PDA

View Full Version : Please Neptune, I beg of you

radecatur
02/26/2017, 10:45 AM
For the love of all things reef related....
Please give us release notes on firmware updates.
In the IT world (and this is tightly related) you don't upgrade mission critical systems without first knowing what it is going to change.
For many of us, this is the life support of our tanks. It is mission critical in that regard. So maybe the firmware fixes an issue we're having. Maybe it has a feature that is worth the risk of an upgrade. Otherwise if it doesn't, we may just leave it alone, But without those notes we're blind.
Release notes are an industry standard, i promise, nothing but good can come from them.
Please consider them.

vhuang168
02/26/2017, 12:35 PM
There already are release notes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/ffe6c7d4859e7988bed4c04a7d3945b0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/5fd70396c4f5b0a2989938019cc4de61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radecatur
02/26/2017, 04:13 PM
Those are fusion release notes, not AOS. They are independent

TerenceF
02/26/2017, 04:39 PM
Industry standard?

Have you seen the update notes for many of the apps you likely use? We could certainly do similar.

For instance:

Linked In: General Bug fixes and performance enhancements

RedBox: Bug fixes

Trip Advisor: Bug Fixes and stability enhancements

Detailed release notes are a thing of the past. The average user does not care on a consumer product. If we did them on every release we then likely would be told they are not detailed enough, and we will get complaints.

I hear what you are saying but cleaning internal release notes/info and then making it ready for public consumption is not a top priority as most would not bother reading anyways. We would rather use those resources to continue to improve the product.

Kurt03
02/26/2017, 05:21 PM
Industry standard?

Have you seen the update notes for many of the apps you likely use? We could certainly do similar.

For instance:

Linked In: General Bug fixes and performance enhancements

RedBox: Bug fixes

Trip Advisor: Bug Fixes and stability enhancements

Detailed release notes are a thing of the past. The average user does not care on a consumer product. If we did them on every release we then likely would be told they are not detailed enough, and we will get complaints.

I hear what you are saying but cleaning internal release notes/info and then making it ready for public consumption is not a top priority as most would not bother reading anyways. We would rather use those resources to continue to improve the product.

These are a different class of systems, they are not controlling critical systems etc. It would be better to compare it to a hospital upgrading a device, a company's core firewall or routing equipment,.... You can bet they are reading release notes before upgrading.

I agree for the price of the controller and what we commonly use it to control there should be release notes. We need to at least know, "fixed a bug in how temperature control was handled"

TerenceF
02/27/2017, 03:16 PM
Not trying to say there isn't some value for some customers. However, even in your example, how would that change what you would do or not do in terms of an update. And, realize that you would be a very tiny percentage of the user base.

Nearly every update we do has something in it that improves stability for nearly every customer and it usually includes enhancements of one kind or another - sometimes very small ones. We never would want our customers to wait out a fully vetted release of firmware/AOS based on how they might interpret the super-fine details of a set of release notes.

I get what you guys want. I just don't see it as that critical to the vast majority of users - or I would push for it. I'm simply trying to help you adjust your expectations. Some of the same engineers that have been doing our product firmware for 20 years are still doing it and I do not expect this to change much. there will be times with info, and many times with none or not to the level some of you would like.