PDA

View Full Version : Bioload Consultant

markfernandez
02/22/2017, 10:30 PM
Hello, I'm planning to get a new tank either a 29gal biocube or 32gal biocube. I have been drooling over keeping a yellow polkadot. It was what brought me in the hobby. I have a nice successful reef (after MANY fails). It is a 45 gallon tank with 6 fishes who call it home. Now here's what I need help with.

I was wondering if this would work for a 32 gallon or 29 gallon cube.

1x Yellow Polka Dot Boxfish
-Yes I do know the cons of this animal and the poison. I will move it once the specimen gets to 3 inches or 4 inches in size to a relatives tank whom is willing to take the animal.

2x Occelaris Clownfish

1x Shrimp goby (Yasha or randalls)
W/ of course a pistol shrimp

1x Firefish or clown Goby

I'm just contemplating in whether this bioload is through the roof or its perfect

Planning for a skimmer and weekly water change.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/2d06ca9f571c1b54ad8f68ff5f59775f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CrayolaViolence
02/23/2017, 09:41 AM
If you are going to have a box fish you may want to make it the only fish. They stress very easily and when stressed emit toxins. The size tank you have is no where large enough. Not just because this fish can get 18 inches in size, but water volume will be your saving grace. This fish will just as easily poison itself as it will tankmates.

I realize you don't want to start with a huge tank, but I think I would at least start with a tank that's 90 gallons so that you have enough water volume to handle any toxins. If it were me, it would be the only fish in the tank.

markfernandez
02/23/2017, 01:30 PM
If you are going to have a box fish you may want to make it the only fish. They stress very easily and when stressed emit toxins. The size tank you have is no where large enough. Not just because this fish can get 18 inches in size, but water volume will be your saving grace. This fish will just as easily poison itself as it will tankmates.

I realize you don't want to start with a huge tank, but I think I would at least start with a tank that's 90 gallons so that you have enough water volume to handle any toxins. If it were me, it would be the only fish in the tank.
Thank you for replying . I see as the toxin can really be worry some. I will take your opinion into consideration.

CrayolaViolence
02/23/2017, 02:15 PM
FWIW, I really want one of these fish too, but I just don't have the space to commit to a fish only tank that will wind up needing to be around 300 gallons for only one fish.

markfernandez
02/23/2017, 02:47 PM
FWIW, I really want one of these fish too, but I just don't have the space to commit to a fish only tank that will wind up needing to be around 300 gallons for only one fish.
Ya that is why I'm just going to keep it for a few months. I think they are reef safe but tube worms and feather dusters are a no go. I may just go dive Into SPS a Lil bit.

markfernandez
02/23/2017, 03:03 PM
Not our job to judge people. It's our job as forum members to educate and inform people of their choices, whether they are wrong or not, its not up to us.
Thank you.

mhurley
02/23/2017, 03:07 PM
I deleted a few posts here because I don't feel like editing a bunch of things and removing profanity. Especially if I'm not even sure they were written in English in the first place.

markfernandez
02/23/2017, 03:10 PM
I deleted a few posts here because I don't feel like editing a bunch of things and removing profanity. Especially if I'm not even sure they were written in English in the first place.
Lol editing is time consuming sometimes.