PDA

View Full Version : Feeding....

TokiHacker
03/01/2017, 03:39 PM
What live things do you feed your mantis that isn't too expensive?

How often do you feed them?

MMacro
03/01/2017, 04:16 PM
I have a bunch of tiny snails that I throw in my wenneraes tank. I pull them from my lfs and friends tanks.
He eats them whenever he gets hungry or whenever they get too close to his burrow. I also sometimes pick up ghost shrimp whenever they are in stock at my lfs. They are super cheap.

deleau
03/01/2017, 07:58 PM
I buy cheap snail/hermit from the LFS and let them clean up any waste he leaves around, then they become food themselves whenever he's hungry.

One LFS also knows I have him and donates any oddballs they get to "Thunderdome" (i.e. Gorilla crabs, odd/unknown hermits, etc.)

Jlentz
03/01/2017, 08:19 PM
My Lfs sells me really cheap cuc if he knows they are going in the mantis tank. I restock snails and blue leg hermits every month or two.

Also frozen clams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbitworm13
03/01/2017, 08:44 PM
I feed frozen piscine energetics pe mysis and I'm going to start adding squid and frozen clams. Lrs chunky would be great with a bit of work. Also add selcon to frozen food for more nutrients, mainly HUFA

Bobbitworm13
03/01/2017, 08:45 PM
Oh you wanted live food suggestions lol

TokiHacker
03/02/2017, 02:32 PM
See the LFS in my area won't do that so I am paying either 10 for 10 on hermits (which he wipes out in one sitting), or 3.99 for snails he wipes two a day. That can add up!

I also will occasionally do a silverslide or I have clams on a halfshell, but I like to have him use his smashers so he doesn't get use to not using them and gets lazy.

Bobbitworm13
03/03/2017, 05:47 AM
I think they use the smashers for burrowing into rock as much as anything.

TokiHacker
03/03/2017, 08:04 AM
I think they use the smashers for burrowing into rock as much as anything.

scampi doesn't really burrow into rock. he dug a hole in the sand under a rock.

nmotz
03/03/2017, 09:32 AM
Live ghost shrimp are pretty cheap, you can usually get 5-6 for $1. I buy about 10 and feed 2 right away. The others I put into a bucket for storage and feed 1/day until they are gone. I drop in one or two drops of Seachem (to neutralize ammonia) and aerate the water in the bucket twice a day by scooping up the water and dropping it back into the bucket. The ghost shrimp survive at least a week that way.

Live brine shrimp are also really well appreciated by mantis shrimp IME. I get a 1/2 oz order and put them in a bucket with a drop or two of Selcon (a vitamin supplement) and one drop of Seachem. As above, I aerate the water twice a day and they live for 4-5 days. A brine shrimp order usually costs about $2.

It depends on what I'm feeding, but for my mantis (a Peacock) I feed a small portion about every other day. If I feed her a large clam or something I'll wait 2-3 days before I feed again. It also depends on the species. I had a Neogonodactylus Oerstedii (very similar to a Wennerae) that ate 2-3 small snails per day. I just threw tons of them into his tiny 2g tank and he would hunt all day.

Jlentz
03/05/2017, 01:52 PM
See the LFS in my area won't do that so I am paying either 10 for 10 on hermits (which he wipes out in one sitting), or 3.99 for snails he wipes two a day. That can add up!

I also will occasionally do a silverslide or I have clams on a halfshell, but I like to have him use his smashers so he doesn't get use to not using them and gets lazy.

Have you asked him about buying them 50 at a time or more? That's usually how I get hermits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SantaMonica
04/07/2017, 05:15 PM
Nice variety of feeding idea. I guess nobody cultures food, because the high volume needed.

TokiHacker
04/13/2017, 09:44 AM
What I have done is bought freshwater clams and freeze them.

erndog1001
04/17/2017, 06:28 PM
What I have done is bought freshwater clams and freeze them.

Your shrimp eats these?Bc I feed these to my fish But never thought of trying to feed them to my shrimp

erndog1001
04/17/2017, 06:30 PM
I have a large Peacock that I feed whatever crab or shrimp my LFS happens to have fairly cheap I have fed:
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Various Snails
Strawberry Crabs
Emerald Crabs
I'm sure this list is incomplete But that's all I can think of atm

nmotz
04/17/2017, 08:00 PM
I have a large Peacock that I feed whatever crab or shrimp my LFS happens to have fairly cheap I have fed:
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Various Snails
Strawberry Crabs
Emerald Crabs
I'm sure this list is incomplete But that's all I can think of atm

That's good to keep the diet diverse like that. I've fed most of those same specimens to my Peacock as well and I think it helps them stay healthy and avoid shell rot and other diseases. I mix up the live food days with frozen food morsels soaked in Selcon for added nutrition.

Hadla
04/18/2017, 11:34 AM
My chiragra usually gets live margarita snails or pieces of shrimp or scallop or a cube of squid

TokiHacker
04/18/2017, 12:20 PM
My chiragra usually gets live margarita snails or pieces of shrimp or scallop or a cube of squid

mine gets a lot of live snails and hermits but when I cant make it out to the LFS I will get him these. Live clams from Publix and just freeze them.

Hadla
04/18/2017, 05:21 PM
Yeah I buy the raw shrimp and scallops, cut them up and freeze them. I'd get clams but they're so big :/ like almost the size of her lol