PDA

View Full Version : Is this a problem?

Bill Nye
02/28/2017, 10:18 AM
I have a deep blue sea 50 gallon aquarium thats been set up for about a year and a half. It has black silicone but over time parts of the seam have been changing color.

Some areas towards the top are turning yellow and seemingly brittle. Towards the bottom it looks like the silicone furthest from the seam is either turning clear or disappearing?

Should I start looking into a replacement tank?

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r394/lhockey1/IMG_3065_zps1q1molfj.jpg (http://s353.photobucket.com/user/lhockey1/media/IMG_3065_zps1q1molfj.jpg.html)

mcgyvr
02/28/2017, 11:08 AM
Thats just the inner seal isn't it and not the main structural seal?
If so I wouldn't worry about it and one could simply redo that if you wanted vs going to a new tank..

The inner seal provides little if any structural support.. Its more to protect the main seal I believe..

jmf305
02/28/2017, 02:47 PM
I'm having the same problem, interested in what people have to say.

Bill Nye
02/28/2017, 05:19 PM
Mine is getting progessivley worse over time. I was just messing around in the tank and I rubbed the bottom part of the silicone that looks like its disappearing and part of it came off onto my finger.

In the picture, the border of the yellow discoloration is a cm from the seam itself.

Vinny Kreyling
02/28/2017, 05:58 PM
This will happen to the best of us it's a normal thing with cleaning the glass.

AaaRr
02/28/2017, 10:47 PM
My tank has this too and has been up for over three years without any issues. I just try not to clean too much near it or it pulls more silicone off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bill Nye
03/01/2017, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the replies.

I'm glad that there is no imminent threat of a flood in my near future, but I don't think I'm going to risk it plus its ugly to look at.

I have a rimless tank with the same dimensions as an ada120p that I had to take apart to replace a broken panel sitting in the basement. It was going to be my next planted tank but I think this will provide some motivation to get that put together to replace this one.

ca1ore
03/01/2017, 10:20 AM
Is the tank 1 1/2 years old or did you buy it used then? If the former, then the tank has many years of life left to it.

Bill Nye
03/01/2017, 10:57 AM
Is the tank 1 1/2 years old or did you buy it used then? If the former, then the tank has many years of life left to it.

I bought it new. I honestly hate this tank because of the stand. I bought the deep blue sea 50 gallon and matching stand without seeing it first and when I got it home I realized the stand design is terrible. I learned alot about what I dont like in a stand so I'm going to make my own for the 120p.

AaaRr
03/01/2017, 11:03 AM
Having a stand that I liked made a big difference to me. Personally I do not like to lean down to look into my tank. I made the stand tall and I now have a lot off room under the tank and nothing is cramped.

Bill Nye
03/01/2017, 11:37 AM
Having a stand that I liked made a big difference to me. Personally I do not like to lean down to look into my tank. I made the stand tall and I now have a lot off room under the tank and nothing is cramped.

This was actually my first stand with a sump since all my previous tanks were nanos so I didn't know what to look for. The worst part about this stand is it has a huge partition down the center and two small doors so access to the sump is awful.

AaaRr
03/01/2017, 12:15 PM
This was actually my first stand with a sump since all my previous tanks were nanos so I didn't know what to look for. The worst part about this stand is it has a huge partition down the center and two small doors so access to the sump is awful.
I feel like I had the exact same stand your are describing. Sounds like you know what you want in a stand now.