PDA

View Full Version : Salinity question.

aquamann183
03/01/2017, 05:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/7c5712e614917809079b9b04ce0cf57e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/b71044173518972557eccfc60f107190.jpg

Refractometer is ATC brand.

Which do I trust? Two completely different numbers.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CindyK
03/01/2017, 05:09 PM
I've never used a hydrometer but when did you last calibrate the refractometer?

aquamann183
03/01/2017, 05:16 PM
I've never used a hydrometer but when did you last calibrate the refractometer?

I never have, just tried using it today. How do I calibrate? I thought it was supposed to come with a solution or something.

ALLIDOISREEF
03/01/2017, 05:19 PM
I would trust the refractometer over a hydrometer. As long as its been calibrated.

aquamann183
03/01/2017, 05:20 PM
I would trust the refractometer over a hydrometer. As long as its been calibrated.
Has not been calibrated. I will have to look into how I go about doing that.

minus9
03/01/2017, 05:28 PM
Buy some calibration fluid (35ppt) and calibrate the refractometer. Hydrometers can never be trusted.

toddarcham
03/01/2017, 07:51 PM
You can just use distilled water on some refractometers and set to 0 by turning the little screw on top.

aquamann183
03/01/2017, 07:53 PM
You can just use distilled water on some refractometers and set to 0 by turning the little screw on top.
Can I use my rodi water?

toddarcham
03/01/2017, 08:49 PM
Can I use my rodi water?

Pretty sure you can. The DI makes it pretty pure.

CarrieB
03/01/2017, 08:59 PM
You can use RO DI water, but the calibration won't be as accurate as using the calibration fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueGrown
03/01/2017, 09:01 PM
I've wondered this as well. Yes distilled will calibrate to 0, is this true for DI water as well?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Finland
03/01/2017, 09:24 PM
I would recommend buying some 35ppt calibration fluid and not using ro water. RO water is not a reliable way to calibrate a refractometer. Calibration fluid is cheap in relation to the rest of this hobby, so why risk it?

slief
03/01/2017, 09:25 PM
The Hydrometer is likely not accurate. They never are. Calibrating a refractometer with distilled water for our SG target levels isn't ideal and won't be very accurate. RODI will be less accurate. You should really use 35ppt refractometer calibration solution.

If you really want an accurate measurement with your refractometer, get yourself a bottle of this and keep it at room temperature.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_AccuraSea_Seawater_Reference_and_Calibration_Solution_Calibration_Fluid_Reagent-Two_Little_Fishies-TL50700-FITECL-vi.html

Ou8me2
03/01/2017, 10:17 PM
Yeah, you need salinity calibration fluid. However, I buy mine at BRS it's a lot cheaper. Once you get it calibrated with the solution you should be able to not worry but I do check once a month to make sure it's still on target where I want it to be salinity wise. You only need a couple drops and that small bottle will last a long time. If you buy the refractometer at BRS they include the calibration fluid which would be silly if you didn't actually need the calibration fluid. :D

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-craft-refractometer-calibration-fluid.html

aquamann183
03/01/2017, 10:20 PM
Okay, thank you all! Buying some fluid now!

slief
03/02/2017, 01:05 AM
Yeah, you need salinity calibration fluid. However, I buy mine at BRS it's a lot cheaper. Once you get it calibrated with the solution you should be able to not worry but I do check once a month to make sure it's still on target where I want it to be salinity wise. You only need a couple drops and that small bottle will last a long time. If you buy the refractometer at BRS they include the calibration fluid which would be silly if you didn't actually need the calibration fluid. :D

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-craft-refractometer-calibration-fluid.html

That is cheaper but it's also about 1/4 the volume (60ml) for about half the price. You get 4x as much (250ml) for about double the cost with the TLF stuff. Granted BRS does have free shipping even on smaller orders. I think I'd trust the TLF stuff to be a bit more accurate/consisnt simply becaue I trust Julian Sprung. I've had inconsistent results with some other calibrations solutions where 2 different bottles were different salinites despite both being 53ms. Those were PinPoint if I am not mistaken though.

Okay, thank you all! Buying some fluid now!

Good choice! You won't have to question your results anymore. :beer:

taricha
03/02/2017, 05:58 AM
Or...
1. Mix up your reference solution with table salt
" a solution of 3.714 weight percent sodium chloride has the same specific gravity (and density) as S=35 seawater, and can be used as an appropriate specific gravity standard "
To do this, 37.14g of salt into 962.86g of distilled water (total mass - 1000.0g)
From RHF (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php)
2. Mark the line where that salinity = 35 solution registers on your swing arm. (On my swing arm it's right below "32 ppt")
3. That line is your new target line.

Swing-arms aren't accurate, but they are pretty dang consistent, if you avoid bubbles.

Twoface14
03/02/2017, 11:41 AM
You also need to fill the hydrometer up to the fill line to get a more accurate reading. In your picture it is well below

aquamann183
03/02/2017, 02:41 PM
You also need to fill the hydrometer up to the fill line to get a more accurate reading. In your picture it is well below
You're right, I just did it quickly because I checked it earlier before that and already knew it was off before adding water to the hydrometer when I checked it.

What about the little things that you put in the water that floats at the certain specific gravity. Besides the fact that they're not the easiest to read, how accurate are those?

jason2459
03/02/2017, 03:16 PM
Or make your own calibration fluid which can be more reliable then a store bought calibration fluid.

Does your calibration solution need calibrated?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2583418

Using RO/DI or distilled water for many of the refractometers sold in this hobby will not work as many are not true seawater refractometers and will be off near the point we want to measure (~35ppt). Even with a true seawater refractometer like the veegee/vital sine or the milwakee digital that can be calibrated at 0 it's a good idea to use a 35ppt calibration fluid to double check accuracy near the point we want to measure.

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

ktownhero
03/02/2017, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't trust the hydrometer even if the refractometer is uncalibrated. Get that thing calibrated and toss the hydrometer. Seriously, toss it... :)

jason2459
03/02/2017, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't trust the hydrometer even if the refractometer is uncalibrated. Get that thing calibrated and toss the hydrometer. Seriously, toss it... :)

A swing arm hydrometer if matched and marked against a known point of reference at the right temp can be used just fine. In the end our corals can adapt to a wide range of salinity. Keeping salinity at a certain point near 35ppt is the best thing we can do but even if you think you're at 35ppt and you're say 34ppt or 36ppt you'll be just fine keeping it there.

Pick a method to test for salinity, pick a method to calibrate for near the point you want to keep, and pick a method to keep it there. Then keep that consistent.

and personally, I'm not a fan of swing arm hydrometers myself.