PDA

View Full Version : Smudge proofing tank...

Rishsd
02/24/2017, 01:30 PM
1st time poster here. I have a 110 gallon tank in a k-8 school. The kids are relentless about touching the glass. I read an article about using rainx on a tablet to make it smudge proof. Is it too much of a risk to put this on the outside of the tank? It would not be sprayed... thanks in advance.

sde1500
02/24/2017, 01:52 PM
Yea, don't bother, just clean the glass occasionally. I would not apply any chemical to the outside of the glass if it were my tank. Windex on a paper towel, sprayed in the other room, and wipe down, easy enough really. So, I guess, any chemical besides windex haha.

mcgyvr
02/24/2017, 04:41 PM
No issues applying the liquid rainx to the glass.. Doubt it will do what you hope for though..

I'd probably construct a "do not cross" plastic chain fence to keep those little... people... away from it..

ericarenee
02/24/2017, 05:25 PM
the rain-x thing will prob not work.. I tried it on my SURFACE TABLET. what i would do is post a sign DO NOT TOUCH GLASS. Tell everyone to NOT TOUCH THE GLASS. Its a good thing for the Kids to learn ....

My opinion

billdogg
02/24/2017, 06:52 PM
No issues applying the liquid rainx to the glass.. Doubt it will do what you hope for though..

I'd probably construct a "do not cross" plastic chain fence to keep those little... people... away from it..

the rain-x thing will prob not work.. I tried it on my SURFACE TABLET. what i would do is post a sign DO NOT TOUCH GLASS. Tell everyone to NOT TOUCH THE GLASS. Its a good thing for the Kids to learn ....

My opinion

Maybe something with a little, i dunno, electricity running through it?:D I'm thinkin 10,000 volts should do the trick:eek1::D:eek1:

Desert Sea
02/24/2017, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't deter the kids from touching the glass. That's part of them getting involved in the aquarium. That's what it's there for after all isn't it?

You have a large pool of free labor there. Why not create a "helper job" that each class can take turns helping maintain the tank each week, including wiping down the glass each day. You may end up creating a life long interest in aquarium keeping for someone.

Oh, and welcome to the forum....

Reefer40b
02/25/2017, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't deter the kids from touching the glass. That's part of them getting involved in the aquarium. That's what it's there for after all isn't it?

You have a large pool of free labor there. Why not create a "helper job" that each class can take turns helping maintain the tank each week, including wiping down the glass each day. You may end up creating a life long interest in aquarium keeping for someone.

+1 make them your helpers if you don't want to clean the glass, Maybe they wont touch it as much knowing that they need to clean it..

kmbyrnes
02/25/2017, 09:16 AM
I'd rather see finger and nose prints on a tank. It means the kids are interested. My tanks always have my granddaughter's smudges. It doesn't bother me at all.
Cleaning the glass can be very simple. I use a squeegee and vinegar/water mixture. Takes 3 swipes and about 10 seconds.

TokiHacker
02/25/2017, 09:20 AM
My Rodesian Ridgeback leaves big nose prints when the mantis shrimp comes out to look at her.

tkeracer619
02/25/2017, 11:32 AM
It's going to be a daily chore. Part of the deal around kids!

billdogg
02/25/2017, 11:55 AM
Despite what my earlier comments were, I, too, encourage any and everybody to get as close as they want. I use invisible glass on a paper towel.

Rishsd
02/26/2017, 06:16 PM

I couldn't agree more... I am having children help. This is for a K-8 the younger children are the ones that touch the glass the most. I don't have a problem with the children touching the glass I just want to keep it cleaner throughout the day. We will use this tank to teach chemistry, biology, mathematics, fiances, photography, entrepreneurship, Photoshop, and life skills. We will have clubs that do this but I like your idea about rotating classes.

10,000 Volts ouch, I wonder what the parents will think?

Rishsd
02/26/2017, 06:18 PM
I am going to do a test. I am going to divide the tank in three section 1/3 will have rainx, 1/3 wax, and 1/3 nothing I will report my results. I don't think it will take long to see if it will work...

Tspors58
02/26/2017, 07:35 PM
Good old black and white newspaper
Keep it under tank ball a page up
Sparkling clean and easy.