PDA

View Full Version : New 90 gal build plan

crash29ca
02/26/2017, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone

I have been out of the saltwater game for a little over a year now. My last tank was a 50 gal 36" LPS dominate tank. I had varying degrees of success. I just started reading up in this forum and watching the 52 weeks of reefing series on BRS tv. I have a much better understanding of where I went wrong on my last tank. So now on to my new build plan.

The DT will be a 90 gal mixed reef. 48"X18"x24" high. For the sump i am leaning towards an Eshoppe R 200. The skimmer area is big enough that I could split it in 2 to have 1 part for the skimmer and 1 part for the zeovit reactor. My plan for the sump is to have the first section after the socks to have a block or 2 of marine pure in the bottom and chaeto on top of that. second chamber will have my skimmer and the last chamber will be the zeovit reactor. for the skimmer i am thinking i will use a Simplicity 240 DC. I have seen a lot of good reviews on this skimmer. for the zeovit reactor I am not sure. The vertex will fit best but i have seen bad reviews on this reactor. Most saying small pieces of rock get stuck in between cylinders making it very difficult to pump. Any suggestions are welcome for a zeovit reactor. For the lights I am thinking of using the reef breeder photon v2 48" fixture. Also considering a Kessil ap700 with 2 t5's to supplement. again any suggestions are welcome. or the rock I am planning on using dry Key Largo marco rock. Since I have to save up the money for each thing I should have no trouble taking 12 weeks to cure my rock while i save for my light. Flow will include the maxspect gyre 130 i have from my previous tank and perhaps another powerhead not sure which one yet.
As you can tell from the equipment I am thinking of using, I am planning on running a Zeovit system with this new tank. I am looking at having a mixed reef with acro's at the top and LPS at the lower half. The tank will arrive in about a week as I got a really good deal on it. I will have a cage like a reptile caged to on this tank because I have a Bengal cat that's only 5 generation from a snow leopard so there is no way I could keep her out of an open tank. Fish plan will include a pair of clowns, a yellow or kole tang, a six line wrasse, possibly an antias, and eventually a sand sifting goby. Also may try other wrasse fish as I love the way they swim. Substrate will either be fiji pink or perhaps 1 size larger so it doesn't blow around as much.
Please give me your thoughts and suggestions for equipment. This will be a slow build as I will be saving up for each piece of equipment but I will post pics as I get there.

Reef_Pilot
02/27/2017, 01:57 AM
I am still in my planning stages for my first SW tank which is a 90g as well. Looking forward to watching your build.

Kaiser699a
02/27/2017, 06:50 AM
I just upgraded to 100g in Dec 2016. I use a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 and it is brilliant and dead silent. I also went for Evergrow LED light fixture. I looked at Kessil as part of my research but eventually took the gamble on the Evergrow. Glad I did! It comes with hanging kit or tank mounts. I have mine tank mounted and it sits about 6 inches above the water. Very neat. The control is fantastic. It has a wireless handheld programmer and the supplier provides a spreadsheet on Facebook to set the 6 channels over 24 hour period and I love it. I currently have it down at 40% max at the minute and the corals love it already. When I ramp it up slowly I'm sure I will get lots more growth.

Good luck with yours, I'm following along.

crash29ca
02/27/2017, 08:03 PM
Looking forward to getting my Tank next week. It will be my first predrilled tank. Should be way better than the siphon overflow I had on my first Tank.

Kaiser699a
02/28/2017, 08:02 AM
I had a siphon overflow box on previous tank and have to say it worked ok but I was always worried about it and checking it. Then I got predrilled and it was much better but in those days plumbing and basic overflow was noisy. Now I drill myself. I just bought the drill bit and followed youtube tutorial on drilling. I think I have done 6 - 8 holes of various sizes now with no issues. Anyway, you'll be glad it's drilled. What kind of overflow arrangement will it have?

Bugnator
02/28/2017, 09:28 PM
I'm also building a 90 gallon tank. I picked one up that had a sump and skimmer from Craigslist but I think I'm using just the tank. I look forward to following your build.

Kaiser699a
03/01/2017, 05:02 AM
Bugnator, I would recommend using the sump so you can get all the kit out of the DT and maybe the sump also has room left for when you ramp up your kit. Happened to me and would never go sumpless again. Also doesn't do any harm for water stability to have that bit extra volume.

Bugnator
03/04/2017, 05:05 PM
Bugnator, I would recommend using the sump so you can get all the kit out of the DT and maybe the sump also has room left for when you ramp up your kit. Happened to me and would never go sumpless again. Also doesn't do any harm for water stability to have that bit extra volume.

Kaiser699a Thanks, I plan on using a sump just not the one I got with that tank. I have a sump a made out if a 40 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdubin00
03/04/2017, 11:28 PM
I'm thinking of running zeo on my 90 too ! BRS has that really good deal right now on the starter packages ,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash29ca
03/05/2017, 06:02 PM
It is a basic durso assembly that came with the tank. The tank and stand will arrive on Saturday the 11th. Can't wait! Here is a pic of the overflow kit that comes with the tank. The store owner wanted me to have something to take home today when I paid off the tank.

crash29ca
03/11/2017, 11:23 AM
So kind of exciting today as my Tank arrived. Now time to start saving for the sump. Thinking of an Eshopps R200 not sure though. Any suggestions welcome. Here is a pic of the new Tank and stand.

JUNBUG361
03/11/2017, 03:38 PM
Trigger sump

crash29ca
03/12/2017, 07:43 PM
This is the question I am facing. What size sum do I get. I am thinking of the Eshopps R200 which will hold 24 to 30 gallons. Or do I go with the one rated for my tank which is the R100 which will only hold about 15 to 20 gallons. Either one will fit. But I am planning on going with a zeovit reactor. Thinking of using the Avast marine vibe which would be external. If I went with the R200 the skimmer section is big enough to split in 2 and have my skimmer and an internal zeovit reactor. Just leery about the vertex zeovit reactor because of bad reviews saying it's hard to pump after a short time. Or do I go to the trigger systems and what size then. Total room under aquarium is 46"X14". I do need an auto under there and a controller. Could build a platform to expand to 15" wide if needed. All thoughts on this are welcome.

crash29ca
03/25/2017, 06:14 PM
So guys I have decided to build my sump from a 30 gallon tank I have. Plus I got the acrylic for free from work. So I know have money for Rock. I can get dry key largo rock at a decent price. So how much do I need. It is dry so I don't think I need 90 lbs. but how much less do I need. If anyone can help me out please feel free to chime in.

Darthv247
04/09/2017, 06:21 PM
90 is enough yes. buy a little extra to play with and get your scape how u like it though. any extra u can use in the sump or fuge.

crash29ca
07/29/2017, 09:37 PM
Well everyone it's been awhile since I have posted any updates. I had every intention of building my sump out of the spare 30 gal tank I had and even cut the acrylic for the baffling. Unfortunately I found a major design flaw when I went to put everything together. So after much consideration I decided to have a LFS build me one. This guy builds lots of tanks and was priced just below what I could buy one for. Here are some pics of it. There are 2 sides to this sump 1 will be lower flow for pod and bacteria frothed and the other will be where the skimmer goes.

crash29ca
07/29/2017, 09:41 PM
Got some more equipment today. A bubble magus curve A5 CDM skimmer a Jebao DCP 5000 return pump and a Tunze Ato. Plus some plumbing parts. Might have water in this thing as early as next week. Then time to save for my lights.