PDA

View Full Version : Alk and calcium dropping really fast

juanmanuelsanch
02/22/2017, 05:42 PM
hi all ! I usually do 10% water changes every week, but I have noticed that my calcium and alk are getting low quiet fast (I dont have many corals), 2 of them are stony ones.

So what percentage of water should I change weekly? Can I dose Epson salts and baking soda as supplements to the mix?

Im using red sea coral pro salt.

Any advice is welcome.

THanks in advance

Dombake
02/22/2017, 05:47 PM
What is "quite fast"? What are the starting levels? How long has it been going on?

heathlindner25
02/22/2017, 07:02 PM
Epson salt is for magnesium... you will need calcium chloride to raise calcium

TokiHacker
02/22/2017, 10:31 PM
You run a skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanmanuelsanch
02/22/2017, 10:47 PM
yes I do

SycoCell
02/23/2017, 05:44 AM
+1 to Calcium Chloride. Do yourself a favor and just get the BRS 2-part. Your tank will stay rock solid.

thysrof
02/23/2017, 09:01 AM
If you are going to start dosing. Great idea. Go on youtube and watch some of the video's. Bulk Reef Supply has a lot of really helpful videos that will help you understand why and how to do it. Don't miss out on the Balling Method. It's basically a way of dosing everything your tank needs and eliminates or reduces the need for water changes. Owe and buy quality dosing pumps. Preferably 3 of them.

mcgyvr
02/23/2017, 09:07 AM
Before dong anything I would confirm your assumptions.. (get a little more "scientific" about it)
How often do you test? Do you have results already you can post? daily testing numbers,etc..
What is the daily consumption rate of your tank? Typically you would monitor a few hours after a water change and then daily or more and chart that information..

Had you actually put real test data vs "getting quite low fast" then I wouldn't have made these comments.. low/fast are all relative.. and you haven't provided any real data to me to tell you you need to start dosing..

If needed based on facts/known consumption rates then.. Start a dosing program..

Having 2 "stony" corals and doing 10% water changes to me.. Probably does not require dosing at all.. Unless those corals are huge and you have a small volume of water..

GimpyFin
02/23/2017, 09:32 AM
In addition to what others have suggested, I'd first check to make sure your magnesium is around 1350 or so. This will help keep alk and cal stabilized as well.