PDA

View Full Version : Photon V2 vs. Aquasanrise?

MonkeyClaw
02/28/2017, 04:55 PM
I'm looking for a set of LED's for my new 150g build. I see the Photon V2 and the Aquasanrise, and I can't tell which one I should go with.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Ron Reefman
03/01/2017, 05:19 AM
Have you tried reading the descriptions of each?

From a quick read:
1) the AS has WiFi the V2 doesn't
2) the AS can swap out leds easy, the V2 requires tools and soldering skills
3) the AS is more expensive

And I'm surprised that I didn't see in the Aquasanrise description anything about sunrise/sunset/moonlight ability or how many channels of color control? I assume it has both, but I didn't see either listed. And does the Aquasanrise ramp smoothly or in bumps on the hour like the V2?

MonkeyClaw
03/01/2017, 02:33 PM
Yes, I read through them both. I thought I saw the V2 had an Android app which made me think it also had WiFi but reading over it again, I'm not seeing either :) I like WiFi, but it seems like generally people don't mess around a lot with their system after getting it set unless they are tinkering.

As for swapping LEDs, I haven't seen anyone complain about failed LEDs in the V2 so that's not a huge concern. I haven't seen any discussion of the Aquasanrise anywhere, so it's hard to know how they are doing 'in the wild.'

Thanks!
Tim

jason2459
03/01/2017, 07:26 PM
I was looking at both just recently and decided to go with the photon v2. Mainly because I liked the LED brands and spectrum that came with the Photon v2. I'm not a fan of epileds. Those deep violets will burn out quick. I would rather the deep red 660 of the photon v2 over the 630 which hits the PUR better. I also liked the photon v2 had two channels at 5 watts.

The aquasanrise is nice that you can swap out the leds and will most likely need too... plus the photon v2 is slightly cheaper [emoji4]

ChrisRD
03/01/2017, 07:36 PM
I got the AS Plus R90 to put over a 36" 65 gallon tank. I have no experience with the V2 but the WiFi and app for the AS fixture makes it really easy to program and customize with my android phone. It has six channels that are independently controlled to adjust spectrum. The app also has some preset programs for "LPS" and "SPS". I actually have the red and green channels off because I don't like the look with them on. I have mine programmed for dawn/dusk and run blues at 2% for a couple of hours for moonlight. Not sure if that helps...

Reef_Breeders
03/02/2017, 06:12 PM
I was looking at both just recently and decided to go with the photon v2. Mainly because I liked the LED brands and spectrum that came with the Photon v2. I'm not a fan of epileds. Those deep violets will burn out quick. I would rather the deep red 660 of the photon v2 over the 630 which hits the PUR better. I also liked the photon v2 had two channels at 5 watts.

The aquasanrise is nice that you can swap out the leds and will most likely need too... plus the photon v2 is slightly cheaper [emoji4]

Hey Jason,

The EpiLEDs aren't the cheap black box LEDs you are thinking of, they are SMT diodes with the same solder footprint as the Cree XT-E.

Reef_Breeders
03/02/2017, 06:13 PM
Have you tried reading the descriptions of each?

From a quick read:
1) the AS has WiFi the V2 doesn't
2) the AS can swap out leds easy, the V2 requires tools and soldering skills
3) the AS is more expensive

And I'm surprised that I didn't see in the Aquasanrise description anything about sunrise/sunset/moonlight ability or how many channels of color control? I assume it has both, but I didn't see either listed. And does the Aquasanrise ramp smoothly or in bumps on the hour like the V2?

Hey Ron,

The App has ramping between steps, and there is more flexibility with the programming since it is an app with a full suite of features. Plus you can program a basic sunrise and sunset on the front of the unit, no phone required.

It's just a step up for those who prefer the extra tech, plus it's pretty cool to program the light using your phone!

jason2459
03/02/2017, 06:49 PM
Hey Jason,

The EpiLEDs aren't the cheap black box LEDs you are thinking of, they are SMT diodes with the same solder footprint as the Cree XT-E.
But are they Cree ;)

Reef_Breeders
03/02/2017, 06:50 PM
But are they Cree ;)

If Cree made a violet I would be all over that haha

jason2459
03/02/2017, 06:53 PM
If Cree made a violet I would be all over that haha
No doubt. I'm absolutely loving the photon v2 fixtures. The way the lights are laid out its like they were made to have two rows of them.

mindi
03/21/2017, 07:59 PM
No doubt. I'm absolutely loving the photon v2 fixtures. The way the lights are laid out its like they were made to have two rows of them.

