PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Snoweflake eel ca. 12"

peejay
02/23/2017, 03:33 PM
Hi guys. I have a snowflake eel around 12" long. Im feeding him 3 pcs. of frozen silverside fish every 2 to 3 days. Do you guys think that it is enough or am i feeding him toooooo little?

I read in some other forum that they are feeding their SFL until it gets fool every 2-3 days. For me that mean feeding SFE more than 3 pcs. of silverside.

Im just worried that im feeding him too little. I want to feed him just enough food to be healthy.

Thanks guys.
Peter

Cliving1
02/23/2017, 03:47 PM
2 or 3 days should be fine. If you can, try to switch up the diet. Offer other seafood, should help in the life of the eel.

carrots
02/23/2017, 06:39 PM
Hi Peter, You may want to try Lance fish. They are a little smaller than silver-sides and you should be able to feed it a whole one every other day. Try sticking some quality pellet food down the mouth of the feeder fish prior to feeding to your eel. Like Cliving said above, offer other seafood often to keep your eel happy and healthy.

cougareyes
02/23/2017, 09:00 PM
That sounds lioke a good amount for that size, I'd also offer him shrimp, squid, and octopus. I feed my jeweled all he wants at each feeding, so you can always offer another piece to see if he wants it. How is he growing

peejay
02/24/2017, 03:48 AM
2 or 3 days should be fine. If you can, try to switch up the diet. Offer other seafood, should help in the life of the eel.

If ill give him some shrimps. how many pcs should i give him? many SFE keeper have different opinion. i just want whats best for my SFE :)

peejay
02/24/2017, 03:51 AM
Hi Peter, You may want to try Lance fish. They are a little smaller than silver-sides and you should be able to feed it a whole one every other day. Try sticking some quality pellet food down the mouth of the feeder fish prior to feeding to your eel. Like Cliving said above, offer other seafood often to keep your eel happy and healthy.

Oh ok. Ill try to get Lance fish then. I hope they have it here in Norway. But if ill feed him with lance Fish, how many pcs. in every 2-3 days? i dont want to feed him everyday because he might take some on my fishes when im away for a day or two hehehe.

peejay
02/24/2017, 03:53 AM
That sounds lioke a good amount for that size, I'd also offer him shrimp, squid, and octopus. I feed my jeweled all he wants at each feeding, so you can always offer another piece to see if he wants it. How is he growing

i have him for about a week now. if ill give him squid and octopus and shrimp and lance fish, how many pcs in each every feeding time? sorry to much question hehehe :)

carrots
02/24/2017, 12:05 PM
Just mix up the feedings, one day shrimp another day squid etc. I feed mine with a blunt tip poker. Just stick a piece of food on the end & wave it in front of the eel. He will smell it and takes it back into it's cave. Then try another piece. When you can see a bump in the eel's belly it usually stops coming out of the cave for more. I do not feed it again for about 3 days unless he gets excited while I'm feeding the other fish in the tank.

peejay
02/25/2017, 02:53 AM
Just mix up the feedings, one day shrimp another day squid etc. I feed mine with a blunt tip poker. Just stick a piece of food on the end & wave it in front of the eel. He will smell it and takes it back into it's cave. Then try another piece. When you can see a bump in the eel's belly it usually stops coming out of the cave for more. I do not feed it again for about 3 days unless he gets excited while I'm feeding the other fish in the tank.

oh ok. take for the tips men. cheers :)

exsequor
02/25/2017, 01:25 PM
My snowflake is 12-14" long and makes it known when he is hungry, as he will start to poke his head farther out then normal and move around and give that "I'm hungry" look. If he's really hungry, like if it's been 2-3 days or something, he'll start swimming around the tank as I feed the other fish, basically asking to get fed a krill or a silverside. Mine eats basically entirely krill and silverside because that's all he will take with the tongs and I'm not feeding him with my bare hands obviously, and he doesn't go after food without the tongs unless he is REALLY hungry. I guess he's trained to know that the aqua tongs = food.

I'd say for mine, a silverside or two every 2-3 days is perfect.

peejay
02/25/2017, 05:44 PM
My snowflake is 12-14" long and makes it known when he is hungry, as he will start to poke his head farther out then normal and move around and give that "I'm hungry" look. If he's really hungry, like if it's been 2-3 days or something, he'll start swimming around the tank as I feed the other fish, basically asking to get fed a krill or a silverside. Mine eats basically entirely krill and silverside because that's all he will take with the tongs and I'm not feeding him with my bare hands obviously, and he doesn't go after food without the tongs unless he is REALLY hungry. I guess he's trained to know that the aqua tongs = food.

I'd say for mine, a silverside or two every 2-3 days is perfect.

this is what im trying to say, different people, different ways in feeding their SFE. Mine is not going out at all, just hiding under the rocks every time. Just sometimes his head is poking out from the rocks. He never swims around, maybe because he is new in the family. Just about 1 week and half. But when the time im feeding him, it shows that he is hungry.

thanks for the input, ill try my best to make my SFE happy and healthy. :)