PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a single fish safely

RogueGrown
02/21/2017, 08:30 AM
I have a 20 long with a few corals and one six line wrasse. My question is, what's the best way to feed a single fish with out easily polluting the tank. The fish is eating frozen food well and also pics the pods off my glass and rocks. I feel however when I feed he's not eating it all and it either sinking or blowing away. Also I read that you should rinse your frozen foods first to help keep Phosphate down. I got my hanna checker ULR in last night and tested out at 0.173... as to my understanding this is too high and I think it's because of a feeding issue.

sde1500
02/21/2017, 08:32 AM
just put a little bit of food in at a time, for it to eat. If you're feeding frozen just a few bits at a time, let it eat that, put a bit more in. If it stops, stop feeding.

RogueGrown
02/21/2017, 08:51 AM
I feed only a little bit at a time. So what would be the best way to rinse the food? Also since my six line is so small am I able to thaw put say a couple days worth of food and keep it in the refrigerator?

sde1500
02/21/2017, 08:53 AM
I don't rinse my food. The amount of water added with the frozen food, I believe, can't possibly be enough to cause a raise in phosphates compared to the size of the systems we have. I thaw a few cubes at a time, it lasts a couple days for me. I believe there is some loss in nutrition after it is thawed, but all my fish look healthy and well fed.

RogueGrown
02/21/2017, 09:14 AM
I don't rinse my food. The amount of water added with the frozen food, I believe, can't possibly be enough to cause a raise in phosphates compared to the size of the systems we have. I thaw a few cubes at a time, it lasts a couple days for me. I believe there is some loss in nutrition after it is thawed, but all my fish look healthy and well fed.

So it sounds like it is ok to store thawed food in the fridge? I have been cutting a cube of plankton into quarters and thawing it out in water and pooring a small amount in. I have notice that my hermits and snails seem to pick at some too.