PDA

View Full Version : lighting for 6 ft fowlr

burgerchow1
02/24/2017, 05:29 PM
back in the game. Last take was full 120 reef, sps and lps, clams, etc

I'm in process of setting up new 210 FOWLR . 72"by 24" by 29" high with 75 gallon sump with 36 watt uv sterilizer and bubble magus curve A9.

I'm not doing sps this time cause I've got a clown trigger and big Angels this time. Maybe some softies and LPS.

I need simple LED lighting over this tank. I've been out of the game for last 4 years, so not sure what are decent lights anymore. The last lights I used were Kessil A360 which I purchased about 6 years ago. ( I know I could get 2 of the new ap700 , but I think that's overkill on a FOWLR tank.

I'm thinking maybe the Chinese lights I see on amazon . Are they any good? Just not sure of the colors of these lights and worry about wavelengths that might promote nuisance algae. I don't need them to be too programmable. Just maybe set them to come on or off a certain time every day.

burgerchow1
02/24/2017, 07:41 PM
I found these on amazaon. Reviews are pretty good, but one thing is they don't daisy chain so each one has to be controlled individually .

I would need 3 of these to cover my tank, but would have to turn on and off each one individually every day.

Anybody know of a 6 foot fixture similar that would work?

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control 165W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Full Spectrum for Coral Reef Grow Fish Tank

by VIPARSPECTRA

4.8 out of 5 stars
4 customer reviews

Sale: CDN$ 169.00 & FREE Shipping. Details

In Stock.

Want it Wednesday, March 1? Order it in the next 61 hours and 4 minutes and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

Sold by VIPARSPECTRA-CA and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

• Timer 165W LED Aquarium Light was designed and made by VIPARSPECTRA which you can't beat the price and quality combo!
• It has a built in timer which allows you to program a separate intensity for either channel, as well as a separate on and off time for each channel.
• The light is full spectrum with our proprietary layout, which is contributed by thousands of ReefCentral members, has had years of success.
• This fixture is suitable for all photosynthetic corals. Be sure to acclimate your tank or new corals to the new light by slowing increasing its exposure/intensity to the light.
• The adjustable hanging kits is made up of a unique lock assembly for secure mounting of the unit, makes sure the unit is properly positioned over your aquarium.

burgerchow1
02/28/2017, 09:12 PM
I'm going to see if the Reef Breeders Photon V2 will be any good. I can get 2 3 ft fixtures for about $1200 CDN

the Radion Pro Gen 4 are nice, but 3 of them would be over $ 3500 CDN. and at the rate they depreciate, might as well get the better Chinese lights like Reef Breeders and chuck them out in a couple years when something better comes along.

Other option is get 3 viparspectra Chinese lights for about $550 .

frankv702
02/28/2017, 09:24 PM
Do you have a canopy? For a Fowlr, you don't need anything fancy. I used 3 of the black boxes and modified them to be adjusted with my apex. It worked fine, was cheap, and looked decent.

frankv702
02/28/2017, 09:26 PM
I also had 3 Kessil A160s on it.

scuzy
02/28/2017, 09:28 PM
How's about three oceans revive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyHildo
02/28/2017, 09:42 PM
I'm going to see if the Reef Breeders Photon V2 will be any good. I can get 2 3 ft fixtures for about $1200 CDN

the Radion Pro Gen 4 are nice, but 3 of them would be over $ 3500 CDN. and at the rate they depreciate, might as well get the better Chinese lights like Reef Breeders and chuck them out in a couple years when something better comes along.

Other option is get 3 viparspectra Chinese lights for about $550 .

to me of the few advantages about running a fowl system the biggest would be the ability to run cheaper lighting than a reef system. it seems crazy to spend more than a few hundred dollars when there are many LED systems that don't supply enough par for coral but are terrific for fish only aquariums.

burgerchow1
02/28/2017, 09:46 PM
just ordered 3 viparspectra at $170 Cdn each from Amazon.

they seemed to be the best of the "china black boxes" At least Amazon says they come with 3 years warranty and 30 day money back.

can't go wrong at that price I guess. Maybe I can even keep some LPS down the road. ( as long as my clown trigger doesn't eat them LOL )

now I gotta figure a way to make some kind of ramp for them to sit in the canopy.