PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech XR30W vs. XR30W Pro Gen 4 ???

Stolireef
02/27/2017, 08:50 AM
I'm thinking about moving from a 2x250W MH and 2xT5 lighting setup on my 110 to 2x Ecotech XR30W Gen 4. I posted this question in the Ecotech forum but received little response. For a 110 Gallon 48x30x20 (LWH), do I need to go with the PRO version. I am focused on SPS and want to be able to grow them at any level in the tank.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

gcarroll
02/27/2017, 10:11 AM
I would recomend 3 to reduce shadowing. Run them perpendicular to the tank so the spread is adequate for the 30" wide tank. I recommended the same to ksed and he bought 2. He soon ordered a 3rd and is happy with his purchase. As for pro or regular. By the pro if you are the type to be regretful of your purchase. I have a friend that had a beautiful SPS tank with a gen 1 radion so I'm 100% positive that it can work. Most SPS guys opt for the pro so there are lots of publish profiles to copy that have proven results.

Stolireef
02/27/2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks Greg. The feedback is appreciated. I actually had the Gen 1's and swapped them out for the Halides. I think they have come a long way since then. I live in AZ so heat can be an issue as is the electric bill (although, it'll take quite a bit of time for the LED's to make up the cost).

Anyone else want to chime in?

ca1ore
02/27/2017, 12:12 PM
I've been eyeing these as a replacement for my aging reefbreeders lights ... the Gen4 Pro may be the thing that finally gets me off my derriere.

doctorreef
02/27/2017, 12:33 PM
I have 2 pros (can't remember what gen) on my 110 and it does well. I'm growing some SPS near the sand bed. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170227/7c1935d77b1a6c50c8647ae967028c70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stolireef
02/27/2017, 12:52 PM
Doctorreef: Nothing like seeing is believing. It's too bad you can't get your Cap's to grow. :)

ca1ore
02/27/2017, 12:58 PM
I think someone may be buried underneath it .....

Zacktosterone
02/27/2017, 01:46 PM
I have 2 pros (can't remember what gen) on my 110 and it does well. I'm growing some SPS near the sand bed. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170227/7c1935d77b1a6c50c8647ae967028c70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like gen 3. you can tell by the fan

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 08:24 AM
I received a response from Ecotech today. According to them, two Gen 4 XR30W's should be fine and that I don't need the Pro's. I think it's a testament to Ecotech that they would take this position. Pulling the trigger today.

steallife904
03/23/2017, 08:30 AM
I've been eyeing these as a replacement for my aging reefbreeders lights ... the Gen4 Pro may be the thing that finally gets me off my derriere.

Any reason you didn't consider trying the reefbreeder V2s? I currently have reefbreeder V1s and am considering updating to the V2s.

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 08:42 AM
I can't speak for ca1ore, but I like the Ecotech environment and customer service. I don't have any experience with Reefbreeders but have read nice things. At this point, I just decided that Ecotech provides some piece of mind for the added investment. Seriously considered the AI 52 HDs also.

ca1ore
03/23/2017, 12:36 PM
Any reason you didn't consider trying the reefbreeder V2s? I currently have reefbreeder V1s and am considering updating to the V2s.

I did end up getting the Gen4 pro. I've seen the RB v2, and while they are a step up from the v1, they aren't a Gen4 - don't carry the price tag either though. I was looking for more of a MH look, which the RB don't really do, and really good dimming, which the RB don't do either. RB v2 are a good option though.

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 12:38 PM
I went with the regular G4. I figure if it doesn't put out enough light, I should be able to sell them pretty easily and get the Pro.

ca1ore
03/23/2017, 12:41 PM
I think you'll be fine. I'm only running the pro to about 60% on a 30" tall tank, and they are more than bright enough.

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 12:42 PM
Kind of what I figured. My tank is only 20" tall. My only concern and it's pretty minor, is that from front to back, I'm at 30".

steallife904
03/23/2017, 01:02 PM
I did end up getting the Gen4 pro. I've seen the RB v2, and while they are a step up from the v1, they aren't a Gen4 - don't carry the price tag either though. I was looking for more of a MH look, which the RB don't really do, and really good dimming, which the RB don't do either. RB v2 are a good option though.

Ya I would need 2 or 3 radions over my 5ft 150 gal and wife didn't like the idea of 1800 to 2400 in lights :(. I am hoping I will be happy with the photon V2s since I think that's the route I am going with and price is hard to beat on them.

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 02:05 PM
I've seen nothing but positive reviews on the V2s (with, of course, the usual exception of those that object to where they are made). I think you'll be really happy. I'd love to have an Audi S4 but my Ford Fusion Sport has more horsepower and all the bells and whistles for 15K less. I don't regret not spending the extra money.

ca1ore
03/23/2017, 02:14 PM
Ya I would need 2 or 3 radions over my 5ft 150 gal and wife didn't like the idea of 1800 to 2400 in lights :(. I am hoping I will be happy with the photon V2s since I think that's the route I am going with and price is hard to beat on them.

