that you can do with radions and hydras.

I've read that playing with the light spectrum to make it pleasing to our eyes may not be pleasing to the coral tissue. As far as par being more important than k I disagree with that. If you put enough green leds together you'll be able to achieve 300+ par but that doesn't mean you'll be able to grow corals.

wayneto
02/23/2017, 01:09 PM
You Might want to check out the Seneye Reef. It has a Par, lux and Kelvin and is around $200. I have one just for the light meters. Have a friend that have a Li-cor that cost a lot more then that and the Seneye is reading have that are pretty close to it.

Ron Reefman
02/24/2017, 06:32 AM
I've read that playing with the light spectrum to make it pleasing to our eyes may not be pleasing to the coral tissue. As far as par being more important than k I disagree with that. If you put enough green leds together you'll be able to achieve 300+ par but that doesn't mean you'll be able to grow corals.

Steve, I guess we can agree to disagree to some extent. Your points are well taken even if your example is a bit odd.

If somebody thinks making their tank all green is 'pleasing' to the eye, they probably do reefing on another planet, and likely don't own a V2. LOL!

As far as PAR and Kelvin go, we both understand they are different things. And just as you could have high PAR in an all green tank, you could have just the exact right Kelvin color temp for your coral, but if the PAR is 50 or 1000... just as silly an example as an all green tank don't you think?

Just so we are clear, I say PAR because we have no good way to know or meter what the proper PUR should be... especially in a mixed reef. Anybody tuned in to led discussions about led lighting should quickly learn that the primary light for coral is a mix of blue to violet and that a good dose of white adds all the rest of the spectrum your corals need.

BTW, just what is the exact right Kelvin color temp for an aquarium? It's almost as unknown as the PUR, IMHO.

SPotter
02/24/2017, 08:15 AM
lol I know the example is weird....stole it from Tulio at Reefbrite as it was an example he used at some conference. I don't think that there is one setting that is better over another and it does come down to personal preference. I just think it would be easier if there was a way to know what the correct blend of %'s is to achieve that setting so you're not over doing it with red or green or uv.

Reef_Breeders
02/24/2017, 08:31 AM
lol I know the example is weird....stole it from Tulio at Reefbrite as it was an example he used at some conference. I don't think that there is one setting that is better over another and it does come down to personal preference. I just think it would be easier if there was a way to know what the correct blend of %'s is to achieve that setting so you're not over doing it with red or green or uv.

Hi,

There is a spreadsheet with recommended ratios for each kelvin rating that you can download on our website, it's in the Questions? page.

Also, kelvin rating is very hard to measure since it's essentially visual perception, so no 2 people's 20K will be exactly the same. It's difficult for a scientific grade spectroradiometer to measure kelvin rating with any degree of accuracy, a seneye would only be a very general guideline.

Reefer40b
04/01/2017, 07:48 PM
Here is a great spreadsheet I just came across from a guy on [email protected], has kelvin and light schedules

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jDssjmXctFATuW-GCDkVtZbm3-HgCcOv1U5YcPyiDJ0/edit?usp=sharing

SPotter
04/01/2017, 09:29 PM
Some of those numbers look pretty high especially for the 20k. I'll play around tomorrow.

Ron Reefman
04/02/2017, 04:59 AM
Some of those numbers look pretty high especially for the 20k. I'll play around tomorrow.

No kidding! Unless you have a 30" or 36" deep tank.

Mine is only 20" and those setting would bleach half my corals! Be very careful with that chart.

Reefer40b, where did you get that?

Reefer40b
04/06/2017, 03:16 AM
Indeed those numbers are high!

It from the other big forum site, reef too reef. I believe it was actually a spread sheet from reef breeders orignally(standards sheet). The guy just added the custom scheldule and color pop sheets in excel. On the custom sheet adjust the scaling factor to lower the intensity but with that ratio it suppose to get you a 20K look.

For me my peak is 15 10 50 20 50 50 with a 32in V2 over a 40b. Mixed reef. 7-8in off the water