Jason

I am just asking exactly the same question about which to choose. I know nothing about the colour spectrum issues... I love the Wifi control of my Coral Box doser, but the corals dont know how i am controlling the lights. You seem to be saying you prefer the LED setup of the V2 over the Sanrise..? Can you expand at all on that in words of one syllable..? ...and whats the story on mauve,..?

jason2459
03/21/2017, 09:12 PM
Jason

I am just asking exactly the same question about which to choose. I know nothing about the colour spectrum issues... I love the Wifi control of my Coral Box doser, but the corals dont know how i am controlling the lights. You seem to be saying you prefer the LED setup of the V2 over the Sanrise..? Can you expand at all on that in words of one syllable..? ...and whats the story on mauve,..?
Photon V2 uses the same kind of high quality LEDs as name brand LED fixtures.

Aquasanrise uses the same type of LEDs one would expect from a black box fixture.

Very simplified. I do really like how the Aquasanrise can very easily swap out the LEDs and the smartphone control might be a nice touch for some people.

The LED selection for the Photon V2 won me over and the simplicity of a basic remote to set the lighting was way more then enough control for me.

mindi
03/21/2017, 11:58 PM
Jason
I have opened by claiming no spectrum/light physics knowledge but just reading the literature I can see that with the Sanrise 84 of the 96 LEDs are Cree and 12 are Epiled which are Taiwanese rather than mainland...so whatever grounds we might dismiss Sanrise on I dont think LED brand is it. If the 12 Epileds drop dead in 2 years then presumably you can just plug in some replacements.
I suspect I am trying to differentiate between two equally good/very good lights and it actually doesnt matter.

Ron Reefman
03/22/2017, 05:03 AM
I suspect I am trying to differentiate between two equally good/very good lights and it actually doesn't matter.

mindi, I think you are right on the money. I have two V2 fixtures and if Logan had made a sales pitch for the Aquasanrise I very likely would have considered a switch. Especially since I have 2 over 2 tanks and I'd like them to run different programs, one is cool white over a reef and the other a warm white over a display refugium. It can be done, but it's a giant PITA. So when I want to showoff how the corals fluoresce under the manual setting which I run at 100% blues & violets, both fixtures change and it's again, a PITA to reset them. I suspect I wouldn't have the same problems with the Aquasanrise fixtures.

But all that said, the V2 is one hell of a nice fixture for the price. Good leds, good mix of colors, 6 channel control, crazy good looking case (so slim!) and at a price point other manufacturers just don't seem to want to compete with.

jason2459
03/22/2017, 06:08 AM
Jason
I have opened by claiming no spectrum/light physics knowledge but just reading the literature I can see that with the Sanrise 84 of the 96 LEDs are Cree and 12 are Epiled which are Taiwanese rather than mainland...so whatever grounds we might dismiss Sanrise on I dont think LED brand is it. If the 12 Epileds drop dead in 2 years then presumably you can just plug in some replacements.
I suspect I am trying to differentiate between two equally good/very good lights and it actually doesnt matter.
Doesn't mater where they are made. Cree are top of the game. Plus its not just the Cree selection. When looking at other top higher end fixtures when you look at what brand LEDs they use for reds its Osram and when looking at the deep violet range they use Semi.

Looking at the LEDs individually one would see 0 difference between the Photon V2 and a fixture costing 3 times as much and more.

As for EpiLED they are considered better then bridgelux and are a great value LED so I have no complaints about the Aquasanrise and it has some very nice features that could justify it being about $100 more then the Photon v2 but didn't to me.

mindi
03/22/2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone very helpful

RegalAngel
03/22/2017, 12:26 PM
I got the AS Plus R90 to put over a 36" 65 gallon tank. I have no experience with the V2 but the WiFi and app for the AS fixture makes it really easy to program and customize with my android phone. It has six channels that are independently controlled to adjust spectrum. The app also has some preset programs for "LPS" and "SPS". I actually have the red and green channels off because I don't like the look with them on. I have mine programmed for dawn/dusk and run blues at 2% for a couple of hours for moonlight. Not sure if that helps...

From another thread in 2015:

"Timers
Pros: You can set up as many as you want (tried with 15 so far)
Cons: Timers work different from any light I have tested so far. If you set 10 AM 20% and 12pm 100%, almost all the leds I have tested increase gradually from 10 to 12. This lamp does not do that. if you have the intenisty in 0%, at 10am it will increase the intensity from 0% to 20% in 5 or 10 minutes, at arround 10:10 you will have 20% and will stay that way until 12PM, and at 12 pm to 12:10pm will go from 20% to 100%. I do not like that so much. But since you have multiple timers, you need to get use to that way. But I thing is very negative for my taste."

Interested in the Aquasanrise Plus R90....BUT
is the Timer still like this...not a gradual ramp up in sunrise?

Also, is hourly the smallest time segment?

mindi
03/22/2017, 01:26 PM
Anyone able to access the product details on the website...?

jason2459
03/22/2017, 01:28 PM
Anyone able to access the product details on the website...?