It's a absurd amount to spend on light - complete agreement on that! I had nothing major to complain about with the v1.

jda
03/23/2017, 03:54 PM
You are going to end up with three or four of these as your SPS grow, start to shadow and the inside and underneath of the branches start to get pale. Frags are easy - colonies are a totally different animal that have totally different needs. Check out the tanks with just a few panels and large colonies - they start to die from the bottom up, are pale where the light cannot get through and are mostly Montis and birdsnests. There are a few that do this right, but they end up covering the top of the tank in panels like Dr. Joshi has.

I would expect EcoTech to go recommend the bare-minimum - when you need more, who are you going to turn to? If they tell you three or four now, then you might back away. My kids told me once that Oreos and Chips were the most healthy lunch - why do people trust a manufacturer for advice? Chevy does not make the most-safe care even if they say that they do in their commercials.

Keep the MH - you won't get much for them and if you really get into SPS (like really into it), there is a really good chance that you put them back on.

bshow24
03/23/2017, 04:25 PM
You are going to end up with three or four of these as your SPS grow, start to shadow and the inside and underneath of the branches start to get pale. Frags are easy - colonies are a totally different animal that have totally different needs. Check out the tanks with just a few panels and large colonies - they start to die from the bottom up, are pale where the light cannot get through and are mostly Montis and birdsnests. There are a few that do this right, but they end up covering the top of the tank in panels like Dr. Joshi has.

I would expect EcoTech to go recommend the bare-minimum - when you need more, who are you going to turn to? If they tell you three or four now, then you might back away. My kids told me once that Oreos and Chips were the most healthy lunch - why do people trust a manufacturer for advice? Chevy does not make the most-safe care even if they say that they do in their commercials.

Keep the MH - you won't get much for them and if you really get into SPS (like really into it), there is a really good chance that you put them back on.

Agreed, you don't want just 2 on there. On my 40 breeder I'm currently envisioning having 2 with 2 retrofit T5 lights. I want to make sure I don't have the shadowing and my SPS grow well.

I think you mentioned you went with the Pros, and thats a great choice. They have a more in-depth color range and are much better (in my opinion) than the standard G4.

Stolireef
03/23/2017, 05:51 PM
Not sure I agree with you guys on this but time will tell. In my build thread, I'll be sure to post lots of pictures. As far as adding a third, that's been a possibility since I started planning the tank.

My perfect lighting fixture would be three 400W MH Radiums supplemented by four T5s. Unfortunately, I have 16 foot ceilings and suspending them would not be an option (I really hate standing on tall ladders especially when trying to mount a 30-40lbs fixture. My tank is rimless so I don't want a canopy or a huge fixture sitting on the rims. The Ecotechs just seem like the best solution.

If I have to add a third Radion, I'd switch them from parallel to the front of the tank to perpendicular. At that point, based upon what I've seen, I'd have ample coverage deep into the tank.

Just as a point of experience, I've grown basketball size birdsnests under the 400W Radiums and had stags growing out of the top of my tank.

steallife904
03/23/2017, 09:51 PM
I've seen nothing but positive reviews on the V2s (with, of course, the usual exception of those that object to where they are made). I think you'll be really happy. I'd love to have an Audi S4 but my Ford Fusion Sport has more horsepower and all the bells and whistles for 15K less. I don't regret not spending the extra money.

I actually have a new audi S3, guess thats whats taking away from my reef money :bigeyes: . i ended up ordering the photon 50 v2 tonight to replace my 2 photon 16 v1s. i also have a retro fit t5 mixed in i will keep. i have a friend with radions i will try to compare them with as far as color goes and may post a thread later about them.

jda
03/24/2017, 07:23 AM
If you want to grow birdsnest and stags you might be OK. If you want to grow the more diverse kinds of acropora, then pay close attention to the vast majority that could not make it work with so few panels on a larger tank. You can see some cubes and smaller tanks make it work a bit better. The experience is all there if you are open to looking for it.

ca1ore
03/24/2017, 08:19 AM
Not sure I agree with you guys on this but time will tell.

The issue of shading isn't something that's inherent to LED versus MH; rather it's about fixture design. MH fixture makers realized early on that large reflectors were required to reduce shading; something that many LED makers either have yet to work out or are unwilling to work out. Line source LED fixtures like the reefbreeders have no issues with shading (though you may see some of the 'disco ball' effect), and are good to about 24" of tank height. Point source LED fisxtures like the Kessils have major issues with shading. They are very good lights, but you'll end up doubling the array as the corals grow. I'd put the Gen4 in the middle, the LED 'pucks' aren't as small a light source as the Kessil but they aren't as broad as the reefbreeders.

steallife904
03/24/2017, 09:32 AM
im also mixing T5 in with my LEDs, just because it makes me feel better :), I would probably do even if I had radions.