PDA

View Full Version : CadLights 70G build

navychief
02/28/2017, 03:28 PM
Hey reefers,

I wanted to pay forward to those reading this forum that intend to purchase and build their first aquarium setup or those planning to upgrade. I've used this forum to get all kinds of ideas by looking at the pictures alone. Reef Central rocks for that reason alone.

I broke down my 60G Solana after I decided moving to my basement (and off the wood floor entry) would be the best solution. I've had my sump in the basement ever since the Solana was set up, so the move wasn't too bad.

Let me start by saying that the people at Cadlights are awesome. I can say that they were quick to respond to all my questions and ready to help correct anything I found as a shortcoming; that I will get to later.

So here we go. This is the CadLights 70G with Skimmer and sump. Purchased through Marine Depot...

The tank was well protected. The stand, sump, sump light, skimmer, and glass top were all drop shipped in a single box.

Tomorrow I will show the stand being built. It did not come with instructions (not really needed) but CadLights emailed the instructions as soon as I asked!

CafeReef
03/01/2017, 08:59 AM
great size tank, I like the footprint. I wish I would have gone just that much larger. Next tank

navychief
03/01/2017, 05:13 PM
The cabinet was packed really well with plenty of padding in between sections to prevent damage/scratching. The cabinet is painted 'piano key white'. I believe it is an acrylic paint since it is has a nice shine and smooth surface...

Continued tomorrow.

Vdubin00
03/02/2017, 09:48 PM
Hopefully the front panel doesn't blow off ,,
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532303

Not trying to scare you ,, but you MUST ,, I repeat MUST get a copy of the warranty of this tank just in case I know it's not 400 gallons ,, but that kind of blow out would suck not matter the size just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navychief
03/06/2017, 02:47 PM
Hopefully the front panel doesn't blow off ,,
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532303

Not trying to scare you ,, but you MUST ,, I repeat MUST get a copy of the warranty of this tank just in case I know it's not 400 gallons ,, but that kind of blow out would suck not matter the size just FYI

Oh $hit man! Geezuz.

navychief
03/06/2017, 03:45 PM
So here is the stand being put together. All of the parts fit very nicely and with no overlaps or blemishes. The only item that had to be drilled was the center support arm. I do not believe the I-beam provides any support, but more for the doors to close against.

The screws have nice vinyl caps that insert into the Philips head. These get added (not shown) after being tightened down.

More to come later...

Vdubin00
03/06/2017, 09:45 PM
Totally digging that stand !!!

navychief
03/07/2017, 11:18 AM
Totally digging that stand !!!

So after seeing those pictures, I contacted CAD for their warranty. Not sure why I didn't ask in the first place. But none-the-less they told me two years and as long as I purchased the tank with their stand. It does make sense to me since they cannot possibly be held laible for a tank stand that isn't carefully designed in consideration of their many tank footprints.

One thing I did notice in the pictures was the use of clear silicon. I will say that all of the better quality tanks seem to use the black silicon/RTV...IMO

Vdubin00
03/07/2017, 11:25 AM
So after seeing those pictures, I contacted CAD for their warranty. Not sure why I didn't ask in the first place. But none-the-less they told me two years and as long as I purchased the tank with their stand. It does make sense to me since they cannot possibly be held laible for a tank stand that isn't carefully designed in consideration of their many tank footprints.

One thing I did notice in the pictures was the use of clear silicon. I will say that all of the better quality tanks seem to use the black silicon/RTV...IMO

That was another thing I noticed too you see big chucks of that silicone still attached to the glass !! Most all rimless tanks use RTV for strength and silicone for waterproofing !!
Well good to hear they have your back tho !! Good looking build bro !!!

juniorrocketdad
03/07/2017, 01:19 PM
I have the same tank but with a black stand, for me having to cut the black mat that goes under the tank was a pain to get right, also the hose that attaches to my return pump never has a good fit so the water flow rate from the sump to the display has been reduced dramatically

Later I'll post a picture of it today, it is still quite a young tank but if you have any questions about the terrible instructions or anything I'd be happy to help

blazzing_ray
03/10/2017, 09:27 AM
I orded same tank last month wish I can say the same about customer service.. shipped first tank with r&l they had a problem with them r&l said tank not moving so shipped another ups fright had to call off work for the delivery. Glass canopy is just glass no clips was told I would receive touch up paint for the doors never received any and have not answering emails or returning calls been emailing them past 2 weeks every day not 1 response

blazzing_ray
03/10/2017, 09:30 AM
And for them to answer phone forget about it and for plumbing I got every thing from lowes to convert to usa size

juniorrocketdad
03/10/2017, 05:16 PM
Mine came fine so luckily I haven't had to deal with customer service, I replaced the lid with a brs screen lid since te glass one was not going to do
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170310/1953b0073f80741e5568c9e005fdd1c7.jpg

ncaldwell
03/10/2017, 08:36 PM
That looks like a horrible case of dinoflagellets you got there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

juniorrocketdad
03/11/2017, 09:34 AM
That looks like a horrible case of dinoflagellets you got there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's not, it was a mix of hair algae and some other type of algae that is much less common, the other algae spread like wildfire in the beginning but originally it was green and it is seriously starting to die back, I didn't cure the rock so some algae was to be expected

JamesFWB
03/11/2017, 06:57 PM
poor tank! I would be moving the corals to another tank and letting all that rock take a sun bath.

juniorrocketdad
03/11/2017, 08:16 PM
poor tank! I would be moving the corals to another tank and letting all that rock take a sun bath.

Ik it looks bad but the algae is dieing back, I had no clean up crew until recently so that wasn't helping but my nitrates and phosphates are undetectable

Odysi
03/17/2017, 06:47 PM
They are undetectable because the algae is consuming it.

Darthv247
03/18/2017, 02:53 AM
looks more like cyano on algae in the pics. must always cure rock if its not already in purchase. good luck. hope it clears up.