Nope...

Maybe the SuperNova is coming out... :wildone:

mindi
03/22/2017, 01:29 PM
lol

RegalAngel
03/22/2017, 03:28 PM
Hey Ron,

The App has ramping between steps, and there is more flexibility with the programming since it is an app with a full suite of features. Plus you can program a basic sunrise and sunset on the front of the unit, no phone required.

It's just a step up for those who prefer the extra tech, plus it's pretty cool to program the light using your phone!

Perhaps you can answer this ?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25015434&postcount=17

PM SENT!!!

mindi
03/22/2017, 03:46 PM
Anyone got the website working yet..?

RegalAngel
03/22/2017, 04:28 PM
Sanrise Aquasanrise Plus lights:

http://www.aquasanrise.com/ProductsLED.asp?ADD=SanriseProductsFiles/SaltWater/AquaSanrisePlus.html

Amazing APP control video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jB3cyNjqos

Ron Reefman
03/22/2017, 04:44 PM
To be perfectly honest, IMHO, even the bump of power, or ramp, on an hourly basis is just fine. Why does anybody need better than that? Your corals and fish could care less about the whole sunrise/sunset ability in the first place. And unless you are watching your tank at the top of the hour, you never see the bump anyway. I just think needing smoother ramp is a silly requirement. I realize others may disagree, but I'd ask them to explain the need for smoother sunrise/sunset. Is it just that it upsets your esoteric values?

RegalAngel
03/22/2017, 05:21 PM
For my 300g Fish Only system with T5 lights it is a rather harsh wake-up call when the timer flips the switch on those lights. Even though I have just a few bulbs running early on, I thought as I change to a led light setup it would be more natural to more closely mimic nature IF that is possible with current technology.
I think my fish...no corals present...and I will like it compared to the alternative.....JMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
03/23/2017, 04:16 AM
I had MH and t5's before I had leds and understand the feeling that a more 'gentle' wake up call would be welcome by you and the fish.

When my lights start the dawn with 1% on a blue channel it's very gentle. And an hour later it goes up to 10%. The bump is obvious if you are watching, especially a 1% to 10% bump. But it's nothing like actinic blue t5 fluorescents kicking on or an hour later the white t5 or MH coming on. And later in the day a 10% or 20% bump from say 60% to 70% or 80% in the led fixture is really only noticed if you are looking at the tank when it happens. And even then, it kind of like the chime on a nice clock telling you it's the top of the hour. It's not harsh at all. The ability to do a gradually change such that you never see it is a nice feature, but at what cost and is it really worth it?

jason2459
03/23/2017, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure if I'm doinig it right but I have a gradual change on the hour from 9am to midnight. I don't have like 20% jumps or anything anywhere close to it.

Granted I do have double the LEDs but even so I'm only jumping a couple % at a time so even if I doubled it I wouldn't be anywhere close to a 15% jump.

I also do have a T5 strip that comes on at 12:30 and off at 8:30 which gives the biggest jump and drop in brightness. That is very noticable. Unless I'm actually watching right on the hour I can barely tell the difference from say 2:58 and 3:01pm.

I think Ron told someone else to just look away for a minute on the hour... :beachbum:

Ron Reefman
03/23/2017, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure if I'm doinig it right but I have a gradual change on the hour from 9am to midnight. I don't have like 20% jumps or anything anywhere close to it.

Granted I do have double the LEDs but even so I'm only jumping a couple % at a time so even if I doubled it I wouldn't be anywhere close to a 15% jump.

I think Ron told someone else to just look away for a minute on the hour... :beachbum:

Hey, I chuckle and say to my wife, "It's the top of the hour." But that only happens a few times a day at most.

And most of my changes are 5% or 10% bumps. But I'm starting at 1% up to 90% and back down to 1% over 15 hours.

kissman
03/23/2017, 03:55 PM
My Photon has been running for 5 years no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef_Breeders
03/24/2017, 08:56 AM
Perhaps you can answer this ?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25015434&postcount=17

PM SENT!!!

That thread is old- they ramp very gradually between points. You can set between 3 and 24 ramping points throughout the day, and you can set the ramping points time to the minute.

RegalAngel
03/24/2017, 08:58 AM
WOW!

Looks like the Aqua SanRise Plus can RAMP UP/DOWN .......to the minute...24 steps.

PERFECT

Just in from Logan:

The thread you quoted is incorrect, they ramp gradually between steps. You can set up to 24 steps a day, at any time you want, down to the minute.

Reef Breeders LLC

jason2459
03/24/2017, 09:00 AM
WOW!

Looks like the Aqua SanRise Plus can RAMP UP/DOWN .......to the minute...24 steps.

