PDA

View Full Version : How many tank cleaners(crabs,snails,etc) for 75g?

C5Chad
02/27/2017, 02:38 PM
Hey guys my tank has been cycling with live rock as well as dry/dead rock and live sand now for almost 2 weeks now. My water temp is at 80 degrees and salinity is at 1.025. Tank is very clean and clear right now.

Was curious if I can or should put in any types of crabs, snails, shrimp or whatever for tank cleaners to keep any possible bad algae somewhat at bay throughout my tank cycling process. I did notice I seem to have a serpent sea star and maybe an emerald crab that were hitchhikers on my live rock. Tested my ph level last night and it was at 8.2. Testing the rest tonight.

Would it be a good idea to put any of those tank cleaners in my tank? If so how many would you all recommend for a 75 gallon tank with about 45lbs of live and dry/dead rock. The substrate is also three 20lb bag and of live sand. And would you recommend snails or crabs or shrimp over another? I saw liveaquarias Reef cleaner packs and for a 75 gallon it just seemed like A LOT. But I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks for any advice guys!! It's much needed! And I have 3 fish in another tank that will be going in and plan on starting off with some hardy beginner corals to start and expanding as it goes.

CeresReef
02/27/2017, 03:33 PM
When you look at 'The Package' or whatever from TBS, the cleanup crew they provide is what i thought was a crazy amount as well, but they have been tried and tested, and that is still what is recommended.

I would get a variety of different snails, and some crabs, but I would hold avoid getting shrimp for cleanup crew, they are not very efficient (but get a cleaner shrimp anyways, cause they are awesome)

With that much sand, confirm you do have a star, and get a couple sand sifting snails in your bunch.

-Ceres

Nimitz87
02/27/2017, 04:05 PM
cut the packages from reefcleaners, etc. in half, many will die off, you can always add more if need be.

I love red trochus snails and hate the astrea snails as they can't flip over. also I only have about 4-5 hermits they always tend to kill snails.

C5Chad
02/27/2017, 04:57 PM
Was lookin going on liveaquarias build your own reef cleaner pack and was thinking maybe doing 5 scarlet hermit crabs and maybe 10 nassarius snails to start. Don't know if that would be enough or if I should look into more of a variety than that.

dj98ram
02/27/2017, 07:19 PM
My 75g has about 100 lbs of live rock and I've got 12-15 misc snails, 12-15 hermit crabs and 2 conchs. They do a very good job of keeping things tidy.

marper331
02/27/2017, 09:53 PM
My 75g has about 100 lbs of live rock and I've got 12-15 misc snails, 12-15 hermit crabs and 2 conchs. They do a very good job of keeping things tidy.

I have pretty much the same in my 75 gallon tank. Only 1 conch but I had to put him in the refugium as he was constantly knocking frags over on my sandbed.

jimmy n
02/27/2017, 10:46 PM
I would do snails, conch, shrimp. NO crabs. They will fight, kill and pillage.

tmnigat
02/28/2017, 12:07 AM
I love the conch's in my tank, one of the few that I feel actually do work lol.

C5Chad
02/28/2017, 05:30 AM
Is there a shrimp I can get that doesn't run the risk of possibly killing a fish or other invertebrates? I don't want to wake up in the morning and find that something got ahold of one of my fish while they were sleeping or something and attacked it.

Or do I not have to worry about that with shrimp?

sde1500
02/28/2017, 07:15 AM
Is there a shrimp I can get that doesn't run the risk of possibly killing a fish or other invertebrates? I don't want to wake up in the morning and find that something got ahold of one of my fish while they were sleeping or something and attacked it.

Or do I not have to worry about that with shrimp?

Cleaner, peppermint, blood/fire. None will go after fish. As for a clean up crew, I bought one of those packs on Reef Cleaners. Year later, all but 1 snail is dead. I don't see the value in it. I think a good pack is maybe a few cerith snails for nooks and crannies, fighting conch for the sand bed, and an urchin for the heavy duty algae eating. Some scarlet hermits to pick at things as well.

C5Chad
02/28/2017, 09:44 AM
Cleaner, peppermint, blood/fire. None will go after fish. As for a clean up crew, I bought one of those packs on Reef Cleaners. Year later, all but 1 snail is dead. I don't see the value in it. I think a good pack is maybe a few cerith snails for nooks and crannies, fighting conch for the sand bed, and an urchin for the heavy duty algae eating. Some scarlet hermits to pick at things as well.

Thanks for that advice!!!

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can find the Caribbean scarlet cleaner shrimp? Lysmata grabhami?? Was looking around online and saw it and it sounded perfect but can't find it for sale anywhere.