PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for filter socks

Chitownpw
03/05/2017, 10:20 AM
I use filter socks in my sump - one 14 inch sock tied to my down tube. I am getting sick of changing them out. What's an alternative to filter socks that are less maintenance? I know the socks provide some benefit so I don't just want to eliminate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bender19
03/05/2017, 12:12 PM
I use filter floss. Just throw it away every cluple days and replace. Very cheap on amazon. Some people use polyester pillow stuffing which is supposedly cheaper.

Only problem is you need an area that the water will travel through it. I have an aio so water travels via gravity through it.

roush08
03/05/2017, 12:27 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/automatic-roller-mat-theiling-1.html?gclid=CMGXuuH-v9ICFUY8gQodJVALFA

roush08
03/05/2017, 06:25 PM
Look at the rollermat.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
03/05/2017, 06:30 PM
Go no socks..

djbon
03/05/2017, 06:49 PM
Coffee strainer!. Effortless cleaning every 3 - 4 days. Doesn't clogged that fast even with dragon wrasse continuously stirring sand. Quick disconnect function and last for months without tearing. And it cheap, dirt cheap. Less than a USD1 and i have four in rotation. Might last for 2 years for me :D

ca1ore
03/05/2017, 09:14 PM
Go no socks..

Yep, that's my approach.

eder10986
03/05/2017, 11:27 PM
Yep, that's my approach.

+3

WLachnit
03/06/2017, 05:14 AM
I use filter floss. Just throw it away every cluple days and replace. Very cheap on amazon. Some people use polyester pillow stuffing which is supposedly cheaper.

Only problem is you need an area that the water will travel through it. I have an aio so water travels via gravity through it.

What is an AIO?

ca1ore
03/06/2017, 07:04 AM
All in one I'd imagine

Elricsfate
03/06/2017, 07:42 AM
For those that go "no socks", are you employing no mechanical filtration at all?

Personally, I don't have an issue swapping out socks.

sde1500
03/06/2017, 07:54 AM
For those that go "no socks", are you employing no mechanical filtration at all?

Personally, I don't have an issue swapping out socks.

Currently not running a sock, there is some building up happening in the sump bottom, but its a sump, so who cares? I added some Seachem matrix to the section my sock used to be in, should be a good spot for pods to populate and eat up a lot of that detritus.

ca1ore
03/06/2017, 10:44 AM
On purpose, no. The reality is that many things will function as a mechanica filter - skimmer, media reactors, even chaeto. While its intitially hard to combat the 'well look at all the stuff my socks removed' argument, it's not been my experience that mechanical filter do all that much in the long run.

mcgyvr
03/06/2017, 11:12 AM

Nope..
I like to keep everything in suspension in the water if possible so it has the greatest chance of being consumed by corals/fish/inverts,etc.... So no mechanical filtration for me at all..

There is very little visible "debris" in the water.. Only when my softies shed or something stirs up some sand..

Elricsfate
03/06/2017, 11:27 AM
Currently not running a sock, there is some building up happening in the sump bottom, but its a sump, so who cares? I added some Seachem matrix to the section my sock used to be in, should be a good spot for pods to populate and eat up a lot of that detritus.

This got some juices flowing. I will have to ponder this. Using that section of the sump as a fuge basically... hmmm.

Oeste
03/06/2017, 12:24 PM

Interesting, I might have a go at this.
How long have you gone with no socks?

Stolireef
03/06/2017, 01:23 PM
I think you can take a middle ground approach with socks. I like to run them once in a while, typically after a water change, to kind of polish the water It's also not a bad place to drop a bag of carbon once in a while. I don't think they hurt anything though.

MarkW64
03/06/2017, 03:51 PM
I think you can take a middle ground approach with socks. I like to run them once in a while, typically after a water change, to kind of polish the water .

This is what I do. I put a sock in place if there is more than the usual suspended in the water -- after a water change, etc. I don't like keeping it in place all the time -- largely because of all the pods I find trapped in it. Not to mention the occasional pistol shrimp etc.

matt1444
03/06/2017, 03:59 PM
Egg crate box and poly-fil for me. The poly-fil is super cheap and the egg rate keeps it contained without the worry of overflow issues. I toss and refill everyday. Easy pezzy and super cheap

sde1500
03/06/2017, 06:19 PM
Interesting, I might have a go at this.

How long have you gone with no socks?

8-10 months. The matrix was just added last week. But looking in my sump today I see pods and what may be some mysis shrimp. Hard to tell

duncanpate1
03/06/2017, 06:25 PM
I've been sock less for a couple of years cuz....
Hate having to change them weekly.
I figure the Chaeto is catching most of the big stuff.
I have a lot of SPS & feed cyclopeeze & reef roids, I figure that the pods etc In the sump appreciate the snacks!

windlasher
03/06/2017, 08:57 PM
I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-100-ft-Preloaded-Drain-Sleeve-34140-6/203092475

I cut off a 12" section and use a hot glue gun to close off one end but... I am a bit anal and you could just as well tie off one of the ends. I tie the open end around my drain pipe. Traps all the big stuff, the skimmer takes care of the rest of it. I throw them away but you could just as well wash them.

BlackTip
03/07/2017, 11:30 AM
I only use the filter sock when I clean the tank. I take it off 3 days later.

d0ughb0y
03/07/2017, 12:41 PM
Try diy your filter sock. It costs me about 25 cents per 7" diameter sock so I just toss it out and replace a new one every week. You can search for diy filter sock.

Fwiw, I have tried no sock. When I went no sock, my pumps were all gunked up after a month. With sock, my pump is still clean after six months. I also like a clean looking sump.

jacksonpt
03/07/2017, 01:41 PM
My tank has been running for 3ish years now, I think... at least in it's current state, and I've never run socks**. I ran a skimmer up until about a year ago, but I've never been a fan of skimmers.

I do run a media reactor (GFO/carbon), and the foam pads act as filters, but that's the closest thing I run to mechanical filtration.

** I do run socks for about 24hrs if I'm doing something really invasive in the tank... something like moving LR around or big-time sump cleaning. But that only happens about once a year.

scottmccray
03/07/2017, 03:35 PM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/141/MPW-70793
Sorry I couldn't resist.

sick1166
03/07/2017, 05:25 PM
late 90's early 2000's we never ran socks we took wet dry dumped out bioballs used that as sump and let the skimmer take it all out some people ran the a/c floss or mat filter and thru it out every few days or week or whenever but that also caught debri,s un-eaten food, detritus and like a sock the 24/7 of water pounding thru it broke it down even faster so we skipped that and let the skimmer do it all

ChrisATX
03/07/2017, 06:00 PM
I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-100-ft-Preloaded-Drain-Sleeve-34140-6/203092475

I cut off a 12" section and use a hot glue gun to close off one end but... I am a bit anal and you could just as well tie off one of the ends. I tie the open end around my drain pipe. Traps all the big stuff, the skimmer takes care of the rest of it. I throw them away but you could just as well wash them.

I really like the idea of this. Going to have to pick some up and give it a test. At that price comes out to about $.25 each.

ReefCowboy
03/07/2017, 08:50 PM
Mesh socks. One unit will last at least 10 washes, that can be easily done in 3 mins under a sink. A 200 micron would keep things looking good