PERFECT

Just in from Logan:

The thread you quoted is incorrect, they ramp gradually between steps. You can set up to 24 steps a day, at any time you want, down to the minute.

Reef Breeders LLC

lol yeah, his post is just before yours

RegalAngel
03/24/2017, 09:03 AM
lol yeah, his post is just before yours

Yeah, Logan replied to several PMs to him from me about the Aqua SanRise Plus fixture.

I quoted his first....his post is a second.

Bob

Ron Reefman
03/25/2017, 05:09 AM

When did the Aquasanrise Plus get released? It has the better leds. No big hoopla or formal announcement? If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the Aquasanrise.

jason2459
03/25/2017, 06:56 AM
When did the Aquasanrise Plus get released? It has the better leds. No big hoopla or formal announcement? If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the Aquasanrise.
I'm not sure which came out first. I would say the Photon V2 has the better LEDs but the Aquasanrise has the better control and ease of swapping out individual LEDs. If there's an issue with one of the LEDs on the photon v2 one could try and replace the LED but it seems challenging or what I would do is just replace the individual board with several on there.

To me the control is not important as much as it was just getting the green and red on a separate channel which both do and the better LED which IMO the Photon V2 has so that won me over.

Both have good support behind them with Reefbreeders.

Reef_Breeders
03/25/2017, 10:47 AM

Hey Ron,

They came out in July, I posted a thread about them. They aren't ReefBreeders branded, which is why I think they are talked about less than the V2s.

richiero
04/07/2017, 07:38 AM
I have been talking with Reef Breeders and we are trying to get Aquasanrise to incorporate remote access into the aquasanrise fixtures so the light can be controlled when your on vacation and the such. I do that currently with my DIY leds connected to my apex. I bought the R 90's for my 140 upgrade and i would love if this can done.

mindi
04/10/2017, 02:40 AM
Someone was asking about LAN connection...it was straightfoerward, just click on the network connnection icon on the timer etc page...and it asks for your router password then connects. Then you ensure your phone is connected to your LAN and not the doser and the app just talks to the doser over the LAN

gurumasta
06/04/2017, 07:47 PM
My brain is hurting trying to decide between the V2 or the Aquasanrise. Any updated input on these two? I am supplementing with 4 x 54 T5.

Thanks!

mindi
06/04/2017, 07:51 PM
Well I can only say I am very happy with my Aquasanrise 120 supplemented by nothing...but really doubt if you would experience any real difference between the two. The App and wifi control of the Aquasanrise is good.

Ron Reefman
06/05/2017, 05:18 AM
My brain is hurting trying to decide between the V2 or the Aquasanrise. Any updated input on these two? I am supplementing with 4 x 54 T5.

Thanks!

Have you tried listing the pros & cons of each? I mean actually listed them both on a sheet of paper?

I just looked at the 32" V2 vs the 36" Aquasanrise and they both have 72 leds made by the quality suppliers. So both are quality fixtures.

The V2 is currently on sale for $100 less than the R90. But that's about the only advantage unless you want the remote control (I like it better than the wifi, but hey, that's just me). And the remote has a short battery charge (more than your smart phone but less than your TV remote). I ended up getting a plug-in USB port and keep my remote plugged in all the time when I'm not using it.

The R90 has leds that are easy to replace, in pucks that are easy to remove. It has the wifi (if you like that kind of thing).

I personally don't run the red or green channels on my V2 because I don't like the red & green shadow edges and to a lesser extent, the red and green in the shimmer (disco effect). Some/many people aren't bothered by that. If I had bought the R90 I'd be able to swap out the red & green leds and still run all 72 led, the new ones being whatever color I wanted (probably blue or true UV under 400nm if they are available). Not having an R90, I don't know, but it's possible that you could do red, green and blue leds in a single puck and they would be close enough together to blend into a white? Think TV leds where they use RGB technology.

For me the cost issue isn't a big deal. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go for the Aquasanrise. I could deal with the wifi and I like the idea of being able to change out leds. Both systems are bit more white biased than I would like. I run my V2 at 40% white and 90% on both blue channels. I'd replace enough white leds so I'd end up running all 3 channels at roughly the same power (I'm guessing that would be between 70% and 75%.

But that's all just my opinion and I've never seen an Aquasanrise in person.

Hope that helps?

gurumasta
06/05/2017, 06:55 AM
Thank you guys for the replies! I am leaning towards the Sanrise due to the controllability and versatility in LED selection. Thanks again!

JimON
06/12/2017, 07:54 AM

Thanks!
Hi gurumasta. On Saturday I received the V2. It was packed incredibly well, and is impressive when turned on. I don't have anything in my tank yet, as still doing the build, but I am very pleased with the first impression of the V2.:beer: