PDA

View Full Version : Rust in tank from powerhead magnet?

steallife904
03/01/2017, 09:35 AM
Over the last few months I have had some issues with the tank that have caused me to lose a number of corals... some colony's I have had for 10 years. Part 1 of the issues was overdosing ALK back in October. Also had a baby in October so I slacked on the tank for a bit. I have gotten all my levels as far as calc and alk and mag back to where I kept them in the past but still have some issue. I got a few tester corals (acro, couple montis) and all but one slowly bleached and died. Trying to run through different things to see what my issue is I noticed while cleaning one of my powerheads that on the wet side magnet there was rust coming through, about the diameter of a pencil eraser.... Could this be part of the issue??? I have contacted the company and they will send me a new magnet but just wondering if this hurt anything.

Just some info- Salinity 1.026 with refractometer, mag 1450, calc 480, alk 8.2, nitrate 0, ammonia 0, phosphate 0. Run LEDs and t5s, feed somewhat heavy once a day with Rods or Larrys frozen and some pellets mixed in. Have a doser that doses calc alk and mag. I also add about 5mml 2x a week of ammino acids (acro power and reef fuel).

ca1ore
03/01/2017, 10:25 AM
I think it's unlikely. May want to run a polyfilter just in case. Figure anyone running GFO has 'rust' in their tanks :)

mcgyvr
03/01/2017, 11:25 AM
I agree..
More than likely not an issue..
There was a thread on here about a TLF magnet clip rusting issues and many believed thats the only reason their tank/corals gave up the ghost.. But that is just speculation..

I just noticed my cheapo (top fin crap) cleaner magnet was exposed/rusting.. No problems in the tank from what I could tell.. All corals were doing fine.. Its probably been like that for weeks to months.. (But I replaced it just in case with a new mag-float)..

kurt_n
03/01/2017, 09:54 PM
I've had multiple issues of magnetic clips I use inside the tank swelling and "leaking" into the tank before I've noticed it. I've never had any issues with tank health.